Westeros Blog: Castle Black Set (and a Waycastle?)

Westeros

Thanks to Zanthia2, we now have an image of the Castle Black film set at Magheramorne Quarry after filming has commenced there. As you can see, part of the quarry wall has been painted white, which fits reports we’ve had from extras. The picture was taken from a nearby island:

x2_269cb3eOne detail that leaps to mind is the structure on the quarry tier immediately above the white-washed section of wall. It looks like an arch and a low wall around it. We’re not 100% sure, but we think this could explain word that actor Brendan McCormack was starting filming in the middle of this month. Could it be that McCormack, in the role of Ser Vardis Egan, will be shooting scenes set on the climb up to the Eyrie at the quarry? If so, that structure we see there could very well be one of the way castles, perhaps Snow or Sky.

Alternatively, the structure—if it does have anything at all to do with the production—might be used to show one of the gates and tunnels that lead through the Wall.

Thanks to Zanthia2for the photo, and Winter is Coming for the retweet.

Visit the Site!

Hrm, maybe. Looks too much like an arched gate to my eyes.

I'm guessing it's more of a structure built on top of the wall - something up there for Black Bros. to take some shelter in on the coldest and windiest days of Winter. It could also be the where the cage goes when it is winched up to the top of the wall. By building it actually directly above the Castle Black set they can just use the same actual cage for the bottom and top as we see it rise.

There is a sort of hut up there in the books, but it's the gate-like look of it and the fact that it's pale -- like pale stone (or like ice). Hrm... don't know. I do know McCormack's agency has said he was starting work in mid-August, and as we know from an extra, they've actually been shooting at least one non-Night's Watch scene at Magheramorne.

I guess the white stuff I took to be a low sort of wall could be fake ice to shoot scenes from on top the wall, but I don't really understand why it seems like the blocks are so very tall.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any new information about the visual effects companies that will be involved in the series?

Personally I'm hoping that the same company that did HBO's John Adams series get the job. They did such a terrific work that I didn't even notice that most of the sets were CGI made.

Archived