New Exercise and Fitness Thread

cjfshaw

4 mile hike through sandy pine barrens carrying a full cooler on saturday, then again on sunday to get home from camping, then moving furniture on sunday, then a 16 mile naked bike ride also on sunday. thank god for having off on labor day, lol

finally managed to sustain an average of over 300 watts for a full hour on the bike at the gym today, been threatening it for a while. actually more inspired by the weight loss thread than the excercise and fitness thread. but think this achievment deserves to go here.

finally managed to sustain an average of over 300 watts for a full hour on the bike at the gym today, been threatening it for a while. actually more inspired by the weight loss thread than the excercise and fitness thread. but think this achievment deserves to go here.

nice job getting the achievement sir, can you elaborate on what the translates to workout-wise? I'm clueless

nice job getting the achievement sir, can you elaborate on what the translates to workout-wise? I'm clueless

it depends on the different machine manufacturers as there will obviously be inconsistencies.

basically 3 watts per kilo for an hour would be a decent club cyclist

5-6 watts per kilo for an hour would be on the cusp of being an international.

i weigh 95 kilo so just over 3 watts per kilo.

though i have to confess i was blowing out my a$$ by the end and couldn't of turned the pedals once more.

i have been training partly with this in mind, i ate properly beforehand and everything. doubt i'll be able to walk tom or even get out of bed.

When i lived in England we had a Yoga instructor come to the Fire Station every week and run us through an hour of misery. I found it to be pretty tough, and helped my recovery times, injury avoidance, and range of motion.

Loved it.

yeah that part for sure. My right shoulder doesn't have the range of motion it should. I couldn't do the bit where you lace your fingers behind your back and raise your arms up to the sky. Partly its because I'm a bit more muscely than the 5'10", 110-pound instructor chick, but it's also because of all the torn up crap in there.

did a 4.2 mile run/ walk/ trot the other day, and it made me a bit sore. I have to get over my aversion to running as being anathema to a good weightlifting program. When I was running more, I wasn't putting on weight like I am now. Maybe it will take a couple pounds off my squat, so be it.

I'm doing running-as-transportation exercise today. Running/ trotting 5.5 miles to the bike shop, and then walking 1.5 miles to the other bike shop, the whole time with a 15 pound pack on. It should be a nice calorie burner, though a bit rough on the knees. Then I work for 10 hours, thankfully at a desk with a comfy chair, and head out for dinner and drinks afterwards. Happy Friday!!!

Did a five mile run on Tuesday, 9:00 minutes per mile no problem.

Wednesday, did nine miles at 9:00 minutes per mile, with barely any strain. :stunned: I was kinda pleasantly surprised at that. Looks like training is beginning to take!

Yesterday, did another five miles. Legs were kinda tired from the last two runs, so was cruising at like 9:30 a mile. Still not too bad. Three months ago, five miles was my long run.

Have fourteen miles planned for this weekend, a stepback weekend. Its kinda weird to be able to say, "Oh, 14 miles, an easy weekend." :thumbsup:

Next week is peak week. 40 miles. A fiver on Tuesday, ten on Wednesday, five on Thursday, and 20 on Saturday. :ohwell: Should be interesting. I actually think I should be fine.

Then comes the beautiful sweet three-week taper.

That's amazing, alguien. Good to know that hard work pays off.

I watched my sister do a half-marathon (pikermi) last weekend. I had already started training again (veeeeery veeeeery slowly), but it was really fantastic to cheer her on, as well as the other competitors. Oldest runner was 83! And he finished in well under 3 hours!

However, I've decided that if the half-marathon is now a pikermi, I should be able to call a half-5k a pipiggy (as in Miss). It makes me feel better about my own running efforts. :P

did my hellacious day on Friday, as near as I can figure, it was 8 miles @ 10 minutes/ mile, the whole time with the pack on. When I got to work I sucked down two large G2 gatorades over the course of the next two hours, and I didn't even have to pee afterwards. I was really dehydrated.

Yesterday I was pressed for time so I did a speed workout involving high reps, alternating sets, and low rest. Today I'm working a 12 hour shift, so the goal is to conserve energy at all times.

Evening ladies and gents!

I haven't been posting much because, for the most part, I've been a lazy sack of not-exercise. That's got to change though, because today I signed up for what will likely be my last races of the year: A half marathon on 30 October and a full on 14 November. If I count those, I will have run races on my brother's, sister's and elder nephew's birthdays this year.

Good times. Still a chance at getting under 4:00 for the full.

Five miles on Tuesday went OK. 10 miler on Wednesday was alright, but my legs felt stiff and weird.

And today, when I went to run this morning, my left leg was pretty sore, so much so that I stopped at about 3 miles to stretch. Judging by where the pain is, central upper thigh by the hip, I think I might have strained the rectus femoris tendon in my quadricep.

Luckily, I will have two-three days full rest before I attempt my 20-miler.

Here's a short training video for your viewing pleasure featuring myself and my little brother. :)

wow, cool video, Finn. That's really you?

Does anyone have any squat programs they could recommend? I'm feeling like I'm finally in good enough shape to benefit from a real kick ass, professionally designed squat routine.

That said, I think I'm bailing on the competition on Nov 6. The main concern is money. I'll still go to spectate if I can get the time off of work.

Here's a short training video for your viewing pleasure featuring myself and my little brother. :)

That's a huge front squat.

Does anyone have any squat programs they could recommend? I'm feeling like I'm finally in good enough shape to benefit from a real kick ass, professionally designed squat routine.

That said, I think I'm bailing on the competition on Nov 6. The main concern is money. I'll still go to spectate if I can get the time off of work.

Smolov. It's tough as hell, but a very good squat program.

Yes, that's really me.

About Smolov. I find the program to be harder for your head than it is for your body... which doesn't mean it isn't hard for the body because it most definitely is. But if you eat enough and get enough sleep and avoid all kinds of extra strenous activity it will force quick adapatations and you can handle it. You will most likely suffer from lack of confidence at some point though. Don't really have any wise words on what to do when it happens. It's just good to know it isn't anything uncommon when doing rough specialization programs like Smolov. :)

That's a huge front squat.

48 kg girls can front squat that. Any average man of my size can do the same with some hard work and dedication. It's nothing special.

Archived