Westeros Blog: New Gallery Images

Westeros

GameOfThrones_Preview01_Screencap01_S.pngWe’ve added screencaps fromHBO’s Fall/Winter 2010 preview video, featuring Sean Bean as Eddard Stark and Alfie Allen as Theon Greyjoy, to the gallery. These shots are interesting in that they probably give us our best idea of how the series will look when it hits the air, as the teaser footage makes use of a very dark filter and the behind the scenes is straight-up documtenary footage.

Visit the Site!

Very nice pics! Sean Bean is going to make such an awesome Ned.

Looks very good, and Ice looks the business. Perhaps a tad less "ceremonial" and a bit more functional looking than I had envisaged, but then again, the North isn't known for pomp and circumstance, so...

Yeah, Ice is a bit too plain, even for the North. Kinda looks like any other ordinary sword that he just grabbed from the pile of ordinary swords he had stuffed somewhere. But at least it's big enough, right?

Can someone answer this? How are they going to maintain continuity with Ned's/Sean's hair? In the pilot, Sean is sporting his own hair (albeit they colored it darker). Now I noticed in one of the caps (scene with Mark Addy) that he's sporting a wig which doesn't look anything like his hair was in the pilot! It's longer and the style is totally different. Surely they aren't going to re-shoot all of his scenes from the pilot! I'm just curious as to why they didn't just make him a wig to match what he had in the pilot?

By way of comparison, compare to Valyrian Steel's Ice. In all the excitement, I missed the fact that they posted some pictures of the still-in-production sword: Ice (scroll down). Also, concept art. This was done in close consultation with GRRM, though as I've noted elsewhere, George allows some artistic license so it's not necessarily a pure vision of "This absolutely IS Ice".

Markedly different, in any case.

ThePhoenix,

Well, in the books, months pass between the execution and Ned's time in King's Landing. There's also the fact that the scenes in the pilot are rather windswept. So, in any case, a change of hairstyle doesn't seem unlikely.

At first I wasn't crazy about HBO's version of Ice, I too thought it looked a bit plain, but the more I see it the more it's growing on me. Especially after seeing it's digital form at the end of the raven trailer. I certainly prefer it to Valyrian Steel's version (assuming its the same design I saw a few months ago, I can't access the links at work) To Valyrian Steels credit I absolutely LOVE their version of Longclaw, I wish HBO could use it in the show.

I had always kind of imagined (from the descriptions in the books)Valyrian steel to have a kind of "mokume gane" effect to it. Though in the pictures here it's hard to make out clearly, there does seem to be that kind of effect in greys in all but the very edges of the blade. I guess we'll eventually see better, but unless my perception is projecting my expectation (he-heh), it looks spot on in my book.

Archived