Soccer #23

Renasko

Here goes with another thread of the world's greatest game!

Kevin Davies has been called up to the England squad, Liverpool are in the relegation zone, Blackpool are in the top ten! And on top of that, Mainz are breaking records with their brilliance in the Bundesliga.

As someone once said, it's a funny game football.

Anyone else completely disinterested in this international break? I want league play!

MLS will get more attention from me this weekend. It's pretty silly how the ignore the FIFA calendar, but I'm just can't be bothered to watch internationals this weekend.

Europe as a whole is mental this year... Liverpool at the 18th position, Roma at 19th, Lyon at 17th... only Spain is normal (except that seeing Valence at the top is weird considering their last seasons).

Maybe this summer's WC harmed the physical preparation of international players, creating difficulties with top teams?

Glad to see van Marwijk has ejected De Jong from the Dutch squad. Finally. It sends a statement to the player as well as the world that we don't want this in our team. He's been playing far too much like Jurgen Kohler these last two years.

Kevin Davies has deserved a call-up for years, probably a bit late now, but to be fair to him, he deserves a shot. Hopefully Bent will lead the line and score a few goals. Otherwise I don't really care about England.

Bad news for Ireland ahead of our two big qualifiers. Duff is out, I don't care much about Andrews but Duff is one of our classier players. We're already missing Hunt and Stephen Kelly, so it's good that Coleman is in, I really hope he gets a game.

Keane and Given haven't been playing, Dunne hasn't been playing well, St. Ledger, Green and Lawrence are in the Championship, Doyle is our main hope to shine again.

Organised set-pieces and good defence is what we need to beat two teams who are, let's face it, more technically gifted than us. But I think we can do it.

Liverpool could do a hell of a lot worse than New England Sports Ventures. Red Sox had won nothing for over eighty years when NESV came in in 2002. Since then they've won two world series' and are a major contender (though they didn't make playoffs this year). I know it's another group with american sports history, but the Red Sox are a serious class above the Texas Rangers.

I thought Broughton gave a good interview here: http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/video/News-and-Interviews/10-11/Broughton-sale--21514.php3

Well at last it looks like Liverpool will be able to get rid of Hicks and Gillet, about fucking time, although it might result in them having to go into administration but apparently they won't lose points even if they do which is a good thing. I'm a little bit dubious about having more American owners but the chances of them being worse than the current set seem slim.

No it fucking isn't. How come the rules don't apply to Liverpool?

I think that the difference is that Liverpool will be able to pay off their debts. So it's not a situation where they "cheat" by buying players without the ability to meet their financial obligations. The ownership will transfer to RBS, who will sell it on. It won't go into a receivership with an administrator deciding what creditors get paid off and which creditors get screwed.

That's my understanding of the distinction at least.

No it fucking isn't. How come the rules don't apply to Liverpool?

Because apparently they're not going to be insolvent which is the point of the rules. The rules didn't apply to West Ham either so I think it's safe to say that the Premier League wants no part of taking points off anyone unless they absolutely have to, which is not particularly surprising.

It won't go into a receivership with an administrator deciding what creditors get paid off and which creditors get screwed.

That's fair enough then. It's 'administration' that threw me, coz while technically it might be that (I don't know financial terms really), it's not the usual football sense of someone from outside being brought in to sort shit out, it's just that the ownership will transfer to RBS temporarily. As far as I can tell.

That's fair enough then. It's 'administration' that threw me, coz while technically it might be that

Yeah, I think it's not technically administration. It's because Hick/Gillette took out the loans with Liverpool as collateral, they can't pay, and now the club may be transfered to the bank to satisfy the debt. That is, if the sale doesn't go through first.

Archived