Westeros Blog: New Photo from the Set

Westeros

The Making Game of Thrones site has a new photo posted, featuring the Hand’s seat in the small council chamber. This chair was previously glimpsed in the “Raven” teaser, and drew some commentary from us in our screencapture gallery. Looking at it from this vantage point, we see we were well off the mark in suggesting it seemed inspired by the Rococo period.

Visit the Site!

Anyone familiar with antique furniture? I've been very curious to see what particular period of furniture the chair seems inspired by, but I've been stumped by a lack of knowledge of the terminology. For example, the capital-looking things part way up the chair -- it looks very much like a carved rendition of a Corinthian capital, but I can't seem to find any references to what elements like this are called in furniture.

I did find that Renaissance furniture introduced a lot of classical architectural elements, so I'm thinking something in that area for this particular chair...

The column capitals look sort of Corinthian, but they are more squared (as are the actually columns they are upon). Also, using plants as capitals to columns predates the Greeks - the Egyptians did it extensively too, using palm and lotus motifs, and maybe others as well.

Archived