"I don't carry cash"

ztemhead

What about holographically projected money from biochips implanted in our fingertips.

Think how many beautiful options THAT would open up!

Sounds very Mark of the Beast-ish. ;)

Saying "I want to bite you" is an excellent way to convey your good taste and love of beauty.

I know, right?

Actually, it sounds rather vampyric of course. Which certainly does indicate good taste. No pun intended. Your neck is such a work of art...,

G'day ztem, I have a suggestion for you. Start carrying a sharpie around with you and write the amount owed on the no cashmoney offender. Training people can be fun and easy.

I carry cash. Maybe some Canadians live in cashless cities, but not all of us are city folk.

I've been out of Ottawa for about nine years, but given it's proximity I would expect the 'prior to be mostly Interac for stores, restaurants, gas stations etc. I'd be surprised if that wasn't the case up the the 'frew and possibly as far as Pembroke. Canada, or Ontario at least as that's where I lived and traveled, was way ahead of the US and debit card transactions. And I'd find it odd that it hasn't made it's way in to outskirts of big cities. I wouldn't expect it in say, Mattawa or Deep River but still. Ah well.

What?

It's an anecdote from my job. The potential client tried to get me to accept credit, but (in so many words or less) I told them to fuck off, and feel pretty good about it.

Dear God, how wasted and douchey are you to insist on cabbing it four blocks? Fucking Lodo hipsters, man.

Somewhat wasted and extraordinarily douchey. I have a love/hate relationship with LoDo.

I always carry some cash around. Generally, I prefer to make all mundane purchases of less than $40 with cash because I've heard several stories of people who'd had trouble with their credit cards due to skimming.

Yeah, that too. In addition to the fact that our transmissions from the cab are about as unsecure as it gets, more often than not you are giving your card number directly to a complete sketchball. The guy who trained me on my first day did two years for stabbing some guy, and the company is perfectly cool with that. Just go to the fucking ATM.

I always carry some cash around. Generally, I prefer to make all mundane purchases of less than $40 with cash because I've heard several stories of people who'd had trouble with their credit cards due to skimming.

Why do you care about skimming?

You call the credit card company, they send you a new card...

if you're really unlucky, you have to send them a letter.

having your credit card number stolen is no big deal.

Debit card, sure, that's a slightly bigger deal, but credit cards? Not even really an issue.

It's an anecdote from my job. The potential client tried to get me to accept credit, but (in so many words or less) I told them to fuck off, and feel pretty good about it.

Somewhat wasted and extraordinarily douchey. I have a love/hate relationship with LoDo.

Do we need to get peterbound in here to kick some hipster ass?

A cab is one thing I always, always have cash for.

Do we need to get peterbound in here to kick some hipster ass?

I wouldn't say need, but I'd certainly find it amusing... I forget what I said to him about paying cab drivers with credit, but it seems to have affected him strongly...

A cab is one thing I always, always have cash for.

And that is just one reason why you possess more than the average amount of awesome.

I wouldn't say need, but I'd certainly find it amusing... I forget what I said to him about paying cab drivers with credit, but it seems to have affected him strongly...

And that is just one reason why you possess more than the average amount of awesome.

:blushing:

I also overtip.

Switzerland. Land of anonymous bank accounts and large-scale tax evasion. Of course I carry cash. Both banknotes and coins in my manly man-purse (don't like loose change in my pockets. They tend to have holes, plus we have some awkwardly big coins with a value of ~5$ and a diameter of 31.45mm (~ 1¼")). To me it would feel very awkward to use a card (debit, I don't own a credit card) to pay for anything below CHF 20.- (~20$). Plus, you can feel just smug using the time you're standing in line to calculate the total of your groceries, rummage for the exact amount in your purse and paying in an instant instead of going through some lengthy card procedure. Even getting change is usually faster than paying by card.

Fortunately, as we're still a cash-oriented society, you can do things here that would probably result in being thrown out of the store or even having the police called in other countries. Like paying a 1000$ laptop computer with cash. Or buying a 1.50 bottle of coke with a 100. Though the last one did get me a very annoyed look from the cashier, but so would have paying said amount by card. Not carrying a reasonable amount of change is a definite no-go here.

However, there is movement towards cashlessness even here. For some years, before they were rendered useless by the ubiquity of mobile phones, phone booths required cards, as they were being cracked and robbed for their cash. Vending machines that sell cigarettes are even forbidden to accept cash nowadays as they're required to do an age check.

I've been out of Ottawa for about nine years, but given it's proximity I would expect the 'prior to be mostly Interac for stores, restaurants, gas stations etc. I'd be surprised if that wasn't the case up the the 'frew and possibly as far as Pembroke. Canada, or Ontario at least as that's where I lived and traveled, was way ahead of the US and debit card transactions. And I'd find it odd that it hasn't made it's way in to outskirts of big cities. I wouldn't expect it in say, Mattawa or Deep River but still. Ah well.

G'day kairparavel. Your local knowledge of the valley is spot on, despite your absence and relocation. Going with what ztem stated about his own city, Arnprior is probably about 90% accessible for non-cash carriers. But there will still be occasions where carrying cash is a boon. Paying in cash at pawn shop will often lead to the skipping of taxes. Even in Ottawa there are occasions when carrying cash is the smart thing to do. Go to a Sens game and try to pay for parking with a card. Every car behind you will start screaming "What is the delay all aboot?!?" ;) Edit: <-- That is not a winking emote. That is a just got hit by a right hook emote.

It seems the choice to carry cash or not is more about personal choice than anything. For now I'll just keep carrying around cashmoney and a sharpie.

G'day kairparavel. Your local knowledge of the valley is spot on, despite your absence and relocation. Going with what ztem stated about his own city, Arnprior is probably about 90% accessible for non-cash carriers. But there will still be occasions where carrying cash is a boon. Paying in cash at pawn shop will often lead to the skipping of taxes. Even in Ottawa there are occasions when carrying cash is the smart thing to do. Go to a Sens game and try to pay for parking with a card. Every car behind you will start screaming "What is the delay all aboot?!?" ;) Edit: <-- That is not a winking emote. That is a just got hit by a right hook emote.

It seems the choice to carry cash or not is more about personal choice than anything. For now I'll just keep carrying around cashmoney and a sharpie.

Holy shit - it is Kelso! Back from the dead - how you been? :thumbsup:

Ah there's a friendly Z, you always were one of my favorites. No complaints on my end here. I heard the good news and decided it was time to head back to the beloved board for some abuse from the internet. It's nice to get some internet love though. I'm glad that there are still tons of names that I recognize from when I was here last, including yourself. Didn't have internet connection for awhile, but I'm not about to start making excuses for my absence. Back from the dead works well enough.

I hope life has been kind to you these last years as well. Send me a note if you want to brag about how fucking awesome you are now.

I think i use cash for about 90% of my purchases. Only exceptions are if theres a lot of money involved or buying over the internet, or if iv'e run out. Hate the idea of someone at the bank being able to track the places i make my purchases, irrational i know. Also i love coins ;)

I always keep about $100 in cash on me at all times. I feel like an ass using plastic for anything under $20 and i'm paranoid about one of my credit cards being rejected out of disuse. The latter actually happened once when I didn't have any cash and my debit card was damaged. Hadn't used any of my credit cards for about 2 years and the one I tried to use had expired.

Cash is useful for creating a bit of self discipline, as long as you take out your "allowance" at the beginning og the week and once it's gone you don't head to the nearest ATM.

But generally I am cashless. Most of the time I only get out cash when I know the place I'm going doesn't take cash, like a farmer's market (even some of the stall holders have mobile debit card facilities) or my barber.

What's funny between me and the missus is that because some of the work she does she gets paid in cash she normally has a bit o' coin on her. But it's always her asking me whether I have any cash. She knows the answer is almost invariably no, but she still bitches about me not having any cash every time I answer with the predictable answer.

One place I struck a bit of an unexpected snag was on a work trip in The Netherlands. My colleague and I picked the one restaurent in The Hague that didn't accept Visa or Mastercard, the only card it accepted was AMEX. Our agreement was that I would pay for meals on my Visa from the cash advance I got before the trip, and my colleague would pay the hotel bils and other expenses on her work issue Mastercard. Trying my debit card was no good either. As it was our last night in Europe before flying back to New Zealand we'd also run down our cash supply to the barest minimum, so even thoguh we had some cash it wasn't enough to cover the dinner bill. The staff at the restaurent also didin't know where the nearest ATM was; most unhelpful. Fortunately my colleague had her own personal AMEX card, but because she has a work issue Mastercard she didn't get a cash advance, so she really shouldn't have been called on to use that card. Not wanting to spend our final night in Europe washing dishes she paid on her AMEX card and I gave her some cash once we got back to NZ.

I hear some places in Aussie won't let you use electronic transactions for amounts under $10. So carrying cash in Aussie for small purchases seems to be almost essential.

I rarely carry any cash for three reasons:

* Rarely go anywhere that requires cash so no point lugging around loads of money that can be lost

* No really close ATM machine, apart from the one at Tesco's express which is perma camped by chavs and looks like it could transmit any number of infections

* I keep better track of outgoings when I pay by card. I make fewer smaller purchases since I have to actually pay by card and it feels wrong to do so, which means I'll abstain from buying anything.

I guess I also feel that once you've removed your money from your account (taken them out of the bank) the money is "gone", which makes me feel poorer. Cash is just never included in my budgets at all, only virtual money.

G'day ztem, I have a suggestion for you. Start carrying a sharpie around with you and write the amount owed on the no cashmoney offender. Training people can be fun and easy.
I really like this idea. Of course some people get all pissed off if you write on them - which will make this exercise EVEN MORE enjoyable.

Nice to see you back btw

Wow, lots of Valley folk in this thread who would have known? 20 years in the 'prior personally.

I'm a mostly pay with debit as I find it easier in most cases, with Tim Horton's finally accepting debit it is even better now. I might carry at most $40-60 on me at a time and that is usually for food or gas, a bit easier to keep track with that, on a super tight budget at the moment. I never go out to cash-only places such as bars so the requirement for carrying a ton of cash is not there.

Archived