Westeros Blog: UK Sees Game of Thrones in April

Westeros

Like a few other grumblers, i was hoping to see this on Sky one (which I have). The new package would have to be very good (and available through virgin cable) for me to fork out £19 a month. And showing Boardwalk empire a couple of months after it finishes in the US - utterly retarded. Give me the thing a day (or two) after the US broadcast and maybe the package will be worth it but that's laughable. I could probably buy the DVD from the US before it comes out on the sky "premium" channel.

Looks like I'll be finding other ways to watch it and buying the UK DVD when it's released (£40 tops and that's probably blu-ray).

Yeah, I had avoided watxhing Broadwalk Empire online as I assumed it was coming to a chennel I already owned, no point now, I may as well watch t online see if its as good as promised and then buy the DVD's.

Hang on, so it won't be on Sky One?? Who the hell is going to watch it?? It should have been either on Sky One or the BBC to get the big viewing figures.

It wouldn't be getting big viewing figures on Sky One anyway (six figures at best), so putting it on this new channel isn't that much of a change. It would have gotten something like ten times the viewers on BBC-1 though,

I thought this was a big production, so why isn't it being shown off??

Because Sky paid HBO a lot more money than the BBC was prepared to for the series. Simple as that. HBO don't care how many people in other countries are watching, just what those broadcasters are prepared to pay. If HBO can make twice as much money from Sky who then only show it to half a million people compared to getting less money from the BBC to show it to five million, then they'll do that.

There's an awful lot of people who are big Pratchett fans who have never seen the TV adaptations with David Jason... many of whom aren't aware they even exist. Were it not for the internet (and newspapers reporting on the internet) many UK based GRRM fans would similarly not know that was an AGOT adaptation until they saw the DVD in the shops. SKY is nothing.

For any lacking there will be in viewing figures, I'm sure UK fans (and in other places) will more than make up for it in DVD sales.

HBO will receive their tribute. :D

ETA: I wonder what the timing will be for the Season One DVD release. Xmas time or later?

Archived