1st HBO Preview, 12 Sept 2010

Angel

Well, personally when I say desaturated I mean this Ser Hugh compared to this one, that sort of thing.

The rest, yeah, welcome to the North. (And the Republic, as you add. :P) I do still think they'll change stuff in post-processing, too, but the trailers have just been so "blah" compared to even the "natural light", behind-the-scenes shots.

Also, whoever mentioned 300 should feel guilty for the rest of the day. :)

You people sure know how to grasp onto one sentence and suck the life out of it, and take it out of context and go off on a completely different tangent based on your assumption of why it was added in. How many times have I told people to read the entire post twice if you can't understand the context of why what is being said with something is being said.

I refered to 300 as an EXAMPLE of how IF GOT was done in almost entirely CG how it could be DONE. Lots of Green screens with dressed actors. Or even actors in green suits around green screens like Beowulf. The tone and filming style of 300 was so influenced by the actual graphic novel and by Frank Miller and the directors style. Am I saying hire the same staff, same artists, same director...NO. I meant how it was made with the green screens.

Spartacus uses greenscreens almost to that degree. It looks stylized and stagey rather than real and open. You lose the epic grandeur of it all unless you have way more money to throw at it than a TV show (even a high-end HBO drama) can.

And as others pointed out, the cost of Beowulf or Avatar-like full CG with mocapped actors is just way, way beyond what can be done on a TV series budget. Maybe in 20-30 years.

Guys,

I'm still not so sure that THIS IS JOFFREY.

I wonder if anyone can confirm this is indeed him? I still think he looks nothing like the Gleeson I've seen in other videos.

He seems to be an extra hitting a post with a practice sword or something.

...ryan

I have a hard time believing it too. For one thing, his practice sword doesn't appear to have a crossguard, unlike those used by Bran and Tommen.

You people sure know how to grasp onto one sentence and suck the life out of it, and take it out of context and go off on a completely different tangent based on your assumption of why it was added in.

You need to relax, or at least stop being so defensive. That was clearly not meant to be serious. I thought it was obvious, but then I changed my mind and added that silly smilie in, even though I hate smilies, just in case someone missed the light tone of the recommendation. 

If in any case and by any means I have offended you, I apologize -- no joke this time. 

You need to relax, or at least stop being so defensive. That was clearly not meant to be serious. I thought it was obvious, but then I changed my mind and added that silly smilie in, even though I hate smilies, just in case someone missed the light tone of the recommendation. 

If in any case and by any means I have offended you, I apologize -- no joke this time. 

I just accept the fact that internet communication lacks one critical thing humans need in communication to determine emotion. The voice its a sad fact but I think all of our fan discussions, even with varying opinions would be much better if we were all in one room together. There would be a lot less mistakes or assumptions and the like.

Messages don't always come across the best in forum it seems.

I just accept the fact that internet communication lacks one critical thing humans need in communication to determine emotion. The voice its a sad fact but I think all of our fan discussions, even with varying opinions would be much better if we were all in one room together. There would be a lot less mistakes or assumptions and the like.

Don't tell this to writers, whose job it is to communicate emotion without an actual voice.

:)

...ryan

Yup, I know.  It happens sometimes. 

All right, getting back on-topic... it's possible that the boy is Gleeson. Maybe he doesn't look just like him in that picture, but he's fighting, and he's sweaty, and so on. It's hard to tell, for me at least.

But if he's not Joffrey, who could he be? If I remember correctly,  when Jon looked, there were only the Starks and the Lannisters fighting: Bran with Tommen, Robb with Joffrey. On the side there was the Hound and Theon. I don't think there was anyone else in the yard. (But it's possible that I'm forgetting someone.)  And the boy looks nothing like Tommen.  

Will be looking out after the confirmation.

Don't tell this to writers, whose job it is to communicate emotion without an actual voice.

:)

...ryan

Let me rephrase...communicating opinion, discussion etc without vocal. Does that work? Writing a story is different yes I agree.

Telling a writer "Sorry, I think you wrote your story and emotion into it wrong" will never translate well... :D

Hey look over there! the russian boards have had some interesting things to say about the house heraldry and have some of PS'ed for us:

http://7kingdoms.ru/2010/gerby-v-seriale/#more-7213

SOmeone made an intersting point that the stark sigil looks Scared. With the ears back and body posture and two others mention how the direwolf looks "scaley" like a dragon.

I'm still not so sure that THIS IS JOFFREY.

It looks like him to me...it's all in the chin. The guy's got the kind of face that I think changes a lot with different expressions. I've seen maybe a dozen shots of him, now, and none of them look like the same person.

Also, did anyone notice that the shot of Catelyn against the rocks, when Tyrion rushes into frame, was slated as Episode 105? I have to go back and check the hypothetical "scripting" fans have been doing to see if that scene from the Vale lines up.

I know the part where Catelyn captures Tyrion happens right around the mid-point of the book, so Episode 105 out of 110 sounds just about right to me.

Not really scaley. That's a very common way of depicting fur, I'm pretty sure.

Yeah, I've seen it many times before being done that way. It's a very old fashioned way of depicting fur, but it might make sense since its used that way cut into the stone bas relief in Winterfell, which presumably has been there a long, long time.

Archived