Westeros Blog: Some Production Notes

Westeros

Just a few bits and bobs of information regarding HBO’s Game of Thrones production, for those who’re interested in the nuts-and-bolts.

<ul>Via silverjaime and Rimshot (commenting over at Winter is Coming, we learn that Shane’s Castle is once again being used as a shooting location; in this case, a part of the extensive property is being set up as the tourney ground for the Hand’s Tourney. From information we’ve received, it seems likely that this location will be used for filming in late August. We also learn that Magheramorne Quarry, site of the Castle Black exterior set, will see (or perhaps has already seen) filming there this week, or next week.<li>In related news, the local Norwegian newspaper Tromso.no has an interview with Amrita Acharya, cast as Irri. It turns out that, though the actress resides in London, she spent much of her early life in Tromso, Norway. She reveals the following about Game of Thrones (translated from the Norwegian):I’ve only been and filmed a single episode so far, and I haven’t met Sean Bean. He’s in another part of the storyline than the one I’m in. He’s mostly filming in Ireland, while the storyline I’m part of is filming in Malta. There’s a lot of established as well as fresh actors involved, and the sets are really huge.

Given that she says she’s filmed, it seems fair to say that the majority of her scenes will be in Malta, but there are some things (interiors, primarily, we expect) that are being or will be filmed in Northern Ireland.

<li>According to David J. Peterson, creator of the Dothraki language for HBO, the Dothraki lexicon has grown to encompass over 2,300 words.<li>Finally, on a lighter note, here’s Finn Jones (Loras Tyrell) and Conan Stevens (Gregor Clegane) on a horse two horses (photo courtesy of Finn Jones). Look out, Isiah Mustafa! The two are currently being put through an intensive crash course in horsemanship in the U.K., according to what Jones and Stevens have previously stated.

Visit the Site!

• 4 weeks later...

There's a more recent interview with Amrita Amchaya in the Norwegian newspaper Dagbladet. I'll make a quick translation of the important bits.

[Filler about HBO’s previous sucesses]

The norwegian girl has been cast in the new HBO show ”Game of Thrones”, which is currently being filmed in Ireland and Malta. The show is based on the series ”Song of Ice and Fire” by George R. R. Martin. The cast is comprised of several well-know actors, such as Sean Bean, best known for his role as Boromir in the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

”This is of course incredible. I have a supporting role, but I am in eight of the ten episodes of the first series. I play Irri, the maid of one of the main characters”, Acharya says to Dagbladet.

A learning experience

The Tromsø native received her education at The Academy of Live and Recorded Arts (ALRA) in London, and has mostly done theater work so far. She says the transition to a production like Game of Thrones is enormous.

”There is a massive crew involved. The budget is huge, and the sets are gigantic. Even though I’m not a main character, this really is a great learning experience.”

And the 23-year-old has a lot to look forward to. Her career is really kicking off, even though it’s only been a year since she got her bachelor’s degree at ALRA.

[information about her other projects, (TV series Doctors, movie The Devil’s Double), background, (Katmandu, Ukraine, England, Tromsø), rejection for Norwegian citizenship, Visa to the UK expiring.]

ETA: Added quote tags.

Noticed at the end of the original article that Canal+ is set to air the show in Fall-Winter 2011. A bit of digging reveals that Canal+ Scandinavia has a 3 year exclusive on HBO content, so I think it's safe to say that Denmark, Sweden, and Finland can also expect the show at about the same time.

Despite the name, Canal+ Scandinavia is not a part of the broader Canal+ family -- it started that way but was sold to a Scandinavian broadcasting group. So the 3 year deal is for Scandinavia only.

Archived