Westeros Blog: Aidan Gillen Interviewed

Westeros

The Irish Times has published a profile of Aidan Gillen, the Irish actor cast in the role of Lord Petyr Baelish, better known to fans as Littlefinger. Gillen was a popular fan choice for the role, after his stellar work in such series as the original Queer as Folk and The Wire. The interview is largely focused on another project, Love/Hate, but Game of Thrones is referred to when his current facial hair is brought to the reader’s attention:

1224279870525_1.jpgThe facial hair he is sporting is for a role in the upcoming HBO series Game of Thrones (billed as “ The Sopranos in Middle Earth”), currently shooting in Belfast.

His character, Petyr Baelish, is a shadowy, mercurial figure. “So I based this look on Peter Mandelson circa 1984,” he says.

For those not familiar with U.K. Politics, Peter Mandelson was a television producer who rose to prominence with his involvement in the Labour party. He was one of the first individuals described as a “spin doctor” in the U.K., and earned the sobriquet of “the Prince of Darkness.” He did indeed wear a mustache in the 80’s and early 90’s.

Gillen’s remark suggests that the specific look for Petyr is his interpretation, which is interesting.

Visit the Site!

he sounds like a knob, i can't imagine he'd be too pleased with the write up. but that matters not, because he is amazing at what he does and he is so very perfect for the role.

IA - I read it yesterday and cringed. The journalist found him a real cold fish.

However, I think that LF is quite similar to "Mandy" in the old days. Mind you, if he plays it half as unctuous as Mandelson though, it'll be rather too slimy a portrayal for me.

Not sold on the stache. It looks too anachronistic. Yeah, I know - Westeros isn't medieval Earth. It still pulls me out of the immersion a bit. I could be wrong and people will be able to point out several examples of that type of mustache that is perfectly in line with the look they are going for, but my first impression is ewww. I'm sure I'll come around and it's not a big deal. It may be Gillen's interpretation, but production ok'd it, so who am I to say.

Archived