Dragon stuff

Lord Varys

We do know that GRRM likey tourney very much. We also do know that the stock of Targaryen dragons increased during the time of their early reign (Aegon only had three, Jaehaerys I took five dragons with him to Winterfell, so he had at least as much, or even more - and this visit could even have taken place after Balerion's death), until most of them died during the Dance of Dragons.

So what did the Targaryens do with their dragons during peace time (and the times were peaceful during the 70 years of Jaehaerys and Viserys)? Of course, there should/could have been some kind of tourney involving dragons. Such things could have been really fun, especially as huge spectacles which showed the whole Realm splendor and power of their ruling dynasty. Unfortunately no one ever talked about them. At least until now. One should really dig into the possibility of such things ;-).

And then we also want a dragon family tree. It started with Aegon's dragons, and only went on for six generations (if we count Aegon's III generation a generation were dragons were born), so in total it's unlikely that there were more then 20 grown Targaryen dragons.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

So what did the Targaryens do with their dragons during peace time

Dragon fire can be used as energy source for construction, or as an ingredient for magic.

Dragon strength can be also be used for construction similar to how cranes are used.

Dragon flight is an obvious means of transportation.

Dragon meat is probably illegal to eat, but it shouldn't stop the wealthy from trying.

They were showing them off. Ser Arlan (knight Dunk was squiring for) mentions seeing last one when young so I guess general public could go and see them. They were likely used to travel in style, more to impress than for practical purposes (flying is faster but royalty always travels with lots of baggage). Alysanne, wife of Jaeherys I used her dragon when sightseeing in North after getting bored by her husband visit to Winterfell.

So what did the Targaryens do with their dragons during peace time (and the times were peaceful during the 70 years of Jaehaerys and Viserys)?

Wasn't it the Pyromancer who once said that some the alchemist guild's spells could only most when dragons where around? So it's not simply fire from dragons that can help in magical spells (as another poster noted) but it is also the existence of dragons that helps in magical spells. There's another thing that dragons helped with during peace time.

They were showing them off. Ser Arlan (knight Dunk was squiring for) mentions seeing last one when young so I guess general public could go and see them. They were likely used to travel in style, more to impress than for practical purposes (flying is faster but royalty always travels with lots of baggage). Alysanne, wife of Jaeherys I used her dragon when sightseeing in North after getting bored by her husband visit to Winterfell.

They were in the Dragon Pit under the Red Keep, remember? That's probably where they went to see them. Barristan Selmy (under his squire guise) mentioned to Dany that the Targaryens often kept their dragons in the Dragon Pit during their rule, making the point that dragons could only reach their full growth in freedom. So Ser Arlan probably saw them in the Dragon Pit...

• 5 weeks later...

Dragon fire can be used as energy source for construction, or as an ingredient for magic.

Dragon strength can be also be used for construction similar to how cranes are used.

Dragon flight is an obvious means of transportation.

Dragon meat is probably illegal to eat, but it shouldn't stop the wealthy from trying.

Don't forget about dragonglass. Maybe they used some to mass produce dragonglass because SOMEBODY was smart enough to make weapons from dragonglass.

isn't dragonglass, obsidium the same thing, and wasn,t that something that the children of the forest used to craft, i remember there being a pact between the nights watch and the children, were the children would dilver the dragonglass to them so they could fight tht e white walkers

isn't dragonglass, obsidium the same thing, and wasn,t that something that the children of the forest used to craft, i remember there being a pact between the nights watch and the children, were the children would dilver the dragonglass to them so they could fight tht e white walkers

dragonglass is obsidian, whereas obsidium is a fictional metal from the Warcraft games.

I don't think they did much of anything with their dragons - even when under control it sounds like they can be pretty fearsome and unruly, and they specifically built the dragon pit to keep the dragons from hunting. Which also means that the dragons didn't get very big, and they didn't get very tough, and they got very sterile. I would be willing to wager so few Targaryen were actually capable of mounting dragons by the time a generation or two went by, that the dragons were probably kept around as a symbol of power, but eventually when the way of the Western Lions.

• 2 weeks later...

We don't know how Valyrian steel is made, what if one needs dragons? At the very least their presence would make spells more effective but maybe they where more directly involved.

Perhaps Valyrian steel is steel forged with obsidian, aka dragonglass, using dragons fire. If Valyrian steel swords where a mix of steel and obsidian it would explain why they are so sharp, light, and why they can kill the others. Or maybe they used dragons blood, if kings blood has power then dragons blood must be gold.

It would be another reason why Valyrian steel swords are so rare, its hard to control a dragon and get them to do whatever it is they are needed to do to forge the swords.

We don't know how Valyrian steel is made, what if one needs dragons? At the very least their presence would make spells more effective but maybe they where more directly involved.

Perhaps Valyrian steel is steel forged with obsidian, aka dragonglass, using dragons fire. If Valyrian steel swords where a mix of steel and obsidian it would explain why they are so sharp, light, and why they can kill the others. Or maybe they used dragons blood, if kings blood has power then dragons blood must be gold.

It would be another reason why Valyrian steel swords are so rare, its hard to control a dragon and get them to do whatever it is they are needed to do to forge the swords.

I think there's no need of dragons or obsidian to forge Valyrian steel. Some blades are reforged during A Song of Ice and Fire, and they only need certain magical techniques of old (the details are not revealed).

Of course, maybe they're only reforged because Daenerys children allowed it (living dragons permit/increase magical capabilities in Westeros and Essos). So, that's an indirect link between Valyrian steel and dragons.

All Valyrian magic was based on fire and blood, and I guess that's the reason Valyrian steel kills the Others.

• 1 month later...

Rather than starting a new topic, this seems an appropriate place for a few dragon questions that've been bothering me.

Just how fast do dragons grow when not constrained? Balerion's size is what's prompting this question.

We know that one rider cannot have multiple dragons, but is the reverse true? Did Aegon inheirit Balerion, or did he raise him from an egg? If he did, how long did it take for him to grow so damn big?

And then we also want a dragon family tree. It started with Aegon's dragons, and only went on for six generations (if we count Aegon's III generation a generation were dragons were born), so in total it's unlikely that there were more then 20 grown Targaryen dragons.

we have 19 dragon skulls in the keep, so they at least had 19 dragons

• 2 weeks later...

How do dragons breed, exactly? They are said to be both male and female, in a way. Does that mean they are hermaphrodites and "agree on" who plays which role, or is it a different way altogether (like, one dragon reproducing with itself)?

How do dragons breed, exactly? They are said to be both male and female, in a way. Does that mean they are hermaphrodites and "agree on" who plays which role, or is it a different way altogether (like, one dragon reproducing with itself)?

Disclaimer: I am an economist not a biologist. But this is my lay-person understanding. If there is a biologist in the house please correct me.

I got the impression that this worked like it does with some frogs and amphibians. They change gender based on the gender makeup of the rest of the population I believe. Like If 80% of the population of frogs are female, a bunch of them will switch. I think it's African Reed Frogs that do it.

Disclaimer: I am an economist not a biologist. But this is my lay-person understanding. If there is a biologist in the house please correct me.

I got the impression that this worked like it does with some frogs and amphibians. They change gender based on the gender makeup of the rest of the population I believe. Like If 80% of the population of frogs are female, a bunch of them will switch. I think it's African Reed Frogs that do it.

So they would lay their own egg and then inseminate it? That's kind of gross, actually.

So they would lay their own egg and then inseminate it? That's kind of gross, actually.

Well, I think with the frogs, you have a female frog, capable of being inseminated, and there are too many females in the area, the female frog will grow boy parts, and be able to successfully inseminate a female frog, who will then have babies. They wouldn't reproduce asexually, just be a different gender when convenient.

Archived