What are you reading? *February Edition*

nobodymN

I'm currently halfway through Fool's Fate by Robin Hobb and loving every page. When I finish, I think I'll probably reread Stehpan Zielinski's Bad Magic. I also plan to finally read Knife of Dreams. Not because I particularly like Jordan or anything, just out of shear pigheadedness. I've come this far, I might as well finish.

On a non fantasy note, I am also slowly but surely working my way through Collapse by Jared Diamond. It's very interesting, but a difficult read. I just finished Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen which I enjoyed immensely, even if it was a school book, and hopefully Baille's Plays on the Passions will be equally delightful.

Just started the Readers Companion to Lord of the Rings by Wayne Hammond and Christina Scull. It is a sort of way of reading the original book again, but with someone annotating the text. There are a few nuggets of information that Hammond and Scull have got from previously unreleased papers that add a few more bits of background to the book.

Aratan

I am reading Windhaven. It has been sitting on my bookshelf for a while now, but I am glad to have started it. I don't like having unread books. The story is good, although it lacks some of the power, or charged emotion of Martin's other works. I notice some aspects that are more prevalent in Martin's other books; the influence of singers, random acts of violence, wideranged consequences of actions... On a side note, I love it when the fantasy world is island based, instead of the more common super-continent. Earthsea comes to mind.

Still waiting for a couple of releases here. :mad:

In the meantime I've changed tack a bit and I'm having a go at a serial killer mystery writer called Tami Hoag. Its interesting so far.

Mary Gentle's 1610: A Sundial in a Grave has been sitting on our bookshelf for quite some time, but I finally picked it up a few days ago.

Given its intimidating size, I was expecting it to be as difficult to read both physically (I need bigger hands to read books like that without hurting the spine or my hands ;P) and mentally as Ash. ;) It is not, however, anywhere near Ash as far as the page-count goes, and the plot is much, much less convoluted. As a result of this, I finished it all today, having only read about two chapters prior to that. I guess the start was a little slow, but once the main characters had been introduced I sure couldn't put it down for very long.

Like Ash, magic and science, as well as a time, place a big part in the plot, though compared to Ash it is still pretty down to earth. It just has a few astrologers who are able to predict the future with frightening accuracy. It also has a pair of duellist with a very interesting relationship to say the least, and a ship-wrecked samurai with a duty to carry out.

I'm reading "Along the Road" by Aldous Huxley. It's a collection of his travel writings first published in the 1920's. It's really amazing in terms of travel both how much and how little has changed since then.

Hm, finished Coetzee's Disgrace yesterday. Whilst it might not be the kind of a novel that I'd read outside my English class, it was a fairly interesting read.

So, tell me what Cotezee is like - setting, themes, writing, etc. I have seen a couple of his books in the library and I'd like to know if I should try them.

Just started the Readers Companion to Lord of the Rings by Wayne Hammond and Christina Scull. It is a sort of way of reading the original book again, but with someone annotating the text. There are a few nuggets of information that Hammond and Scull have got from previously unreleased papers that add a few more bits of background to the book.

Aratan

I would be interested to hear what you think of it Aratan.

Does it add much to the experience of rereading LOTR?

Could be. In my head I pronounced it "Eewl", but by pronouncing it "Awl" you'd get Chuckle.

I read it as rhyming with Fuck All, maybe I am wrong and smutty.

Stop looking at me like that.

Also, I am half way through Gardens of the Moon but am too scared to go on any of the threads for fear of spoilers. I am enjoying the whole set up and story but I actually think it is not very well written. This could be affected by my loathing of the use of 'like some' or 'as if some'. Stop using some to justify your desriptions :mad: Will post more when finished.

Got any theories about that?

Well, no, I'm ashamed to say. I'm not Christian, and where I live there are only a few Christians, and there are no books about that faith either. Even this book is not allowed here because of it's association with the Christian faith (I bought it from Dubai during a recent trip).

Anyway, I liked solving the riddles, and I loved all the little bits of information that I never knew before. I wish I knew more about this religion so that I could understand and argue with the theories in this book more.

Knife of Dreams by you-know-who. I'm reading it 'cause I don't have to pay for it and since the book I waited for for years was something of a disappointment, I decided to read something I have no high expectations for.

While I think AFfC's Cersei chapters were better written (and I still think they were tedious) than those scenes involving all those Aes Sedai that sound the same, I find it somewhat more entertaining this time around. But then the last WoT book I red was The Dragon Reborn, so I wasn't subjected to as much sniffing and braid-tugging as others here.

*sigh* I can't really say anything about Jordan that hasn't been said before (and will be said again).

Well, no, I'm ashamed to say. I'm not Christian, and where I live there are only a few Christians, and there are no books about that faith either. Even this book is not allowed here because of it's association with the Christian faith (I bought it from Dubai during a recent trip).

Just out of curiosity, where do you live?

I finished His Dark Materials. Excellent series, with a surprising level of violence for a "young adult" fantasy. Also, the harsh treatment of religion gives it points in my book.

I'm going to get started soon on The Rising Sun, John Toland's history of the Japanese in World War II.

Just finished Anne Bishop's Black Jewel Trilogy. I enjoyed it, but it wasn't great. Not sure if I think they were even good but I couldn't stop reading them, not entirely sure why. Hm.. Anyway, I liked the first book the best.

Strong points in my estimation: characterization of the good guys, their relationships, exploration of the repercussions of emotional trauma. An Erikison-ish feel in scope and power. I usually find it fun and satisfying when really powerful characters go hardcore. ;) Pace was good IMO, and she certainly didn't shy from perversity or suffering, which I read as part of the various themes; it didn't become gratuitous, although it came close a couple times.

Criticisms: Her villians were flat and totally forgettable. However, the books don't hinge on them. Thankfully. She also spelled out just about all of the intrigue so there was no mystery to it: cut to bad guys so we can witness them hatching another evil scheme, in detail. Also, after the first book, I lost much of my sense of suspense. Lastly... well, the romance aspect didn't work for me in the last book. Felt off; just cheesy at times, which might have been all right if the story and characters had been more modest in range and background. And perhaps just too ... coerced. *shrugs*

I certainly wouldn't give it a blanket recommendation to any fantasy reader, but no doubt it suits some well or well enough (like me) for entertainment purposes. It's whether or not you enjoy the ride, rather than being on pins and needles for the end.

I've moved on to Bernard Cornwell's "The Winter King." Enjoying his take on Arthur and the Camelot gang but his writing style doesn't overly appeal to me, being a dialogue fangirl. The problem is easily with a bit of skimming here and there tho. :P

Archived