South

Texas

OK

TTech

T A&M

OK State

Second String players from anyone else in the South

Baylor

It's pretty clear who the top 2 of each division are, but the bottom 4 is much more up for grabs.

I don't think that's entirely true. Both divisions have three teams that appear to be head and shoulders above the rest (Oregon, Stanford, Arizona vs Nebraska, OK and Texas). Both have a couple teams that are probably somewhat competitive (ASU, OSU and Cal, Missouri and Tech and maybe OKST), and both have some pretty meh teams (WSU, Kansas, maybe Washington and Baylor).

Lockesnow:

North:

Nebraska

Missouri

KState

Colorado

Iowa State

Kansas

South:

Oklahoma

Texas

Tech

OkSt

A&M

Baylor

Overall

Nebraska

Oklahoma

Texas

Missouri

Tech

OkSt

A&M

Kansas State

Colorado

Baylor

Iowa State

Kansas

I think I agree with this more than with Ken Stone's assessment. I think Missouri will throttle K-State at home. After last weekend's win in the last minute against San Diego State, I don't know what to think...they looked terrible, especially Gabbert. If they don't get their shit together, Lincoln is going to be a nightmare trip for them. Speaking of which, Washington was terrible and Locker choked terribly. No discredit to Nebraska, their defense is making opposing teams look terrible. The San Diego State game reminded me of the Oklahoma State game 2 years ago, except this time they came out on top. Hopefully this is the wake-up call that will get their asses in gear.....or it's a sign that it's going to be another inconsistent season.

edt - Looking at Nebraska's schedule this is the year that lines up for them to make a run for it. They don't play Oklahoma (unless they meet them in the Big 12 Championship game), they get a weaker Texas at home, and they get their biggest competition in the North (Missouri IMO) at home,. I still feel like there could be a letdown in there somewhere.

Lockesnow:

I think I agree with this more than with Ken Stone's assessment. I think Missouri will throttle K-State at home. After last weekend's win in the last minute against San Diego State, I don't know what to think...they looked terrible, especially Gabbert. If they don't get their shit together, Lincoln is going to be a nightmare trip for them. Speaking of which, Washington was terrible and Locker choked terribly. No discredit to Nebraska, their defense is making opposing teams look terrible. The San Diego State game reminded me of the Oklahoma State game 2 years ago, except this time they came out on top. Hopefully this is the wake-up call that will get their asses in gear.....or it's a sign that it's going to be another inconsistent season.

Might as well justify my picks. I put Texas above OK because Texas seems to have the better defense. They've been working on their power rushing attack and if they can get that going consistently then they are going to be a solid team. The combination of solid power rush and stingy defense is hard to beat. While OK has the strong win against FS, they also have the not so strong win against Air Force. At best that was a result of a big win let down. At worst they are inconsistent, which is a death knell when you are playing a sport like CFB, where every game is important.

As for Mizzu vs KState, it really is a toss up. KState has a better rushing attack but Mizzu is more explosive when they are on. I guess I prefer the consistency of KState over the potential of Mizzu.

The odd thing is the team in the B12 with the best win is arguably Kansas, but they also have 2 losses where they looked terrible.

There's been quite a kerfluffle around some WV message boards about our starting CB Brandon Hogan. Hogan is a senior, he is definitely the best defensive back at WVU, probably the best in the Big East, and possibly one of the best in the entire country. He'll get drafted. He's a key piece to our defense. Brandon Hogan has been in a little trouble throughout his time at WVU and has had to work his way out of the dog house before, nothing too major, I think just an underage drinking charge. That is, until a couple weeks ago when he got popped for a DUI in Morgantown.

The immediate result was indefinite suspension, and he did not play last week against Maryland and did not practice with the team prior to the game either. He scrubbed the stadium seats instead. Well, Hogan's replacement on the field is a young man named Pat Miller who was the culprit both times on blown coverages that led to Maryland's only two touchdowns. Now with us going down to LSU next Saturday... the issue of whether or not Hogan should be allowed to play has been pretty hotly debated amongst WVU fans. Some saying that he should be done for several games, or possibly for the entire season, while others argue that not only has he not yet been to court for his actions, but in general, people do not often lose their jobs over a DUI.

On the one hand, the kids a senior, sitting him for the entire season would probably really hurt his draft potential. Is it fair for him to essentially pay for the rest of his life for a crime he has not yet been convicted (though probably will be)? And, well, we need the guy, and we'll need him this Saturday. Then, on the other hand, letting him play might send the message that the rules don't apply to him. That hey, you're good at football, so you can get away with more than regular people! Also there's the whole integrity issue, that the one charge that nobody could lay at Stew's feet is that he lacked integrity and these guys need to feel the sting of the consequences of their actions.

The official line is that the Seniors on the team will vote on whether or not Hogan should be allowed to play, with Stewart making the final call. Though word is that Hogan has been practicing with the team this week and will definitely be going (and dressing) for the LSU game. I'm interested to see what happens. I'm going to bet that they play him. Should he play though? Personally I don't really have an opinion one way or the other. I think both arguments have merit. Just thought I'd post the situation for some neutral (non-WVU fan) observers and see what the thoughts were.

Why would DUI mean anything to someone´s university career? It´s a matter of law and he´ll get something. Unless there´s something in NCAA/WVU rules then it´s really none of their business.

I'm sure that there are 'team rules' of some kind, and I'm sure that getting a DUI violates them. However, Coach Stewart is probably the judge, jury, and executioner as far as those rules are concerned.

I tend to agree with you though... let the courts sort out his off-field behavior and let Stewart worry about how he covers WR's. Still, there were several posters who were extremely adamant that Hogan not be allowed to play. That if he did play it would be a terrible blow to Stewart's integrity. I can see where they are coming from... but ultimately I disagree. I won't hold it against Stewart if he does bench Hogan, but if he plays him I don't see it as some grievous affront to upstanding moral values.

For purely selfish reasons I hope Hogan does play. Not keen on getting repeatedly torched on the deep ball down in Death Valley.

I can agree that most people wouldn’t lose their job over a DUI, but for people in positions of responsibility like those with top secret clearances, who wear a uniform, etc. there is definitely the potential to lose your job or take a reduction in rank/pay. This may seem unfair to some people, considering the wives and children of the guilty party are the ones who really suffer, but more is expected from some people. These athletes are given a tremendous, and rare, opportunity to make millions playing a game they love. If they blow it by being punks or criminals, they deserve to lose that opportunity in favor of someone who will appreciate it and act accordingly. Professional athletes, like Hogan was certain to become without a DUI conviction, are often viewed as role models by children and aspiring athletes. It is not unfair or unreasonable to expect them to be held to a high standard of professional conduct on and off the field.

Can anyone remind me of the name of the player from Wisconsin who beat the crap out of his girlfriend and his only punishment was that he couldn’t play in road games? Talk about an athlete getting preferential treatment…

Can anyone remind me of the name of the player from Wisconsin who beat the crap out of his girlfriend and his only punishment was that he couldn’t play in road games? Talk about an athlete getting preferential treatment…

Do you mean he wasn´t convicted in court because he played football? Or why else did he receive preferential treatment in your opinion?

Do you mean he wasn´t convicted in court because he played football? Or why else did he receive preferential treatment in your opinion?

I’m not sure what happened to him in court and I tried to Google him and the story about nine different ways before responding but all the sites that look remotely helpful are blocked by our firewall at work. I think that athletes that are convicted in court should face a punishment for the criminal laws they have broken, as well as face punishments from the team and/or NCAA for their activities. As I said before, these young men and women can reasonably assume that they will be viewed as a role model and make inordinate amounts of money. Both of these should carry some enforceable expectation of professional conduct.

So, I felt that in this instance, the punishment he was given by school or NCAA, based solely on him being an athlete, was too light for the severity of the crime. You may feel it is irrational of me to argue my next point, but I would bet that it was lighter than another player on the same team would have faced if they weren’t the star player at that position (I think it was RB). If they were expendable, they probably would have been kicked off the team.

Why would DUI mean anything to someone´s university career? It´s a matter of law and he´ll get something. Unless there´s something in NCAA/WVU rules then it´s really none of their business.

For the same reason this guy's in trouble with his team:

On Tuesday, 10 men, including a Michigan State University football player (Dion Sims) and another MSU student, were charged with participating in a crime ring that sold 104 stolen computers (worth $158,800, stolen from the Detroit Public Schools) in seven other states, Canada and the United Arab Emirates. Internal tracking devices led officials to stolen DPS computers.
Detroit Free Press

While the latter case is a felony punishable by up to 10 years, both players (are reasonably suspected in having) committed crimes. Their actions off the field reflect on the programs and schools in question and as a result, the schools should have the ability to exact punishment when necessary.

dalThor,

A little off topic here, but have you ever tried justintv? People stream games from the states on there all the time and I watched a good bit of WVU's season opener that way. I bet you could catch most MSU games on there, too.

dalThor,

A little off topic here, but have you ever tried justintv? People stream games from the states on there all the time and I watched a good bit of WVU's season opener that way. I bet you could catch most MSU games on there, too.

I do actually, thanks for the tip anyway though. MSU was a late game if I remember correctly, too late for me this week. I'm often more likely to find a Lion's game while searching for the opponent. Go figure. :) This week the best I could do was some guy with his webcam pointed at the TV, and then I couldn't even find that...

The immediate result was indefinite suspension, and he did not play last week against Maryland and did not practice with the team prior to the game either. He scrubbed the stadium seats instead. Well, Hogan's replacement on the field is a young man named Pat Miller who was the culprit both times on blown coverages that led to Maryland's only two touchdowns. Now with us going down to LSU next Saturday... the issue of whether or not Hogan should be allowed to play has been pretty hotly debated amongst WVU fans. Some saying that he should be done for several games, or possibly for the entire season, while others argue that not only has he not yet been to court for his actions, but in general, people do not often lose their jobs over a DUI.

I think that for a first time DUI, a one game suspension plus discipline during practice is appropriate (as well as all legal penalties). Additional offenses within the year should result in increasingly stricter punishment.

For a felony, dismissal from the team is appropriate.

I do also think that legal trouble outside the team is the team's and the school's business. Playing on a team is a privilege in which the player is a representative of the school and is someone with whom the school is identified and associated. I can't say I was ever sorry that Va Tech dismissed Marcus Vick after numerous misdemeanors for which he wasn't at all sorry. Since leaving Va Tech, he's just continued to get into more legal trouble, and I don't think that a person who behaves that way is a benefit to a team, no matter how good an athlete.

I do actually, thanks for the tip anyway though. MSU was a late game if I remember correctly, too late for me this week. I'm often more likely to find a Lion's game while searching for the opponent. Go figure. :) This week the best I could do was some guy with his webcam pointed at the TV, and then I couldn't even find that...

If it´s not on atdhe.net or vipstand.net don´t bother searching.

My God. The Big East is terrible. Way to represent Pitt. Were they even trying out there? Jesus.

Right now, West Virginia, and possibly Rutgers (!) appear to be the only half-decent teams. And that could easily change this weekend if UNC beats Rutgers and if West Virginia gets demolished at LSU.

Speaking of which.. I'm pretty excited about the game tomorrow! Its going to be on TV here, but it will start at 4am. I'm definitely going to watch it, just trying to decide whether its better to get up really early or to stay up all night.

Apparently LSU has not lost to an OOC regular season opponent in quite sometime. And they don't often lose at home at night. Their D is beast, and our O-line is suspect. Sprinkle in a loud, hostile crowd and I see this game as something that could potentially get out of hand really fast for us. I guess I could take some solace in that we wouldn't be alone amongst teams to have been pounded by LSU in Death Valley.

However, homer that I am... I think we've got a shot. Typically WVU plays the SEC better than most, we do have speed on offense to match their defensive speed, and the Mountaineers often play well when the deck seems to be stacked against us. If we can put together a full game, and if our O-line plays with some heart, then I think we could upset LSU at night at home. And what a glorious thing that would be. Not much better in the college football world than going into SEC country and taking a scalp or two.

In the end though, I've braced myself for a loss, and possibly a bad one. I am just hoping that if we do lose, we keep it respectable and don't roll over and give up.

UK has yet to turn the ball over... and Florida leads the nation in takeaways. History says UK will get the worst of that exchange.

Florida has yet to score in the first quarter this season... but scored 31 against UK in the first quarter last year in Lexington. History says UK will come out on the bottom end of that too.

However, if UK can get out early, hang a couple of scores before Florida gets rolling, and then hand the game over to Derrick Locke and Randall Cobb; I actually like our chances.

Cobb is the best athlete in the nation. Yeap. I said it. Kentucky football has the best athlete in college football, but most people won't see him play because the team is lower middle of the pack in the SEC. He has run, thrown, and caught touchdowns already this season and is absolute lightning in a bottle when he gets the ball in space. Derrick Locke has been an absolute beast on the ground with some solid runs and blazing speed. If he can break the first tackle, no one will catch him. He came to UK on a track scholarship and was one of the fastest runners in the SEC as a freshman, but now focuses on football.

Let me be up front, in no way am I saying that UK will win today... but if they do that's how it will be done.

I'll definitely be pulling for UK today. I don't really have a favorite team outside of WVU (though believe it or not I tend to be somewhat partial to both Arkansas and Michigan State when I'm not preoccupied by the 'eers). Arkansas because I lived in Fayetteville for a few years, and MSU because I hate Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, and Penn State... which means that I find myself pulling for Sparty quite often. Other than that I usually I bide my non-WVU watching time pulling for traditional powers to lose to the underdog. Even better if they are in the top 10!

Archived