1st HBO Preview, 12 Sept 2010

Angel

I do not get some of the criticism regarding the casting and character appearance. George R.R. Martin himself has praised both of these aspects. Somehow I get the feeling that he would have a better idea as to how the characters look than anyone else.

You have to remember that there are some pre-teens on the board. ;)

Doesn't mean everyone else thinks of him the way he thinks of them. Inevitable some people will be disappointed, even if Martin pronounces himself pleased. (And honestly, like he's going to go on the record criticizing anything when he's working closely with the production....)

Doesn't mean everyone else thinks of him the way he thinks of them. Inevitable some people will be disappointed, even if Martin pronounces himself pleased. (And honestly, like he's going to go on the record criticizing anything when he's working closely with the production....)

True, but I would rather that an adaptation be closer to the author's vision than to my own.

I do not get some of the criticism regarding the casting and character appearance. George R.R. Martin himself has praised both of these aspects. Somehow I get the feeling that he would have a better idea as to how the characters look than anyone else.

My only quibble was Tyrion, I thought everyone else looked fine. And, at any rate, I think Martin himself makes it clear in the books that Tyrion's face is grotesque -- even before his nose is cut off, something that clearly does not come through in Peter Dinklage's appearance.

You have to remember that there are some pre-teens on the board. ;)

If someone disagreeing with you about the way they perceive characters' looks makes them a pre-teen so be it. Although, I would imagine that pre-teens would be pushing for prettier characters a la Edward Cullen (and not ugly, deformed dwarfs ;)). But god forbid we critique anything. -_-

My only quibble was Tyrion, I thought everyone else looked fine. And, at any rate, I think Martin himself makes it clear in the books that Tyrion's face is grotesque -- even before his nose is cut off, something that clearly does not come through in Peter Dinklage's appearance.

Tyrion wasn't grotesque because of his looks, he was considered horrible because of being a dwarf. Remember, he was loved once (what was her name? Tysha?), she found him handsome... In the society he lives in, he can be a cute dwarf and still considered grotesque to everyone.

After the accident, then he becomes visibly a monster.

Anyway; I saw Ravens, and Direwolves, and Dany!!! Oh, my!

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the artist Amoka have his character art personally reviewed by GRRM?

It's not like Dinklage is strikingly handsome or anything; I'd think Sean Bean is more in the 'too good-looking' category than Dinklage. I'm pleased, because his acting ability wouldn't come through as much with prosthetics and make-up covering his face. Don't want Tyrion to become Gimli.

Curious that they've done nothing with Daenerys or Tyrion's eyes. It'll be interesting to see if they add some cool colour in the editing room.

And whether they'll change the dogs in some way to make them seem more Direwolf-esque.

From the first Jon chapter in AGOT, at the feast:

Tyrion Lannister, the youngest of Lord Tywin's brood and by far the ugliest.... He was a dwarf, half his brother's height, struggling to keep pace on stunted legs. His head was too large for his body, with a brute's squashed in face beneath a swollen shelf of brow. One green eye and one black one peered out from a lank fall of hair so blond it seemed white.

Doesn't quite describe Peter Dinklage.

I seem to recall an ugly beard too, mentioned later.

Me: Look babe, that's Ned and that's Tyrion... holy shit does that dude playing Gregor look massive!!!

GF: You do know the Cowboys are playing.

Me: The. Cowboys. Are. Dumb. Besides, I've been waiting for this show for like 3 years now.

GF: The Nerd Club Show?!? (silence) I'm going to watch the fucking game in the bedroom before I stab you with a sword.

Me: Great! I'll get on the computer and talk with my 'Nerd Club' about books and science and fucking TV shows...

GF: Fuck you! Find the square root of sleeping on the couch tonight, punk ass!!!

(10 or so more minutes of yelling and cussing about football, GOT, and shit she brought up from 2 years ago)

So... GOT, football, and the "Nerd Club" are ruining my love life. Meh.

Dump that ho

Dany does look pretty strange, but she came across pretty strange reading the book too.

I can only imagine how the baby dragon scene is gonna turn out.

From the first Jon chapter in AGOT, at the feast:

Doesn't quite describe Peter Dinklage.

I seem to recall an ugly beard too, mentioned later.

Yes, this is from John's POV. People see him as grotesque, but description doesn't mean the truth. I can describe Angelina Jolie and it may come across like she's an ugly freak! He's against society norm, a squat, "deformed" dwarf... He's different... So what that he has two different colored eyes (so does Jane Seymour), a scraggly beard ( :rolleyes:), or a large forehead ( George Clooney, Matt Damon anyone?) . This world (like ours for the most part), doesn't like different. I never read into the novels that he was ugly, until the accident.

It's like Lord Varys being hated because he was castrated (not a man or a woman) and a foreigner, thus untrustworthy in the world he lived in.

Yes, this is from John's POV. People see him as grotesque, but description doesn't mean the truth. I can describe Angelina Jolie and it may come across like she's an ugly freak! He's against society norm, a squat, "deformed" dwarf... He's different... This world (like ours for the most part), doesn't like different. I never read into the novels that he was ugly, until the accident.

It's like Lord Varys being hated because he was castrated (not a man or a woman) and a foreigner, thus untrustworthy in the world he lived in.

This is a good point, in that chapter Jon basically judges everyone as they're walking in. King, too fat, queen, pretty bangin, queen's brother, not bad, dwarf? F that.

Although at the same time I agree his looks are a bit 'upped' perhaps just for the standard of tv/film but it doesn't bother me in the slightest. So long as they can act, they'll bring more power to the character than with their appearances.

My impression was definitely that he's meant to be grotesque. Jon gives sufficient detail (it's not just "he's ugly") and what's more, all the other characters concur, including Tyrion himself. Jon may be quick to judge based on appearance, but we don't have any evidence that he's wrong. Robert is fat, and Cersei and Jaime are attractive. No one disputes any of that.

But okay, it's not like I really expected one of the leads to be grotesque on TV.

Oh yeah, I'll grant you that he's not supposed to be fantastic looking. But I always got the impression that Tyrion puts himself down more than he should, especially regarding his appearance. Of course maybe he just earned my sympathy quickly.

Was the gorgeous lil platinum blonde girl Sansa ? If so, they got her right.

There's a brief shot of Sansa sitting at the Tourney, with Littlefinger whispering in her ear (you can also see Arya in the shot sitting behind a post. The actress playing Sansa looks very different in that shot than in all the other photos I've seen of her online - more plain, actually.

This is Dany.

The Sansa and Littlefinger sitting at the tourney - why are they sitting something that looks so ghetto? Does Westeros not have carpenters now?

And Ser Loras' vine-helm is probably the silliest (in a bad way) thing I've ever seen.

Also, shouldn't Robert's hair be coal black?

No problem at all with Tyrion, for me. No, not exactly as described, but it's fine.

That really quick glimpse of Littlefinger looks off to me...but it was a quick glimpse with his head turned. And anyway I'm not too hung up on the appearances. As long as they're at least somewhat close, I'm much more concerned with the acting/story/etc.

Archived