U.S. Politics, 9 trillion

lokisnow

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/oct/04/us-midterms-most-expensive-elections

The US midterm elections are on course to become the most expensive in history next month, estimated at well over $5bn (£3.15bn) – an indication of how much is riding on the outcome of the biggest test of US public opinion since the 2008 White House race.

With the Democrats facing electoral disaster and Barack Obama battling to save his presidency, the Republicans are resurgent, their campaign chests bursting with money from big corporations whose spending power has been unleashed by a supreme court ruling earlier this year providing anonymity for donors.

The estimated $5bn dwarfs the $1bn spent on the White House race.

im glad that a demographic that was apparently so underrepresented before now has the oppertunity to be heard. truly, an advancement of freedom for the country.

Noted faux-populist xenophobic douchebag Lou Dobbs hired illegal immigrants to take care of his houses and his daughter's horses:

Macdonald spoke to other immigrants who worked in Dobbs' gardens, including a man named Rodrigo Ortega. Ortega told her about meeting Dobbs, who introduced himself in Spanish as "Luis." Ortega also said that Dobbs "knew very well that the majority of us didn't have papers," but that this "was never a problem."

Dobbs also neglected to pay Ortega and the other gardeners any overtime, even though they worked a fifty-hour week. Macdonald writes that this was consistent with Dobbs' overall treatment of his workers.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/10/07/lou-dobbs-hired-illegal-immigrants_n_753799.html

My, the schadenfreude is particularly delicious this afternoon.

Should we be happy Reid is gone? Or scared that someone as batshit fucking crazy as Angle could end up a Senator?

Agree with Fez. Angle is scary, but she's just one person. I'd gladly take her as a Senator as long as Dems keep control of the Senate and we get a new Majority Leader. Someone who isn't a spineless cretin. Or, well, since they're a politician, just not spineless.

Noted faux-populist xenophobic douchebag Lou Dobbs hired illegal immigrants to take care of his houses and his daughter's horses:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/10/07/lou-dobbs-hired-illegal-immigrants_n_753799.html

My, the schadenfreude is particularly delicious this afternoon.

Saw that earlier. So is hating illegal immigrants the new hating homosexuals? You mainly do so because you feel guilty for secretly hiring them just as some of the more vocal gay haters have been busted sexing up other guys?

Yes Ser Possum, yes it is.

To wit:

Rick Scarborough is calling on Pastors to mobilize support for the GOP. Because the end times are coming and God's gonna be pissed if America isn't white and conservative.

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/scarborough-pastors-must-use-politics-maintain-order-until-jesus-returns

He was a featured speaker at the National Tea Party Convention earlier this year, where he dropped this gem:

If we are to become 30 per cent Hispanic we will no longer be America.

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/category/individuals/rick-Scarborough?page=2

Obama won't sign foreclosure challenge bill

President Barack Obama will not sign legislation that could have made it more difficult for homeowners to challenge unjustified foreclosure actions, the White House said on Thursday.

The bill would have required courts to accept all out-of-state notarizations, including those stamped en masse by computers in a practice that critics say has been improperly used to expedite foreclosure orders.

False notarizations figured in disclosures that GMAC, JPMorgan and other big mortgage processors filed false affidavits in thousands of cases, part of the wave of foreclosures that came in the wake of the financial and economic crisis.

The bill, passed by the House of Representatives in April, seemed destined to die with no action on it in the Senate Judiciary Committee. But on September 27, the day before the Senate recessed for the midterm election campaign, it was rushed through and passed by the full Senate.

Passage of the bill caught homeowners' advocates, including lawyers and some state officials, by surprise.

I'm surprise I hadn't heard more about this before this morning. It's sounds like one slimy piece of legislation and I hope Obama sticks to his guns and shoots it down.

Obama won't sign foreclosure challenge bill

I'm surprise I hadn't heard more about this before this morning. It's sounds like one slimy piece of legislation and I hope Obama sticks to his guns and shoots it down.

Board lawyers, wouldn't this fall under the 10th Amendment and that bit in the Constitution about rewriting contracts?

Board lawyers, wouldn't this fall under the 10th Amendment and that bit in the Constitution about rewriting contracts?

I think it would fall under the interstate commerce clause (legitimately for once). The government requiring courts in one state to recognize notaries from another for the purpose of executing a contract.

Archived