ASOIAF Weight Loss Challenge II

Seventh Pup

I'm wondering- if I'm trying to do the OPPOSITE of this thread, would people be offended or put off by me putting up a weight GAIN challenge (not that anyone would use it but me, but it'd be good motivation.) Is there a need to create another thread?

I'm wondering- if I'm trying to do the OPPOSITE of this thread, would people be offended or put off by me putting up a weight GAIN challenge (not that anyone would use it but me, but it'd be good motivation.) Is there a need to create another thread?

doubtful seeing as I'm already here doing just that.

ran a mile to the gym, slight warmup jog, then stretching, then attempting to squat but...then I had to run for 35+ minutes because there were 0 racks available and I didn't want to waste my time just standing around. Bad idea, when I got to the lifting I couldn't as much as I should have been able to. Also I'm trying to gain some lbs so running was probably a bit counter productive. I think next time this happens I will do pistols and lunges instead of running.

deadlifts: 2x5 @ 135 lbs, 1x5 @ 145 lbs, 1x5 @ 155 lbs

*attempted 165 but I couldn't move the bar*

glute-ham raises: 3x5

back squats: 1x5 @ 115 lbs, 1x5 @ 125 lbs, 1x5 @ 135 lbs, 1x5 @ 145 lbs, 1x5 @ 155 lbs, 1x3 @ 165 lbs

front squats: 1x135 = big fail in my opinion

shitty workout once again this week. I thought beginners were supposed to see big gains? lol Nah but I think it's my own fault for exhausting myself with too much running/warmup sets beforehand. I know today wasn't a good leg day because I can't feel my thighs rubbing together.

My third tweak is going to be slightly situational, but it will come in handy later this challenge as well...

I'm on leave from work from this Thursday, 26th August, to Tuesday 7th September, and again in late September and early October - leaving the country during the second batch of leave but not during the first. Being on leave and staying at home is normally when my healthiness decreases, because I don't do any exercise and although I eat quite healthily, I often eat too much for my minimal energy output.

I will therefore make sure I do at least my normal three hours' exercise a week when I'm on leave, and will use sensible portion control instead of letting things go crazy just because my normal routine has been disrupted.

Yesterday was horrible. I was not feeling well, I think I ate something that did not agree with my body. I didn't eat much all day and I drank two sodas. I wanted the fizzy drinks to help settle my stomach. No exercising since I felt achy and had a horrible headache.

Luckily, today I feel so much better.

Something happened last night to detonate my diet. Maybe I felt a little cheated for a little too long, maybe I'm hormonal, I don't know. But after a day that included good, healthy meals (typical breakfast, salad for lunch, chicken & asparagus for dinner) I absolutely blew my diet apart by baking some gluten-free chocolate chip cookies. I think part of me was deeply curious to see how they would taste, and unfortunately (and fortunately) they tasted really friggen good, so I had three of them. Then I had popcorn, McDonald's fries, and three vodka/lemonade drinks. Woops. I guess I don't feel very deprived any longer!

Back on track, back on track!

Luckily, today I feel so much better.

I'm glad you are feeling better, Nichole. Soda is the only thing that will sooth my stomach when I've had something bad.

Something happened last night to detonate my diet.

Your last night sounds like my Friday. Its hard to go cold turkey on so many things. Baby steps.

Yesterday was good. I managed to resist the home made donuts despite the fact that at one point the platter was brought into my office and placed directly in front of me. In the afternoon I sat there and watched everyone eat birthday cake and I didn't have any *sob* I walked to and from work and I did 30 minutes on the trampoline. I did allow myself a scoop of hazelnut gelato.

I have to go out to dinner tonight and I'm going to try to be really good about portion control. I do not need to eat everything!

Had some minor surgery the other day, so I wont be able to do many physical things for a while. For my tweaks (which I haven't been too successful with sticking to so far,)I will go back to the basics. Keeping it pretty vague, but will just try to eat better. Healthier snacks, less bread, more fruit and some vegetables will have to become part of my diet.

I'm back ~

A couple notes first --

'Turkey bacon/sausage' type stuff - need to be careful, sure it may look low in fat, but they skyrocket the sodium to help the turkey have flavor. I had thought about switching over but it was actually worse than standard bacon in some cases.

Milk in tea - since tea itself is pretty non-caloric, I would think having lowfat milk added would not be that much of a detriment, as long as you didn't go overboard of course. It would in fact add a source of calcium and vitamin D to your diet. (you really put milk in Earl Grey? :stunned:)

Chocolate -- my mother has this 'healthy chocolate' that is supposed to be really good for you. She has been taking it for almost a year and has greatly reduced her arthritis pain/medication as well as improved in a number of other areas. It is naturally caffine free, high in anti-oxidants and works as an appetite supressent. It isn't really 'candy' but more like a dark almost bitter chocolate.

She gave me a box of the Omega squares that have Omega 3 and flax seeds blended into them, so maybe my Tweak this week is to try to take at least one square a day, maybe 2 and see if that helps.

Fake Sugars - I saw my mom had a box of Sun Crystals, has anyone tried it? It's a sweetner made with sugar and Stevia plant extracts. Since I'm allergic to most synthetic sweetners, I wondered if this would make me have a reaction too. Of course I forgot to lift a few packets while I was there... :unsure:

As for the 'Mom' report, things went really well. the doctor was super pleased with her heart cath and said a stint wasn't necessary. ("I wish more of my 70yr old patients had veins like that!"). She will have to take a little stronger dose of meds for AFib and some fluid retention, but other that - she's a healthy goat.

While I was there, I only gained half the weight I was afraid of, so that wasn't too bad. I botched up my knee somehow, so the stairs might have to wait another day or two for that to get worked out.

At the hospital I had a really nice meal of broiled salmon and veggies, but after that it was downhill...

I got a migraine on Saturday, so it pushed my weekly 2 soda limit to 3, but other than that and drank water or tea.

I have salad for tonight and a pretty tasty Fat Free Raspberry vinegrette to go with it.

Hope you recover from surgery fast Callum.

Good to your mom is doing well Tobin.

I just weighed myself for the week. I'm down one pound. While I'm happy about that, I feel like I've done a hell of a lot of work for just one freaking pound. Oh well. I'm probably not going to weigh myself next week. I'll be getting my period and I just don't want to see how badly that sets me back.

Weighed myself last night 155.1, down .2 lb which to me says I'm staying even. I kind of knew that would be my weightloss pattern, but after having such a good first week I had hoped for perhaps more of a lose.

Of course I had a family party this weekend and partook of the homemade corn bread, easter pototoes, bagettes, fried fish, and double chocolate cake. Not to mention that I had a 1/4 lb of chocolate on Sunday. I should have made better choices, but I still got 10 weeks to turn this thing around. I feel better every week, and have even started to play sexy shadow when I walk my dog at night. :)

ETA

Tobin I am glad to hear everything went well with your mom's surgery.

Lady N I am truly impressed with you restraint. Seriously perhaps you are part shoalin monk after all. The doughnuts where right there, and yet you let them pass. Your kung fu is truly strong.

Callum get better soon!

Welcome S'vrones! So S'vrones what is the thing you are going to tweak in your life style for the next ten weeks?

I'm going to work out like nutso and cut the processed carbs.

I'm doing ok with cutting out sugar, for the last day at least. Had a DELICIOUS coke with grenadine at a karaoke bar last night (didn't feel like drinking), which is just tablespoons and tablespoons of sugar, so that wasn't good, but I imagine it's better than boozing. Haven't done dessert, but white bread is just SOO good. I could eat an entire loaf. Hence why I need to just go cold-turkey on simple carbs. One serving leads to two which leads to three...

I managed 8 miles on Monday and 2 miles + Insanity on Tuesday, and I'm feeling pretty good about it. Whenever I stretch I'm finding sore muscles I didn't even know I had.

In other news, I got a job waitressing at a moderately expensive and popular restaurant. It's not optimal, but it will pay for gas and textbooks, and I figure it's better for weight loss than sitting at a desk job.

In other news, I got a job waitressing at a moderately expensive and popular restaurant. It's not optimal, but it will pay for gas and textbooks, and I figure it's better for weight loss than sitting at a desk job.

A desk job is responsible for me gaining about ten pounds. I didn't think I did that much when I worked retail, but just sitting all day does make a difference. Good luck at the new job.

Seventh Pup, Your week 2 sounds like mine.

Lady N I am truly impressed with you restraint. Seriously perhaps you are part shoalin monk after all. The doughnuts where right there, and yet you let them pass. Your kung fu is truly strong.

Apparently I was only strong on Monday so I could cave and have peach cobbler on Tuesday. I was doing so well at dinner last night - I got my entree and I basically halved everything and only ate half my dinner and got the rest to go. But then the peach cobbler...*sigh* I guess at least it had fruit in it? LOL.

stress-workout

Helps me a lot. I can start my work out sooooo pissed at the world and stressed about things in my life. By the end, I'm ready to take it all on and feel pretty good about things in general. Also, if I work out after dinner, I'm not tempted to eat sweets. Once I finish my work out, I don't feel a need to snack.

Kinda had a bad day today. It was a hectic day at work and I didn't get much of a lunch break, so I ended up grabbing a couple slices of pizza the office provided for us. This is after having pizza for lunch yesterday as my reward for being really good the past week. Then I got out of work late, had to jump through a lot of hoops and run a bunch of errands due to a sick cat, and had a late dinner. I also skipped my exercise routine because I'm worn out. At least I spent a lot of time on my feet today and dinner was pretty sensible.

On the other hand, I'm down a few pounds total, probably something like 4 or 5. I can also tell I've put on a bit of muscle, so overall fat loss is probably more than that. Last time I weighed myself I was 130 lbs. Yay! I also noticed my pants seem to be hanging loose again, so I may soon have to buy a smaller belt as I'm out of notches on my current belt. Double yay!

stress-workout

Yes-yes, this works.

Tuesday evening-Wednesday afternoon was the One Day All Month I Eat Like Crazy (energy crashes = not good), but I made sure what I was Eating Like Crazy was healthy stuff plus about half a chocolate bar. Normal service will now be resumed. Am now on holiday and for the first session of my holiday-exercise tweak, I fully intend to spend most of tomorrow at an ice rink for the first time in six years or so. God, am I going to be embarrassed. (But toned.)

Archived