A Thread for Small Questions IV

Lady Blackfish

I'm not strictly sure Aerys was especially in his right mind when he sent these various commands, so inconsistencies are, I think, to be expected.

It's a good question as to what Aerys knew of Rhaegar's actions.

Well, if he asks for Lord Arryn's head, too, then he really is daring the whole Vale to rise up, and besides, just because the son was of the party doesn't mean that Varys had suitably poisoned his mind against the whole family just yet.

So, he acts on the poison he has been fed to date, and demands only the heads of the targeted families of the moment, and from an honorable man who he thinks is likely to deliver them (out of loyalty). Also, it could have been a test of Jon Arryn, where failure was not necessarily open rebellion: probably the worst he expected was Arryn putting him off and shielding them in the Eyrie.

Or you could just stop at the fact they do call him Aerys the Mad.

Well, by taking Lord Starks and his heir's head he has the whole north against him which had been an independent kingdom for quite some time...

And if he was being fed all these ideas by Varys, what the hell is the eunuchs agenda?

Or you could just stop at the fact they do call him Aerys the Mad.

:) true...

In regards to Rhaegar, When Ser Barristan is talking about how Rhaegar is "bookish" and found somthing in his studies that made him become a warrior, Is it assumed that he found a passage that led him to believe he was the prince that was promised? While later changing his mind and that it was one of his children?

Jaehaerys the Conciliator, Aerys the Mad King, Maekar, and, uhm, a lot of other Targaryens had beards. So I can't imagine that's what Jurble is speculating.

No, I don't think Sam has a beard. At least, I don't believe one is ever mentioned.

Not afraid of him, just really, really dislikes him. It's Tom o' Sevens. Catelyn says way back in AGoT that Edmure hated singers, ever since a singer bedded a girl he had fancied. We later hear from ASoS that Tom bedded a girl that Edmure fancied, because Edmure had gotten too drunk and was ... unable to perform. Problem was, Tom then went on to make up a song about a "floppy fish", a bit of ribaldry that Catelyn seems to be unaware of, but is obviously a big part of the reason Edmure got hot under the collar.

Jaehaerys the Conciliator, Aerys the Mad King, Maekar, and, uhm, a lot of other Targaryens had beards. So I can't imagine that's what Jurble is speculating.

I was going to go with "Did Rhaegar have a beard?" after that, but it seems I was preempted.

Ohhh, looks like I win!

Mad Monkey - 1 | Ran - 24,691

Gilly?

I think he's overselling that particular pretense.

That's funny that you ask that, as I was just pondering this question yesterday. I have seen someone else suggest it was Varys, but it's hard to suppose Ned would necessarily give the eunuch's recommendation much attention. Perhaps others have heard of the former First Sword being in King's Landing, and enough said that the First Swords are supposed to be the best of the best, etc. It's a real question.

Archived