Hugo 2010 Results

Peadar

Moon was good but flawed. I prefer it winning to many of the other candidates, although Up was excellent (all of it, not just the first bit; the opening is revisited several times later in the film which keeps that whole element alive, plus I liked the dogs). Maybe District 9 would have been the better all-round SF choice, but the important, vital thing is that the exceptionally weak Star Trek didn't win.

Help me out please, somebody ...

Palimpsest by Charles Stross????????

Palimpsest was written by Catherynne M. Valente and she didn't win anything, she said so on her blog http://blog.catherynnemvalente.com/ (today) and I couldn't find a this special title by this special author Charles Stross.

What am I missing?

It's a novella which happened to have the same title of Valente's novel. You can find it on the author website: http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/fiction/hugo-noms/Palimpsest-published-for-hugos.html. IIRC it should've been un-published after the end of the voting (and I'm sending an email to the webmaster about this) so read it now if you're interested.

I watched Up when it came out on blu ray, and the first third was pretty good, but the rest was utter shit.

I'm glad Moon won.

I wish I could find a way to highlight your name so I know never to consider your opinions ever again.

Watched Moon last night.

Fucking garbage. So disappointing.

You are completely wrong. And not only was it a great movie, it was also some of the best hard SF cinema of recent years.

UP is the best animated film ever made. It should have won... everything.

That's only because you rate movies by how hard they make you cry like a little girl.

I wish I could find a way to highlight your name so I know never to consider your opinions ever again.

:D

If you think Moon is "fucking garbage" your opinion in movies is worthless to me. Keep on enjoying your snooze-fest cartoons :thumbsup:

Bear in mind that the award is focused on the screenplay rather than the film proper. Avatar's technical and directorial achievements cannot be minimized, but the script was for the most part reasonably generic and by-the-numbers.

Bear in mind that the award is focused on the screenplay rather than the film proper. Avatar's technical and directorial achievements cannot be minimized, but the script was for the most part reasonably generic and by-the-numbers.

Are you sure about that? I was wondering about it lately, checked the official description of the category, and it seems to me it's for the movie as a whole, not focused on the screenplay.

Best Dramatic Presentation (Long Form): This Award can be given a dramatized production in any medium, including film, television, radio, live theater, computer games or music. The work must last 90 minutes or longer (excluding commercials).

Maybe it's an unofficial tradition to focus on the screenplay...

That's not what people vote on, Ran.

I'm going off the fact that the very first thing you see for the nominees is who wrote it. Always seemed a bit of a nod to the fact that these are primarily a set of literary awards. Not as explicit as the Nebula Award for Best Script, but still.

That Avatar was last certainly seems to be about the writing being pretty unexceptional.

It was also perfectly executed.

A perfectly executed dump still results in just a piece of shit floating in your toilet bowl.

Which is a pretty apt description for Ferngully 2: The Revenge!Avatar.

It's a novella which happened to have the same title of Valente's novel. You can find it on the author website: http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/fiction/hugo-noms/Palimpsest-published-for-hugos.html. IIRC it should've been un-published after the end of the voting (and I'm sending an email to the webmaster about this) so read it now if you're interested.

Thank you for the clarification, Willie. I have been to the link you have provided ... I am really underwhelmed, but that surely is only me.

Archived