Community - Season 2 [SPOILERS]

Brude

And I agree with Brady that there are so many jokes flying by, from all directions. Chang has some great ones, but Abed, Pierce and Jeff all throw out a lot too. Sometimes I think I need to watch it at 80% speed so that I don't miss anything while laughing at the last joke.

That's where the greatness of a show like this comes into play. You can rewatch the seasons at a later date and still be just as amused by catching things that slipped by previously.

Yes, exactly this. And Abed's comments about preferring the paint-ball type episode and distinguishing formulaic TV sitcoms from his "real" life. ("TV has plot, structure.....and a likable male protagonist"). Abed is the writer's plant to partially narrate the meta parodies.

We even heard Britta compared to Rachel, before they tore down the love triangle. At the end of the last season it looked like it might fall into a predictable love triangle story, and then they pulled the rug out from under it in the very first episode of the new season.

I think that it was in the same episode where Abed corrects the comparison to Ross and Rachel by comparing them more akin to Sam and Diane. But my favorite part of that was Annie asking Who? and Shirley getting upset and exclaiming, "We get it! You're young!"

If you didn't know, OldWhiteManSays from Thursday's episode is real. They've got SO many great new Pierce-isms up there, and more keep getting added. Was happy to see them keep that reference alive.

A sample:

"Kids are like dogs. If you want them to obey you, you need to treat them like children."

"Anthropology? Why study my ancient ancestors when we can just study the primitive races like Eskimos or Italians."

Really enjoyed the Wes Anderson homage at the beginning of the episode and the LOTR homage at the end. Senor Chang as gollum is oddly perfect.

Annie's smack was awesome, even on second viewing. And love how Abed is becoming Dan Harmon's conduit to us. Like Abed, Harmon's said as much in interviews about wanting to do another Paintball type episode. The show comes of preternaturally self aware as a result and in tune with what a large segment of its fans are thinking.

Community's self-awareness and good chemistry between the characters reminded me of Arrested Development. Lo and behold in my watching, I noticed that the two recurring police offers from Arrested Development make separate appearances in Community: one as a police officer and the other as a janitor in the Good Will Hunting parody. Tony Hale (Buster) is the pottery teacher. John Michael Higgins (Attorney Wayne Jarvis) as the carpe diem accounting professor. So I discovered that two of the directors Joe and Anthony Russo were directors on Arrested Development.

I really enjoyed the episode, definitely laughed my ass off, but it just wasn't as awesome as it should have been. I think they went a little too overboard in the meta-Abed talk (although I about DIED laughing when Shirley said "Are you being meta again?"), and the Britta/Jeff thing is just...annoying. Also thought the Senor Chang-gollum bit was just too overdone.

Still, love the show, have been watching since day one and will continue to do so.

That entire scene was rolling-on-the-ground hilarious.

I loved how the skewed logic of the situation just kept building and building on top of itself, until it reached greater heights of lunacy.

Drew Carey looks fantastic!

Actually he looked a little weird to me, like they CGI'd his head on some thin guy's body.

Apparently what my life needed today was to watch Alison Brie spontaneously chloroform people.

Yeah, "spontaneously chloroform people" is the scene I'm thinking about too... ¬_¬

I love this show so much. Jeff's lawyer-talk always cracks me up, and I was almost rolling on the floor when Troy was freaking out with the whole "My whole brain is crying!" thing. And Abed is the best supporting character in the history of supporting characters.

For some reason I didn't find myself in the kinds of hysterics this show normally puts me in. There was nothing wrong with it that I could discern, and much of it was really great: all of the evil lawyers Jeff used to work with, etc., Drew Carey and Rob Corrdry were both great. Might have been my mood, or whatever.

Archived