So I read a Stanek book

Larry.

I had never heard of Mr. Stanek before reading this post, I long for that innocence stolen from me.

Alas, we mourn for our lost innocence!

I should stop reading things that will damage my poor brain even more.

But anyway, I was talking about the free "In the Service of Dragons" intro, where the book is read by someone named "Karl Fehr" who has a vaguely Scottish accent. He is listed as the narrator for those books. I guess the narrator for the other books is Stanek himself. If this is an improvement, I'm scared.

I'm fairly certain "Karl Fehr" is Robert Stanek (I think this has been brought up here in a previous discussion about Stanek audio books).

If you compare Service of Dragons (supposedly read by Fehr) to Keeper Martin's Tale (read by Stanek) it is the same voice.

He probably just made of the name to make his audio books appear more legitimate, instead of a self published vanity effort read by the author.

However, he eventually ended up hiring people to narrate his war memoir and bugville children books.

Apparently Stanek is a true Renaissance man; he did the illustrations as well.

Not bad, for an amateur. They're certainly goofy, but they're on par with a lot of stuff bad fantasy illustrators actually get paid for. (Or should I say: his choices are goofy, but his technical skill is far better than mine.) I'm wondering if he lifted them from somewhere.

Larry, I wanted to point that the grasp of French you show in the blog post could be compared unfavourably to Stanek's grasp of drawing.

Just saying, since this was all about criticizing amateurism... :leaving:

But this go me curious: could I really say "Stanek's object of crap" without it feeling horribly stilted?

True, but I have always said that I am just barely at the level where I could read French without needing to rely on dictionaries for everything. So I certainly wouldn't take offense at it...or try to write passages about the shoulder armor or the dead fox coat in French :P

:D That would actually be an interesting endeavour.

Anyway, that girl is obviously a fire mage, the fox is an homage (on the other hand I'm not too sure what the head on the staff is supposed to be, but I would guess a dragon, a dragon king, because draconic dragonships of dragons is where it's at)

I'm fairly certain "Karl Fehr" is Robert Stanek (I think this has been brought up here in a previous discussion about Stanek audio books).

If you compare Service of Dragons (supposedly read by Fehr) to Keeper Martin's Tale (read by Stanek) it is the same voice.

He probably just made of the name to make his audio books appear more legitimate, instead of a self published vanity effort read by the author.

However, he eventually ended up hiring people to narrate his war memoir and bugville children books.

Hmmm. I think you actually did say this earlier in the thread but I missed it that time, sorry.

In any case....is that really his accent? Or is it just that when he practiced a fake vaguely Scottish accent, he only learned one way of intonation--because that would explain it all.

Just listened to an audio sample read by Fehr/Stanek, whoever, and...wow. I honestly can't comment on the quality of the writing because I just couldn't listen. Seriously. It's like my ears have bubble-wrapped themselves in the hopes that that voice will just bounce off. Sounds like he's trying to imitate John Malkovich while being violated from behind and liking it a little bit.

Hmmm. I think you actually did say this earlier in the thread but I missed it that time, sorry.

In any case....is that really his accent? Or is it just that when he practiced a fake vaguely Scottish accent, he only learned one way of intonation--because that would explain it all.

I imagine that it would be his “stage voice” – since he was born and raised in Wisconsin.

I wonder if he speaks in this tone of voice when he conducts his computer seminars?:

However bad his Ruinmist readings are – they are nothing as bad as his reading of his spy thriller The Pieces of the Puzzle, which he reads at a breakneck pace.

Archived