Boardwalk Empire

Anya, Vengeance Demon

Don't really see why Jimmy ought to shoot the photographer. It seems clear he hasn't had carnal knowledge of Angela, so to speak, although not for a lack of trying... Why not suggest Jimmy shoot Mary instead, at least she's actually done something with his girlfriend? Although really, given that Jimmy is basically an asshole towards her (even if often an inadvertent one) much of the time, I'm not sure anyone should get shot at all...

Great episode. I was certainly surprised by Kessler there at the attempted hit, what with his packing a pistol. Didn't seem the type. Things do seem to be starting to pick up steam. Where's the situation with Eli going to go, though, given that the Commodore said he had to be replaced? You've got Halloran or whatever his name is making a play for sheriff, but he's such a doofus that I'm not sure Nucky will back him. Hmm...

It seemed pretty evident to me that Sebso was paid off by Nucky, ergo Nucky's comment to Jimmy about how his salvation lay outside of the legal system. It seemed pretty clear that he had the wheels set in motion by that point.

I don't know. I can't see anybody walking up to a federal agent, no matter what the size of their bankroll, and arranging a hit without some kind of prior relationship. And if Sebso's been working for anybody throughout the course of the season, it makes more sense for it to be Rothstein rather than Nucky.

So predictions wise i'm 3/4. All that's left is for Lucky to even up with Gretchen Moi :cry and i'm the greatest genius in the history of the world. If i do say so myself.

Seb is interesting. He was obviously working for Nucky in this episode, but he is a federal agent, isn't he meant to travel all over the country ? Why on earth would Nucky have him on his payroll if he couldn't guarantee that he'd put in work. I think its more likely that Seb is a private contractor (and Van Holden's boss is the mastermind) who sometimes sells info to Rothstein. So far I get the impression that Nucky isn't quite cold enough to sell Jimmy out to Rothstein so it had to be Seb. And Rothstein no doubt pays better.

And i'm surprised to see that Angela genuinely seems to have something for Jimmy. After we found out she was a les i thought she was play acting the whole time.

And what does a commodore do ? I always assumed he was the equivalent of the mayor because he always sits at the head of table when ever there is an important function. I googled but all i could find was the naval rank.

Great episode. I was certainly surprised by Kessler there at the attempted hit, what with his packing a pistol. Didn't seem the type. Things do seem to be starting to pick up steam. Where's the situation with Eli going to go, though, given that the Commodore said he had to be replaced? You've got Halloran or whatever his name is making a play for sheriff, but he's such a doofus that I'm not sure Nucky will back him. Hmm...

Some actual history on Eli I'll put it in spoilers in case anyone doesn't want to know for the sake of the show's plot.

I believe I recall on a documentary for Boardwalk Empire that Eli stayed sheriff for most of the period Nucky was Treasurer and that was into the early 1930's.

I love this show so much but I've never had so much difficulty keeping all the characters straight. The main characters I've got but with many of the minor ones I forget that I saw them in previous episodes, heck I didn't even reconize Dabney Coleman until 4 or 5 episodes ago and I'm still not sure what his character of the Commodore actually does, so a lot of times when a minor character does something I'm lost as to who they could be working for or what their motivation could be.

Thank goodness for this thread though! It's helping me keep things a bit more straight and adding to my enjoyment of the series. Also this will probably make for more fun during the rewatch!

It doesn't really seem likely, on account of he's so goddamn old, but I almost got the feeling that the Commodore might be Jimmy's father. Jimmy obviously thinks his father has some influence, and it seems like the Commodore, in the two times I can think of him coming up, has a closer relationship with Jimmy than you would think for someone who's essentially Nucky's muscle. Unlikely I know, it just struck me as odd.

I'm actually thinking the same thing, it would make sense that Nucky would keep an eye on and look out for his boss' bastard kid. Someone was paying for Princeton before Jimmy went to war, not sure how big a thing scholarships were in the early 1900's.

And what does a commodore do ? I always assumed he was the equivalent of the mayor because he always sits at the head of table when ever there is an important function. I googled but all i could find was the naval rank.

To my knowledge, there is no political office called "commodore". The only exception I know is in yacht clubs, the elected administrative officer is often referred to by that moniker. In the context of Boardwalk Empire, I believe The Commodore is a man of influence, referred to by that name for some as yet unexplained nautical history. I do not believe that we are supposed to yet know of any office he might have held.

@Jacen - That is one of the reasons Nucky has concubines and not wives at this stage of his life.

Oh, I love the suggestion that the Commodore is Jimmy's father. Yeah, that could work.

I think the Commodore was the head of the AC political machine, groomed Nucky as his successor, and when the law caught up with them, the Commodore did the time for whatever reason -- presumably because Nucky was younger and had a more spotless record, so it'd be better for their machine.

I'd expect the Commodore moniker comes from a rank he held in the navy. He retired. Calling him Commodore now is merely ceremonial/deferential.

And if there is any question about his role with Nucky, the HBO website says he previously controlled Atlantic City, than handed it over to Nucky when he "retired."

Once Jimmy mentioned going to his pops for help, I kind of assumed it was the Commodore. He seems the most powerful man in Nucky's camp, best one to turn to in desperate times. Nucky is opposed to this because 1) he can easily do it himself, since it seems that fed was in his payroll, and 2) it means one more thing Jimmy owes Nucky, something to hold over his head.

Was that Harding's girl who got shot? Could mean bad news for Nucky's aspirations, especially if the girl was right when she said Harding still loved her.

Great episode. I was certainly surprised by Kessler there at the attempted hit, what with his packing a pistol. Didn't seem the type.

That part was really well-written, IMO. They're driving, Kessler's talking about wanting a nice house on the ocean, and so thereby explaining his motivation for doing what he's about to do next. He definitely wanted the payoff.

At least, that's how I understood it. I'm surprised to see here that people think it's not at all related to Nucky. The guy that, you know, the Republican candidate for President owes a big favor to. He's not small-time.

At least, that's how I understood it. I'm surprised to see here that people think it's not at all related to Nucky. The guy that, you know, the Republican candidate for President owes a big favor to. He's not small-time.

No, he's not small-time. But it's not like he can use his leverage with Harry Dougherty for this; and I hardly think that Nucky just walked up to a federal agent with a sack full of money to arrange a murder with no pre-existing relationship, when misreading his mark would mean a hefty sentence. Taking the season as a whole, it makes much more sense to think that Rothstein is Sebso's patron rather than Nucky.

Archived