Aussies L

Paxter

It looked mostly like Collingwood have better physios than St Kilda - they looked tired, especially when attacking, like they hadn't recovered as well as the Magpies from last week.

On the plus side, this version of football seems quite exciting, even when the game does turn into a walkover. I'm tempted to pick a team and start following it properly next season.

It looked mostly like Collingwood have better physios than St Kilda - they looked tired, especially when attacking, like they hadn't recovered as well as the Magpies from last week.

On the plus side, this version of football seems quite exciting, even when the game does turn into a walkover. I'm tempted to pick a team and start following it properly next season.

WELL it may interest you to know that GRRM supports Essendon :-) (Disclaimer: we ended the year poorly and things probably won't improve for a hwile at least)

St Kilda was just a second too slow in everything they did - the number of times somebody received a handball only to have it juggle in his hands, well that leads to a sh1te second handball and another fumble and so forth. I still maintain that Lenny Hayes should be captain. No offense to Riewoldt but he just doesn't exude leadership. He's a great player though. But that mark, play on and non-goal in the goal square should never happen to a captain, in a grand final, when your team has failed to score a goal

GRRM doesn't "support" Essendon, he just has family/friends that force him to. In his heart of hearts we all know he goes for the Swans since he likes having them on banquet tables so often.

I watched the awarding of the medals on Saturday, that and the last 5 minutes last week was all I saw of the GF apart from what was on the news. This week was me alone on the couch reading, last week was 30 friends trashing my joint - I much preferred this week.

My uncle won $30k on a bet he put on at the start of the year for the Pies/Dragons double whammy.

In other news - Summer is coming people, I almost put on the air con yesterday!

If there were a "like" function on here, I would feel inclined to click it now. I cannot wait to stop wearing lots of clothing, it gets in the way of comfort.

GRRM doesn't "support" Essendon, he just has family/friends that force him to. In his heart of hearts we all know he goes for the Swans since he likes having them on banquet tables so often.

Bah! The most fanatical supporters are the ones forced into it by family/ friends. And since I've agreed to go for the Jets, I expect GRRM to keep up his end of the bargain.

It's so exciting - I wore thongs all weekend and almost fainted walking to the supermarket due to the sun exposure. Felt a little light headed.

The next best exciting part SHOULD HAVE BEEN leaving work tonight while it is still daylight but apparently it's going to be raining anyway. Have to play netball (outdoors) AND I spilt lunch juice on my uniform. Great ......

My uncle won $30k on a bet he put on at the start of the year for the Pies/Dragons double whammy.

That's awesome! Are those his favourite teams, or did he somehow predict their form??

Not in Sydney, I've had the heating on the last 2 days.

It's been raining all weekend and we have a long weekend in NSW.

We've had the opposite here in the West - it's been all blue skies, warm weather and empty dams in Perth recently. I just got back from a day-trip to Katanning and it was almost uncomfortably hot in the car at times. On the bright side, I did manage to visit one of WA's premier tourist attractions - Wagin's Big Ram (note the awesomeness of the weather today...can't really say the same for the Ram which, although still a good laugh, was looking decidedly less impressive than when I was 12).

Also: End of the road for Bomber.

ETA: Malt, good to see that we've converted you. And it almost goes without saying that you should choose Freo as your team (we have the whole underdog thing going for us, coupled with the much-maligned theme song which is notable for being worse than God Save The Queen)

WELL it may interest you to know that GRRM supports Essendon :-) (Disclaimer: we ended the year poorly and things probably won't improve for a hwile at least)

This is a point in their favour.

ETA: Malt, good to see that we've converted you. And it almost goes without saying that you should choose Freo as your team (we have the whole underdog thing going for us, coupled with the much-maligned theme song which is notable for being worse than God Save The Queen)

You also have one of the more colourful jerseys, it seems.

Anyway, I've done some research (translation: read the teams' Wikipedia pages) and I'm finding it hard to make a decision. Do I stick with St Kilda after supporting them in the final? Do I choose the team with the best nickname (probably the Power)? Do I go for the ones with the nicest jerseys? I can't decide. Perhaps I'll just go with the West Coast Eagles, solely because it would annoy Stubby.

If you were a 14 year old girl I'd say go with the team with the hottest guys.

I don't even know which team that would be at this point in time. My suggestion would be to go for the team that has the closest "culture" to your own in whatever code you currently support.

Eg: are you working class (Footscray), white collar (Essendon), blue blood (Melbourne)? Is your team rich with a proud history (Collingwood/ Carlton/ Essendon)? Are they battlers always on the fringe or within reach but never quite there (Footscray, North Melbourne)? If you like good theme songs, I think all impartial people would say that Richmond's is the best.

Malt,

If you ever utter one word of support for WCE you will be dead to me.

Just sayin'.

Even when they're playing Collingwood?

Anyway, I've decided to be boringly logical, and as a new fan, I will support the new team. Go Gold Coast!

Now here me you bloody AFL fans, quit jacking our thread! We have the right to speak out about our struggles, our woes, our very being Australian without living in fear of being overwhelmed by incoherent AFL babble!

I will no longer tolerate it!

Begone yon fools!

Yeah, I know I’m not supposed to be the sappy one in this thread, but today I’m making an exception.

It’s a year to the day since my 21 year old cousin died in his sleep, after losing his silent battle with an ice addiction. Though a year has passed and I’ve mostly comes to terms with his death, the memories have returned recently. Brendan was born three days before me and we did most things together as kids, including attending the same kindy and primary school. The most enduring memories of my childhood involve me and my cousins embarking on some crazy adventure or other at our family’s orchard, and he was always right there in the thick of it.

Brendan was outgoing, enthusiastic, charismatic, fiercely loyal to his mates and eager to have new experiences and broaden his horizons. He had an incredible passion for life and a very clear idea of what he thought happiness and “winning at life” felt like. In many ways I looked up to him because he always seemed to have a much greater sense of direction than me: who he wanted to be, what he wanted to do, where he wanted to go. And I’m sure that he would have fought with every ounce of his strength before his addiction defeated him. To this day I don’t know what drove him to drugs, but whatever the issues were, I’ll live to regret the fact that he never felt able to discuss them openly with me. There are a lot of unanswered questions and they’ll probably remain unanswered. The only thing that I can say for certain is that Glory games haven’t been the same since.

RIP Brendan Rossi 27 December 1987 – 6 October 2009

I'm sorry about your cousin Pax, my own favourite cousin has spent his adulthood fighting his own battles with addiction. It is a horrible thing to watch someone you love go through and there is always a part of me waiting for that phone call...

RIP Brendan

That truly sucks, Pax. I hope your family is doing well.

And Brook I hope your cousin is able to win his battles soon

A really close friend of mine is kinda expecting his mum to pass away in the next few weeks. She had breast cancer, then was in remission, then got tumours in her lung and then also had brain lesions. She raised him pretty much on her own so they are extremely close. The closest mother/ son combo I've ever met. Such a feeling of helplessness from everybody involved.

Hang in there, Pax.

These reminders and anniversaries will come and go and they will be hard. But they will pass and you can take the opportunity to remember the good things about your cuz.

Give us a bell if you need a chat.

Commiserations Pax

.. survived a wet weekend on the North Coast

Music festival washed out

knee deep in mud

yet another flood

I'm happy to be back in Sydney

also happy about the cricket.. nail biting stuff

( and counting down to losing Punter.. he's horrible"

Thanks for the support. I'm not always that great when it comes to speaking about these sorts of things with family and friends, so it means a fair bit to have you guys around on the board and in chat.

@brook: I hope that your cousin's situation improves and you never have to receive that phone call.

@Luce: Sorry to hear about your friend's mum. One of my friends went through a similar thing a few years ago and it really is tough.

@wolfie: You're due some good luck. Hope everything is OK for you now.

Archived