Westeros Blog: Game of Thrones Screencap Gallery

Westeros

We’ve collected screen captures from HBO’s latest video releases (missing just a couple of Ned shots from the 2010-2011 preview) and have posted them at our gallery. If you’ve seen our dissection of the videos, you’ll have seen all of these, but if you click through you’ll find that each image has additional commentary from us. Much of it pertains to comparisons to the novels, especially in regards to thematic details such as armor, clothing, and the like.

Please feel free to comment and share your thoughts on the images. We plan to add the original teaser screencaps to the gallery in time.

For those concerned about spoilers, there are none which are not already self-evident from the trailer and behind the scenes video.

Visit the Site!

Looks great!!! Gotta say, my only nitpick, and its pretty minor, is that I hope they at least give the Kingsguard white cloaks or capes.

I mean, that's the symbol of how they're identified in the books, whether or not someone is fit to wear the "white cloak." Right? Anyway, that seems like it'd be pretty easy to add.

Great job and a lot of work. I really enjoyed it!

Agreed! I just love this kind of nerdy analysis. Good stuff. I have to say I'm impressed with all the knowledge on display, so to speak.

And yes, the Kingsguard armor is a bit of a concern. The white colour is such an important aspect of the Kingsguard, how could they ignore it? But as you say, there might be white cloaks...but will it really match the armor? :P Oh well, on the more positive side of things I have to say I like the helmet and the idea of it being a nod to the Targaryen dynasty. Regarding design I don't mind a few more fantastical elements thrown into the mix, as long as they keep it on a reasonable level. Which kind of brings me to my only other complaint concerning all this new material. Well, I'm not really complaining but I guess you could say I'm intrigued by the armor worn by the Lannister guardsmen. When I first saw it I thought for sure they were Targaryen knights in some kind of flashback scene, but Lannisters? Huh. I didn't expect that kind of armor for any Westerosi knights, except maybe the Dornish. It will be fun to find out more about it, and to see more of it!

One thing that caught my attention was the jousting armor for the tourney... we've got some people in full plate jousting harnesses (like Ser Loras and The Knight Presumed To Be Ser Hugh), but we also have Ser Gregor in what looks like a coat of plates in his fight with Sandor. Unless things have been drastically rewritten, this fight takes place immediately after Gregor is unhorsed in the joust by Loras. Does this mean that Gregor was *jousting* in a coat of plates rather than actual jousting armor?!? Is this an oversight, or simply an indication of how badass Gregor really is? :stunned:

To be fair, in the early days of jousting, they just wear mail over gambesons... well, like Dunk. ;) But yeah, it seems to be the case. He does seem to have a rather massive gorget thing going on, with his upper chest protected by something that looks more solid.

his armor does look different but it's hard to tell given he has his back turned. hopefully in the coming weeks they'll release some images of him and we'll get a better idea of what he's going to look like. i was hoping he would have a garment over the chest of his armor with the 3 hounds of house clegane. also, who do you guys think of his helmet? i don't know how he can see very well out of it given the way the slits are spaced vertically. i pictured it to be one long horizontal opening but that's a minor complaint.

Archived