New Exercise and Fitness Thread

cjfshaw

I went to an actual gymnastic class last night (not just an open gym). It was a lot of fun and I'll definitely be back--I'm so glad I found a place that does actual classes for the 18+ crowd.

We started off warming up on the trampoline, then moved over to the floor for conditioning. 25 calf raises with heels off the mat straight, turned out, and turned in; two twenty-second handstand holds (belly to wall); 100 crunches; 30 side lunges each leg; 2 sets of 20 staggered push-ups (hands staggered with one in front, push up, jump switch hands, push up was one rep); three rope climbs; 5 sets of wide legged squat jumps across the floor. I was doing fine until the push-ups. I was only able to do one set of twenty. The squat jumps made me really out of breath, too. Basically, the conditioning kicked my butt. Then we started the real work.

Bars were set up in four stations. There were two pit bars. One we did hanging pike holds and casts on, the other one tap swings. My back gave out on both pike holds and tap swings--it's going to take me a while to figure out have to work the latest set of issues. Then there were spotted and unspotted stations for back hip circles/clear hips and glide kips. My shoulders were dead by the end of bar rotation.

We finished with vault drills. One station was punch fronts off a spring board onto a two foot mat, another punching from the spring board to a stand on the vaulting table. Then there were round-off rebound either to a stand on a two foot mat or round-off flatbacks onto the same mat, and finally round offs and back handsprings on the tumble track (kind of like a not-too-bouncy trampoline that's good for working tumbling runs). I found I had really strong punches and rebounds, but I was so tired I was having trouble keeping good control of them. It was a great challenge, and I have some work to do concentrating to get a concentrated punch off the floor.

We finished off with some solid stretching.

So much fun! I'm glad I found a good gym out here. I'm still feeling jello limbed today. My back's really tight, too. I have many days of regular stretching ahead of me to get where I need to be.

bigfatcoward,

At Nichole's request, I moved my reply to you in the exercise thread. I actually ran 9 miles this evening at about 9:45 per mile.

As you can see from the link, I burned an estimated 1291 calories in just under an hour and a half. I weigh just about 200lbs, so I now can see how if you weighed more and ran at a faster pace, probably just even a minute faster, you could burn 1500 cal fairly normally.

I used to be really bad about exercising. My wife got me into pilates. I now do them about 5 or 6 days a week, with some weight lifting and a 30 minute walk at lunch.

I still smoke pot and eat crap, but I've gone down at least by 5" or 5 sizes or whatever, probably much more. I'd say I've lost 20-30 pounds. This is easily the best shape I've ever been in.

Anyone who needs a good pilates DVD should check this oneout. It's what I started with. If you're afraid you'll hurt yourself try this one; I was 24 when I started a year ago, so if you're older, you might consider this. That DVD has much more of a beginner/stretch series.

A lot of people sell Pilates short. It's actually a pretty kick ass workout.

About to start the fourth day of my cut.

No cheating on this one. No cheat meals, no early return to bulking because I'm losing strength. I know I'm going to lose strength. I never hit the mark I wanted to on a certain lift, and I probably never will now. But I do know that I could have if I continued bulking... so that's almost just as good. :P

I'm sort of insanely strong right now. I'm hoping I don't lose it all as I drop fat, but I'm sure most is gone.

Bear mode type men always get told they would look like a super hero if they cut up right.

So here's me announcing my intention to cut up right. Pictures in a cape forthcoming. Gimme 4 months.

About to start the fourth day of my cut.

No cheating on this one. No cheat meals, no early return to bulking because I'm losing strength. I know I'm going to lose strength. I never hit the mark I wanted to on a certain lift, and I probably never will now. But I do know that I could have if I continued bulking... so that's almost just as good. :P

I'm sort of insanely strong right now. I'm hoping I don't lose it all as I drop fat, but I'm sure most is gone.

Bear mode type men always get told they would look like a super hero if they cut up right.

So here's me announcing my intention to cut up right. Pictures in a cape forthcoming. Gimme 4 months.

Please post your diet plan along with supplements.

ETA: and i know that cut pain. Anytime i get below 220 my DL's bottom out.

bigfatcoward,

At Nichole's request, I moved my reply to you in the exercise thread. I actually ran 9 miles this evening at about 9:45 per mile.

As you can see from the link, I burned an estimated 1291 calories in just under an hour and a half. I weigh just about 200lbs, so I now can see how if you weighed more and ran at a faster pace, probably just even a minute faster, you could burn 1500 cal fairly normally.

What do you use to measure your energy expenditure alguien? Just curious.

No cheating on this one. No cheat meals, no early return to bulking because I'm losing strength. I know I'm going to lose strength.

I'd strongly urge you to have carb refeeds on 2-3 heavy training days a week depending on how much fat you're packing. Just limit fat intake to very low and overeat carbs. These are not cheat days. You don't get to eat crap. The physiological effects of carb refeeds are more important than the psychological. Having a few anabolic days a week and normalizing hormone levels will really help you in keeping the strength and losing the fat in the long run. This is assuming your goal is to lose fat and not just weight.

What do you use to measure your energy expenditure alguien? Just curious.

The Nike Running accelerametor with iPod Nano and the Nike Running website. The sensor usually gives a pretty accurate measure of your pace throughout the run (sample link here) since its not just a pedometer, and all you have to do is enter your weight and it calculates approximate calories burned.

Please post your diet plan along with supplements.

ETA: and i know that cut pain. Anytime i get below 220 my DL's bottom out.

I'm not strenuous on a specific plan. I keep a food journal and try to hit 2k cals with a 40/40/20 macro split. My wife eats vegetarian now, so it's easy to stay low calorically but hard to hit my protein goals.

So I end up using ON protein powder. Other staples include nuts, blueberries, broccoli, and oatmeal for breakfast every day.

For supplements...

I use Animal Pak. Fish oil and flax seed oil both. And, currently, an ECA stack.

I'm not strenuous on a specific plan. I keep a food journal and try to hit 2k cals with a 40/40/20 macro split. My wife eats vegetarian now, so it's easy to stay low calorically but hard to hit my protein goals.

So I end up using ON protein powder. Other staples include nuts, blueberries, broccoli, and oatmeal for breakfast every day.

For supplements...

I use Animal Pak. Fish oil and flax seed oil both. And, currently, an ECA stack.

2k cals?!?! I cut with 3K and I am only around 200lbs.

Really? Never knew that, but I can see how one might. It's not going to make you lose a lot of weight, because if you're doing pure pilates it's building muscles all over the place.

You definitely have to combine it with some kind of cardio.

I'm sure you've heard it before, and at the risk of pissing of the Globo Gym Rats :) but you should check out Crossfit if you get a chance. If you are willing to hit up some Pilates it might be something you'd enjoy.

speaking of which, what are you guys' top split jerk lifts? It's the work out today and no one in my gym really comes close to what i'm lifting, want to know if i'm off mark with my push, or if i'm selling myself short.

what are you guys' top split jerk lifts?

Not much; I doubt that anyone here would be impressed. I probably should have been able to lift considerably more than I do: I've never even been close to missing a jerk. The problem is that I don't have the courage and confidence to try heavier weights. That brief moment when the bar is above my head without support from my body scares me too much. Any advice for how to overcome this fear?

By the way, I prefer power jerks. The recovery phase of split jerks just feels so awkward.

speaking of which, what are you guys' top split jerk lifts?

130 kg. After cleaning it naturally.

Vethnar,

When the bar is above your head you can think it as a stationary pull up bar you can use to rearrange the feet explosively to the split position by pushing your body downwards. I just made that up and it sounds pretty lame. But as you already know, that's essentially what you're supposed to be doing, using the inertia of the bar to accelerate your body to get under it faster.

The chances that the bar will drop down on your head are infidecimally small. Either you can't lift it high enough to even get it above your head or you can't finish the jerk and lock out the arms. In both cases the reflex of missing the lift forward is so natural and fast you don't even have time to think about it.

130 kg. After cleaning it naturally.

Great, then I can at least lift more than 50% of your max. :)

My best power clean (I haven't learned to squat clean yet) is 87.5 kg, but the biggest weight I have tried jerking is only 70 kg. My body weight is currently 76 kg, after getting rid of the unsightly belly fat I complained about in this post a couple of months ago (by the way, the only dieting I did was to eat one meal less on non-workout days).

When the bar is above your head you can think it as a stationary pull up bar you can use to rearrange the feet explosively to the split position by pushing your body downwards. I just made that up and it sounds pretty lame. But as you already know, that's essentially what you're supposed to be doing, using the inertia of the bar to accelerate your body to get under it faster.

The chances that the bar will drop down on your head are infidecimally small. Either you can't lift it high enough to even get it above your head or you can't finish the jerk and lock out the arms. In both cases the reflex of missing the lift forward is so natural and fast you don't even have time to think about it.

Great advice, as always. Thanks.

Yes, I know how it's supposed to work, and I understand the mechanics of the lift, but it's one of those things that feel scary even though the rational part of my brain knows it isn't really dangerous (sort of like bungee jumping). I guess I should just try to gradually add weight in tiny steps.

‎"If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them."-- Bruce Lee

Inspirational exercise quote of the day...

I did a beginner's yoga class today and it was good. Nice and relaxing, though I wouldn't really call it "exercise." It was more of a "let's get the kinks out of my back and legs after a good hard legs day and night sleeping on too soft of a bed." For that purpose, it was a delightful success. Reverse warrior pose FTW!

I did a beginner's yoga class today and it was good. Nice and relaxing, though I wouldn't really call it "exercise." It was more of a "let's get the kinks out of my back and legs after a good hard legs day and night sleeping on too soft of a bed." For that purpose, it was a delightful success. Reverse warrior pose FTW!

When i lived in England we had a Yoga instructor come to the Fire Station every week and run us through an hour of misery. I found it to be pretty tough, and helped my recovery times, injury avoidance, and range of motion.

Loved it.

Archived