A Thread for Small Questions IV

Lady Blackfish

Mad Monkey,

Sure enough, but I think that Daenerys has had some bad run-ins with so-called prophecy, to the point she's not apt to count on any.

When the crones told Drogo and Daenerys (D&D) that their child would be Stallion who mounts the World, I was thinking that SwmW would be Dany, not their child. Crones could die horrible without spitting any blood, you know :)

Do the Old Crones mention the child in Dany's belly specifically? Perhaps they were talking about her Dragons. She is the 'mother' of Dragons after all.

Or, better yet, perhaps Danys will have another child. Interesting.

^_^

They do specifically reference the child she's carrying. It's why she has to eat the stallion's heart etc. The SwmW is an example of prophecy being fallible. Or as some guy in a book once said:

"Gorghan of Old Ghis once wrote that a prophecy is like a treacherous woman. She takes your member in her mouth, and you moan with the pleasure of it and think, how sweet, how fine, how good this is... and then her teeth snap shut and your moans turn to screams. That is the nature of prophecy, said Gorghan. Prophecy will bite your prick off every time.”

Bloodraven's getting a bit of discussion right now in my thread on the 3 eyed crow.

Egg wanted me to help him rule, but I knew my place was here. He sent me north aboard the Golden Dragon, and insisted that his friend Sir Duncan see me safe to Eastwatch. No recruit had arrived at the Wall with so much pomp since Nymeria sent the Watch six kings in golden fetters. Egg emptied out the dungeons too, so I would not need to say my vows alone. My honor guard, he called them. One was no less a man than Brynden rivers. Later he was chosen lord commander."

"Bloodraven?" said Dareon. "I know a song about him. 'A Thousand Eyes, and One,' it's called. But I thought he lived a hundred years ago."

"We all did. Once I was as young as you."

Guest Other-in-Law

So, are Martinworld wolves weird? Or is Jon Snow stupid? (In reference to "wolves also have claws" or whatever.) I know they have dewclaws, but those don't count.

What, you think RW wolves don't have claws? All members of the order Carnivora have claws (unless the Pinnipeds are included as a suborder).

I was reading Clash of Kings for the umpteenth time, and noticed a line where Maester Luwin mentions that the crannogmen grew close to the children of the forest when the greenseers tried to bring the hammer of the waters down on the neck. I never noticed that before. So now my head is swimming with questions and speculation about what could have caused them to try and cut themselves off from the realms of men a second time. I only hope that later books will reveal the answers.

What, you think RW wolves don't have claws? All members of the order Carnivora have claws (unless the Pinnipeds are included as a suborder).

We are taught in school that wolves have only four claws on the back leg," co-author Dr Paolo Ciucci, of the Universita di Roma "La Spaienza", told BBC News Online.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3602741.stm

Jon is not thinking of useless back leg claws. The dude's clearly thinking that wolves have like, offensive claws.

Guest Other-in-Law

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3602741.stm

Jon is not thinking of useless back leg claws. The dude's clearly thinking that wolves have like, offensive claws.

First, no, it's not at all clear that Jon defines claws solely as offensive weapons. The default assumption is that he defines claws the same as we do, in which case Westerosi wolves have claws just like RW wolves do.

Second, what on earth do you think your quote and link proves...that wolves don't have 5 claws? The fact that he claims the fifth (and only useless) claw on the hind leg is usually absent because it doesn't reach the ground certainly doesn't mean he thinks wolves don't have claws. Honestly the fact that he speaks of wolves having claws should be a little bit of a hint for you that wolves have claws. This isn't an error by GRRM, it's just another case of reader being misinformed. This equivalent to thinking whales are fish.

I only hope that later books will reveal the answers.

The constant, blatant, jaw-dropping racism demonstrated to the "frog-eaters" might be a reason. Would you want to put up with that your entire life?

As for the claw thing -- which quote are you guys talking about?

Guest Other-in-Law

it's the fact that Jon clearly thinks wolves attack with claws.

You haven't remotely established that as a fact. A quote where Jon thinks "wolves attack with their claws" would do the trick, but you're not going to find it.

You haven't remotely established that as a fact. A quote where Jon thinks "wolves attack with their claws" would do the trick, but you're not going to find it.

'tis implied with Jon saying wolves have claws like bears.

Guest Other-in-Law

'tis implied with Jon saying wolves have claws like bears.

Ooooh..so this "fact" is only implied? And he doesn't make any comparison to the respective function of wolf and bear claws, merely that they both exist:

"Does it have a name, my lord?"

"It did once. Longclaw, it was called."

"Claw," the raven said "Claw."

"Longclaw is an apt name." Jon tried a practice cut. He was clumsy and uncomfortable with his left hand, yet even so, the steel seemed to flow through the air as if it had a will of it's own. "Wolves have claws as much as bears."

Now if you think that his simple observation that wolves do indeed have claws combined with a sword being named after a claw somehow indicates that he thinks wolf claws are weapons, then presumably the sword names Red Rain, Dawn, Brightroar, and Lady Forlorn must indicate precipitation, sunrise, leonine voices, and sad noblewomen are offensive weapons, too.

Guest Other-in-Law

as much = numbers = bears have 5 on each paw, while wolves got 4. Jon is wrong. /case

Oh for fucks sake. As much=also have them. I've never seen so much goalpost shifting in such a short time before. Jon wasn't presenting his Phd thesis on Caniform morphology, he was making an offhand remark during an awkward moment.

As a general rule of thumb, if you have to narrowly redefine what someone said in order to prove them wrong, you've already failed.

Archived