Bakker XII: Spoilers for PON, TJE, and WLW

Spring Bass

I have a vague recollection that Bakker likes to stay somewhat in-character for those sorts of things. Is TTT glossary written by someone who would have any idea what a heroic effort would actually look like?

The glossary says that the Nonmen described them as "heroic efforts" before they understood the Inchoroi were to blame. The way it's phrased makes it pretty clear that they realised it was just for show later on.

Btw, it's also mentioned that the womb-plague made male Nonmen sick as well, but unlike the women they recovered, pointing to Inchoroi incompetence rather than a really elaborate scheme.

Crackpot theory: It's little Kel

Nah man, I think it's clear from TJE that Kel is a Mini-Conphas. He clearly seems to think, or is on his way to thinking, that's he a God. I put the blame squarely on the old Shigeki doctor who was like "Animals blahblah, Men reflect, Gods make real." So basically, huge swathes of people believe he is a Son of God, and he himself believes he's a god. The WLW is going to walk up to Esmenet and like try to kill her, when Kelmomas comes out and just snaps his neck and goes on a rant about how Yatwer shouldn't dare to intrude here, as he's the only God in town now.

Makes you wonder about the psychology about the other kids. Serwa, and Thelliopa don't seem to think of themselves as divine, though they might, but Cayutas is an arrogant douche, so maybe he does.

Nah its the crazy masturbating one.

What exactly happened there? Kellhus' kids seem to lie along the Autism-Schizophrenia axis.

ie.

http://thestrandedstarfish.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Schizotypal-Autistic-Spectrum.png

And then:

http://imgur.com/8X0Go.jpg

I guess. I think Kayutas might belong in the middle, I dunno. He's definitely the sanest/normal-est of those we've seen. I actually might now put Kayutas in the middle horizontally, but at the highest point of cognitive control.

I've decided Bakker has mastered Moe's dream-sending abilities. Every time I take a nap lately I have some weird dream about PoN or Neuropath.I've never had dreams about books in my life.

You can't fool me, Scott, I'm on to you!

Started a reread of AE today.

Some pollution begs not the cloth, but the knife; this I accept and understand.

Sin is sin.

That line always gives me chills. The book's final scene felt kinda "meh" to me though. Bakker has written tons of breathtaking scenes, so I'm surprised he didn't end AE with something more piercing.

Started a reread of AE today.

That line always gives me chills. The book's final scene felt kinda "meh" to me though. Bakker has written tons of breathtaking scenes, so I'm surprised he didn't end AE with something more piercing.

Do you mean the scene where Cleric emerges from the mountain after Achamian's group escapes Cil-Aujas or the part titled "interlude" with Kelmomas and Esmenet? Just wondering.

Here's a question: If you could change a single thing about the series, what would it be? Not in the interest of making it "better" necessarily, but simply from your personal view as the reader.

1. In all interior monologues where Kellhus addresses "Father," "Father" should be changed to "Papa" and the entire passage read in the voice of Barbara Streisand.

2. The words "tastes like licorice" should appear somewhere in conjunction with "black seed."

3. A conversation between Mereketrig and the crazy, masturbating, Kellhus-kid. (In fact, this should be a spin-off series a la Dunk and Egg . . . )

4. In an effort to make subtext text, Cnaiur should #$*& Conphas right in the #%$. Oh wait . . .

Do we actually know what happened to Cnauir (or however the hell you spell his name)? Could he be the WLW?

I don't think it is Sorweel. I know he thinks that he has Kellhus fooled but I think Kellhus is just playing along to see where Sorweel will lead him. There is no way that little weenie tricked Kellhus into thinking he was a true believer.

Bakker isn't the type of writer to bring a main character back from assumed death two books later. He can just write new characters, no need to reuse old ones.

In his latest blog post Bakker stated that he recently killed off two major characters (in the Unholy Consult.) any guesses?

Bakker isn't the top of writer to bring a main character back from assumed death two books later. He can just write new characters, no need to reuse old ones.

In his latest blog post Bakker stated that he recently killed off two major characters (in the Unholy Consult.) any guesses?

I think that likely candidates for potential death are:

Maithanet- Not important enough to be kept alive for the sake of the story, he has a lot of enemies coming from a lot of directions.

Sorweel- If we were talking about deaths in WLW, I would call this pretty unlikely, but by book three I could see it being possible. Clearly just a pawn in this game, so eventually it will be time to die.

Proyas - He's expendible from a plot perspective, not terribly good at protecting himself, and given the disastrous battles I suspect we'll see in book 3, it might be almost unavoidable.

It's possible that Maith or Proyas won't even make it through book 2, although I hope not.

Esme is going to die pretty soon. Too many enemies, too little competence.

Mimara is going to die as well, I think. Too much foreshadowing about TJE and all that fun.

Akka I think will hang around a bit longer.

And gods, I hope Sorweel dies.

I have a feeling that Akka and Esme will kick the bucket sooner or later. I imagine it being farther into the book though.

Akka, come on. Not going to happen. For many, especially with TJE, he has become their only source of original character interest - by this i mean the only original character that people care about. And by many, i mean me.

I'm fucking outskies if Akka bites it. Likewise if this is all plans within plans on Khellus's part.

Bakker isn't the type of writer to bring a main character back from assumed death two books later. He can just write new characters, no need to reuse old ones.

I just read that. Hmm, the way he wrote it makes it seem like it was an "eh, why not?" moment. Esmenet dying or such would be a pre-planned moment. A major character dying in a "Why not?" moment would probably be Saubon or Proyas, or even Kayutas, someone who's major, but whose death doesn't really affect the story.

I suppose Bakker could kill Esme and Mimara, but that would just add fuel to the Bakker hates women fire.
Yes, but see he'd do it just so that he could be contrary and say that he had planned it all along and wasn't going to bow to his editor's wishes! It's a brilliant plan.

Archived