So I just had the shit beaten out of me

Ski the Swift

I haven't commented on violence in the US, or gun ownership, or stereotypes of any kind, other than what I thought was an erroneous one in relation to Britain. How a single misreading of your level of sarcasm in a different thread on a completely different subject, one unrelated to geopolitics, can be taken to demonstrate anti-Americanism sparked by the war is, to put it mildly, a mystery to me.

Even if there was a pattern of repeated hostility, is it not possible that hostility could be directed towards a strand of political belief or, God forbid, you, rather than towards an entire nationality?

Even if there was a pattern of repeated hostility, is it not possible that hostility could be directed towards a strand of political belief or, God forbid, you, rather than towards an entire nationality?

I think that's very likely. You could argue that it's stereotyping, but there's a fine line between a stereotype and a reasonable generalization, and it would be pretty tough to have a decent discussion if some reasonable generalizations weren't permitted.

Is it obligatory for you to include some sort of potshot against Americans in every post? Its quite possible the opinions of one American about crime in the US or some members of a radio show are not indicative of the opinions of 300 million and the situation may be a little more nuanced than that.

Hey, some of my best friends are Americans. Let us not forget that the stereotyping has been going both ways; I'm not entirely thrilled at seeing my country dismissed, yet again, as a quaint land full of dainty tea-sippers.

and it has nothing at all to do with the fact that I'm just massively bored at work and spoiling for a fight, no sir. Nothing to see here, move along.

Wait, are you saying that you wouldn't agree with me ever? Just based on principle? That hurts my heart.

Ha. No, I'm sure there are plenty of things we agree on.

Of course! If there weren't, I wouldn't be asking and repeatedly saying that it could be a misperception. Although I actually think it's a perceptual and coincidental thing, as opposed to some idea that British people on the Board dislike me in particular right now than they do generally.

Anyway, it was phrased as a question. Jesus christ.

Anyway, it was phrased as a question. Jesus christ.

"Brits are really mad at us at this particular moment aren't they?"

Do you really think that sounds like an open question?

"Over the war, must be?"

Because it certainly sounds like you've not only made up your mind, but you've got a pretty good idea of the reason.

Come on now, you've grasped on to flimsy evidence and used it to jump to an erroneous conclusion.

Edit: Work is finished, the bar has opened and my wife is at the seaside for the day, so if you'll forgive me, I'll have to call a temporary halt to the bickering. Now where's my Stars and Stripes and lighter?

Hmmm...I suppose that was poor phrasing. I really have not made up my mind at all and intended to ask an open-ended question. Now that you've pointed it out, I see that I did that very poorly. My sincere apologies.

I also did not mean to imply that people were being meaner to American boarders because they are American, but that it seemed people were a little more annoyed than usual at the usual American stereotypes and more inclined to see them in all their glory in people's posts.

The only time i felt sketched out when living over there was in Morocco and Prague. For different reasons.

Can I ask why you felt like that in Morocco? Except for the total lack of sanitary bathrooms everyone there was surprisingly kind.

Is it obligatory for you to include some sort of potshot against Americans in every post?

Brits take the piss out of everybody. Its just the way things are done. We verbally/textually poke people instead of bombing them. :box:

(This was a poke btw)

Can I ask why you felt like that in Morocco? Except for the total lack of sanitary bathrooms everyone there was surprisingly kind.

We took the boat over from Cadiz. The minute.. i mean the minute i got off the boat we were pestered by the locals trying to be our 'tour guide'. They followed us everywhere. I stand out over there, i know (blonde haired, blue eyed, big american) but they would pick us out of the crowd and bother the hell out of us.

When we refused their services they were going ahead of us in the crowd and telling the merchants to call us Jews and Babykillers (neither one bothered me)

Hercules cavern was cool, and the tea was nice, but all and all i didn't have that good of an experience.

We took the boat over from Cadiz. The minute.. i mean the minute i got off the boat we were pestered by the locals trying to be our 'tour guide'. They followed us everywhere. I stand out over there, i know (blonde haired, blue eyed, big american) but they would pick us out of the crowd and bother the hell out of us.

When we refused their services they were going ahead of us in the crowd and telling the merchants to call us Jews and Babykillers (neither one bothered me)

Hercules cavern was cool, and the tea was nice, but all and all i didn't have that good of an experience.

Not at all the experience I had. I am not blond haired or blue-eyed, but I've got the big American thing going. I got hassled much less there than in other developing countries in which I physically stood out.

ETA: Hell, my friends and I stayed in a random Berber's house in the mountains when our van couldn't make it through the icy passes one night. He even gave us dinner and tea.

Archived