College Football Again

BLU-RAY

Got his hat on and we're watching the game now! Thanks for all the well wishes.

Ah hell... Who am I kidding??? He's sound asleep and I'm not far behind! :lol:

However, I would like to interrupt this Pac 10 discussion to comment that I never thought Auburn would fail to show up for their game with Clemson! Its really, really bad.

Georgia gave it their all just to come up a hair short against Arkansas. Mallett looked better today than I ever thought Matt Stafford looked.

I always felt like Stafford showed off the incredible throw fairly often, but failed to dominate games on a consistent basis. Time will tell how good of a pro he turns out to be which leads me too....

-Jake Locker. I was watching with some friends today, and before the game really got going we were like "How odd would it be if Locker were the #1 pick with how little he's ever done in college football." Now certainly one could argue that Washington isn't that talented, but I feel like Locker has been seriously overrated.

ETA: Rhom - I'm glad that Oregon State could give you a Louisville loss today of all days. :smoking:

I've always thought the same about Locker. All that talk about him first surfaced when he was the QB for a UW team that was the worst in college football. He's never won anything. He's pretty much the anti-Tebow: has all the skills, but isn't a winner.

A UofL loss is a welcome addition any day of the week. But I certainly appreciate the effort from your boys! :lol:

This Auburn game has surely turned around. I almost feel like Clemson is just getting tired and worn down and they don't have the depth to hang with Auburn down the stretch now. That field goal before the half was huge to keep Auburn feeling like they were in the game.

Got his hat on and we're watching the game now! Thanks for all the well wishes.

Congratulations!

What an ending to the Auburn game!

Which brings me to the MSU, ND game. It's really difficult for me to keep up with sports over there so I rarely post in these threads. But, I'm glad to see MSU having gone 3-0 so far. (I seriously doubt they'll keep it up.) The MSU kicker got his job three weeks ago and not wanting him to face the game tying 49 yd. field goal in OT, they called a trick play TD for the win. Go Green!

I watched the WVU game last night, went to bed at midnight, slept 8 hours, got up in time to catch the 4th quarter of Iowa @ Arizona. :lol:

I cannot believe Arizona got 4 sacks in a row. All the credit in the world to their D. But man, Stanzi just looked like a deer in headlights at the end there. Going to have to learn to get rid of the ball.

-Jake Locker. I was watching with some friends today, and before the game really got going we were like "How odd would it be if Locker were the #1 pick with how little he's ever done in college football." Now certainly one could argue that Washington isn't that talented, but I feel like Locker has been seriously overrated. Today is just one game, but wow, what a rough one. He hit one deep TD to a wide-open guy and pretty much looked terrible the rest of the game. I think he ended up 4-20.

Under Pelini the Nebraska defense has had a habit of making future NFL QB's look terrible. The offense's that give us problems are those that have a lot of talent spread around, like Texas Tech.

Congrats to Arizona.

Pretty fluky, bullshit game up until the end. I think at one point Arizona had 21 pts and something stupid like 50 yds of offense. But both their offense and defense earned the win at the end of the game. Arizona's offense had really only scored 6 pts all game and Iowa had just come back from 20 down to tie it, so things were looking pretty good to me... and then Arizona marches right down the field for the go-ahead TD, followed by their D sacking Stanzi four times in a row. No idea what KOK was thinking there, but whatever, Arizona earned it.

I just hope we didn't lose Hampton for another season. Looked like his knee might've gone again. Robinson came into the game as the clear #1 RB, but Hampton was at least getting something done last night while Robinson was not. With Wegher absent for personal reasons, the three-headed running attack we were expecting this year might be down to one.

Which brings me to the MSU, ND game. It's really difficult for me to keep up with sports over there so I rarely post in these threads. But, I'm glad to see MSU having gone 3-0 so far.

And they follow Michigan's example of beating ND and making it into the top 25 in the following poll.

Not sure how we dropped a spot in the AP after a 14 point win. That kinda sucks.

'Zona leapfrogged you (deservedly, I think) and nobody ahead of you fell below you (this is more debatable; is a 1-1 Miami really better than a 3-0 WVU? Prolly not. Ditto for 3-0 Michigan and maybe 2-1 Iowa).

The polls SHOULD move a LOT more than they do this time of year. All of those teams with 3-0 records are tied - previous polls are just tie-breakers and quality of opposition and quality of victory should matter a lot more than 'we didn't lose and were ranked xx last week'.

And they follow Michigan's example of beating ND and making it into the top 25 in the following poll.

...and following the game, lose their coach.

Michigan State coach Mark Dantonio suffered a heart attack shortly after the conclusion of the Spartans’ 34-31 overtime win against Notre Dame Saturday night.

Detroit Free Press

That sucks.

'Zona leapfrogged you (deservedly, I think) and nobody ahead of you fell below you (this is more debatable; is a 1-1 Miami really better than a 3-0 WVU? Prolly not. Ditto for 3-0 Michigan and maybe 2-1 Iowa).

Yea, I understand why it happened, I just wanted to bitch. In my honest opinion I think that we should probably be ranked right at 25 or so. Looked pretty good on Saturday, but we did come about as close as you can get to losing to Marshall. And it won't matter after next week. We'll either get thumped by LSU in Death Valley and drop out of the rankings, or we'll pull off an upset and jump a few spots. I really, really want to win that one. It would be huge for us, especially considering that the Big East has given us no help at all this year in terms of strength of schedule. WVU is the only ranked team in the conference right now.

...and following the game, lose their coach.

Detroit Free Press

That sucks.

Wow, that does suck. Sounds like he will be OK, at least.

I pretty much agree with Trisk this week on power rankings. I am really pissed at Washington though, I had hoped they would expose Nebraska as overrated. Now I think Nebraska will beat Texas and the final game versus Oklahoma for the B12 championship probably will be GoCIII On the other hand, Washington scored more on N than Arizona, but wow, career worst day for Locker, they'll have to win seven Pac10 games for him to recover a higher draft standard, and he probably will never recover the millions of dollars he lost saturday.

Andrew Luck, holy shit, 10TDs, 0 interceptions on the season. Nick Foles and Matt Barkley are terrific QBs but Luck makes them look sick. What was it Pete Carroll said about Luck last year? "he threw multiple perfect passes into double coverage and his receivers couldn't help but catch them, what can you do?"

Zona's defense this year is fucking awesome, four sacks in a row! wow, that was a fantastic way for the defense to end the game. Arizona Stanford and Arizona Oregon and Stanford Oregon are quickly becoming the top three games of the Conference.

Naturally the Oregon Stanford game in two weeks is at 11:15PM ET so gameday will ignore it and nobody from the East Coast press will watch it. If Stanford drops Oregon on the road, though, and undefeated Stanford and undefeated USC play Oct 9th at 8pm eastern that's a game that will get a huge amount of national attention. likewise for Oregon at Arizona the friday after thanksgiving, imagine if those two teams are undefeated at that point!

Arizona State played sloppier than USC, imo, obviously not in dumb penalties, but in failing to make crucial plays with mistakes. Of course they lost one TD because of bad TV coverage and a bad call by the official, but it seemed to me that Threet throws a hotter ball than the other top QBs in the conference and that makes him harder to catch and he tends to over throw TD passes, trying to rocket them into his recievers, probably because he's worried about interceptions.

USC improved on the penalties issue this week, they still play sloppy with penalties, but they're at least not yet bugging out and dropping the season, we've got a visit to Washington state coming up. I think they're improving with game experience and that a lot of the issues with the first two games have to do with the limited contact practices they've been forced to run.

Pac10 rankings:

1. Oregon (next three, at AzSt, v Stanford, at WaSt)

2. Stanford (next three, at ND, at Oregon, v USC)

3. Arizona (next three, v Cal, v OrSt, at WaSt)

0. USC (next three, at WaSt, v Wa, at Stanford

(JESUS CHRIST I feel sorry for Washington State's fans, their next three at home games are going to be brutal losses, and the only other two home games they have are Cal and Washington, ouch ouch ouch!)

4. Oregon State

5. Arizona State

6. Cal

7. UCLA

8. Washington

9. Washington State

Pac10 rankings:

1. Oregon

2. Stanford

3. Arizona

0. USC

4. Oregon State

5. Arizona State

6. Cal

7. UCLA

8. Washington

9. Washington State

I'd flip flop three pairs of teams. But otherwise pretty close.

Oregon, Arizona, Stanfurd, U$C, OSU, Cal, ASU, Washington, UCLA and WSU

I'm very, very impressed with Stanford. Luck being an accurate passer and being able to run the ball makes him into the player Locker was projected to be, and that line is still fierce. Their defense isn't as stout, but that offense...yikes. I think Oregon/Stanford is going to decide the division, and sadly I think it's going to go to Stanford; Darron Thomas just makes too many mistakes. Which is to be expected for a sophomore, but I think that's going to be the difference.

I don't think USC is good at all this year. I'd rank ASU above both USC and Cal given their play so far.

Archived