1st HBO preview, 2nd thread about it

Angalin

- Jack Sparrow

To address your questions in the previous thread. I didn't see what the Kings Guard were wearing under their outfits, sorry! Also, the whole block thing came from me originally. I said ages ago on WIC that I had been told by GOT that they were filming in blocks. Now the episode speculation I think came from here and WIC. They probably are filming in blocks of three episodes but there's nothing to say that they have to be in chronological order. Schedules of actors/availability of sets and locations and weather all play a part in the scheduling of the episodes. For example, it made sense to shoot the Tourney in late August as that is when Northern Ireland usually gets it's best weather (indeed it was sunny for most of the week - except for a few showers when we all dived under the pavilion!).

So I wouldn't be surprised if the episodes are shoot out of sequence. I wouldn't be surprised if certain scenes within episodes where shot out of sequence too. This makes financial sense.

For example, if there are several coutyard scenes in winterfell spread out over the course of the 10 episodes, it would make sense to film them close one batch as the cast/crew are there already. They may or may not work like this and it is just speculation.

As far as the blocks themselves go... for a rough outline, it looks like the 3 blocks are approximately 2 months each which would suggest that the first block is ending in the next week or so.

Again this is just speculation. I have no inside knowledge of this.

Yeah, things are definitely out of sequence. I think in regards to blocks, it looks like director matters most for deciding what they'll shoot when. So, for example, it looks like Brian Kirk is handling episode 1 reshoots, plus episodes 3 and 5. The scene with Arya vs. Joff, and Lady's death, seems to have been filmed after the tourney was filmed. I'm guessing episodes 2 and 4, or 4 and 6, are part of the next block of filming.

We've seen shots of Tyrion and Catelyn in the Mountains of the Moon sequence, and that's about at the mid-point of the book, I believe.

Obviously the Tourney and training scenes at the Wall, and the kids training at Winterfell. Judging by Robert's costume, the scenes in the Small Council seem to be on the same day as the Tourney scene - unless he wears the same thing all the time, but I doubt that.

The Dany stuff we've seen seems to be from pretty early on - speculation is that it's from early in their journey, when they are still close to the Free Cities, due to all the trees.

I was listening to the commentary for a period drama the other day, and the shooting schedule was entirely determined by location. All the outdoor stuff was done first, then they moved on to interiors. It makes the acting more challenging, because in some cases the actors were reacting to something that had been filmed 100 miles away and a month before. A friend of mine likes to cite DiCaprio in some early non-Titanic movie as being an example of good acting under similar circumstances.

Archived