New Exercise and Fitness Thread

cjfshaw

Hahaha! Glad I'm not the only one - I just picked up a couple new cool-weather work out shirts. Super soft to reduce chafing (which is better than the utter shite material they use for warm weather gear).

Chats, sounds awesome! 29:17 with crazy hills is a fantastic time. I haven't done many 5Ks, but the advice I got for my first one was: "Start fast. Then, look at the person ahead of you and pass them. Look at the next person ahead of you, pass that one..." You get the idea.

alguien, I'm jealous of the Santa themed race where they provide hats and beards. Good fun!

I just saw this documentary on Showtime called Bigger, Faster, Stronger that was one man's look at steroids and performance enhancing drugs. Very interesting stuff, and I'd say he made more of a case for than against, though the minute he mentioned "testicular atrophy" as a confirmed side effect, no matter how temporary, I thought to myself, "I'm out, thanks for sharing."

I just saw this documentary on Showtime called Bigger, Faster, Stronger that was one man's look at steroids and performance enhancing drugs. Very interesting stuff, and I'd say he made more of a case for than against, though the minute he mentioned "testicular atrophy" as a confirmed side effect, no matter how temporary, I thought to myself, "I'm out, thanks for sharing."

Yeah.. The biggest problem with steroids (in my opinion) is that they can severely impair the natural hormonal production in the body. It can take years to recover from prolonged use.

Hey guys. I've been out of action for six weeks and I feel terrible. I just went for a 4km run and chucked in some abdominal exercises at the end. Boy am I unfit. I have a goal of being the fittest guy when soccer trials come around again.

Also I need to start working on some muscle building in my chest and back but I'm not really sure I can do that without being able to push/pull/grip anything over 2kg in one arm :(

Ski - see if you can find the little wrap-on weights that you don't have to grip. That may tide you over until you get more grip strength back.

Bit of a disappointment today; I only finished one 8-minute jog in my training this morning. I had to split the other into two 4-minute sections. I find it difficult to explain to the people here; I could get on the elliptical trainer in the gym and go for 50 minutes to an hour, and yet when it came to running outside, my form was so bad I was dreading when I had to do 90 seconds in one go. Some, of course, is that I'm simply shlumping a lot more weight than most everyone else out there, but I've also found that I've had to shorten my stride to keep up turnover as my jogging times increase, so my pace is still in the toilet. So I'm not aiming for a sub-30 5k just yet, but I'll get there someday. ;)

Bit of a disappointment today; I only finished one 8-minute jog in my training this morning. I had to split the other into two 4-minute sections. I find it difficult to explain to the people here; I could get on the elliptical trainer in the gym and go for 50 minutes to an hour, and yet when it came to running outside, my form was so bad I was dreading when I had to do 90 seconds in one go. Some, of course, is that I'm simply shlumping a lot more weight than most everyone else out there, but I've also found that I've had to shorten my stride to keep up turnover as my jogging times increase, so my pace is still in the toilet. So I'm not aiming for a sub-30 5k just yet, but I'll get there someday. ;)

A lot of people have difficulty with the transition from treadmill/ellliptical to road work. Don't beat yourself up. And be realistic about your goal for the 5K. You don't have to run a sub-30 minute time, you only need to run better than the you that never even tried to run it. And everyone else still sitting on the couch. :thumbsup:

So I played indoor soccer on Saturday and I think it was a mistake. I need to keep focused on my 10K fitness goal. I was so sore on Sunday and my pace declined by more than a minute per mile this week. I'm going to beg off this Saturday's soccer game to make sure I'm healthy for the 10k on 11-25. Not sure what I'm going to do for a fitness goal over the winter. I can't see myself running in freezing rain and snow in January. I just want to maintain fitness until the weather makes running bearable again.

So - favorite workout/running gear?

my vote goes to Under Armour.

Its probably my favorite brand, but its so darn expensive. I do love my UA winter running leggings though. I find that Nike does nice running clothes and you can find off-brand dry-fit stuff that's pretty decent.

And of course, the best tek or dry-fit shirts to wear are those you earned in races! ;) The hoodies we got doing the Halloween half marathon are awesome. Dry-fit and very comfortable.

Just did a short two-miler today. 9 minute pace. Felt great and didn't breath hard at all. So nice to be able to go out and do distances I feel like doing!

Well I woke up this morning and dear god body is dying. It's not helping that I'm constantly walking around all day at work, so a solid 8 hours walking. By the end of the day my feet feel like they could almost fall off and I'd be ok with that.

Although I know I most likely need to push through the pain, if only for a shorter session to get a routine and a little bit of consistency. FML.

So - favorite workout/running gear?

my vote goes to Under Armour.

Anything that doesn't chafe. Most of the stuff they sell here isn't soft enough, though it wicks. I have some good stuff by Champion, which I mostly pillaged from the clearance rack at Target. The cold weather stuff I just bought here, I don't even know what brand it is. But it only gave me a bit of tenderness the next day after 3.5 hours of running in the cold. I pronounce it serviceable.

This morning was my last training run before 10K on Thursday. I purposefully ran a slower pace, turned out to be about 11:30 min/mile. I hardly felt winded after running for 60 mins straight. No soreness today beyond the ankle tightness I've been icing and running thru for a week. I feel ready to race. I'm going to make an effort to restrain my pace out of the gate and just really push the pace the last few K's. Weather forecast for Thursday is pretty crappy. They've upped our projected temp from 20's into 40's but instead of snow showers we may get thunderstorms. I'm hoping for the best. I've run in cold temps all fall but still havent run in a cold rain. At least it should be an incentive to get it over with as quickly as possible.

My favorite piece of running gear is my Nike long sleeve Dri-Fit shirt. It's soft and much more comfortable than the "waffled" tech shirts I have. I also have a smartwool cap that's just the right thickness so I dont overheat when running in low temps.

This morning was my last training run before 10K on Thursday. I purposefully ran a slower pace, turned out to be about 11:30 min/mile. I hardly felt winded after running for 60 mins straight. No soreness today beyond the ankle tightness I've been icing and running thru for a week. I feel ready to race. I'm going to make an effort to restrain my pace out of the gate and just really push the pace the last few K's. Weather forecast for Thursday is pretty crappy. They've upped our projected temp from 20's into 40's but instead of snow showers we may get thunderstorms. I'm hoping for the best. I've run in cold temps all fall but still havent run in a cold rain. At least it should be an incentive to get it over with as quickly as possible.

My favorite piece of running gear is my Nike long sleeve Dri-Fit shirt. It's soft and much more comfortable than the "waffled" tech shirts I have. I also have a smartwool cap that's just the right thickness so I dont overheat when running in low temps.

Dude, cold rain is miserable to run in. Snow is okay, you can brush it off, it's dangerous if it covers ice. But Low Temp rain...ick. Best to run like hell just to get out of it faster :D

Best of luck on the 10K, Harlot! Hope its brisk, but not too cold and dry, not wet! I'm sure you'll do fine. Start slow and relax. Have fun! You're gonna do great!

Archived