Bakker XII: Spoilers for PON, TJE, and WLW

Spring Bass

I've been watching more anime lately at the recommendation of my son, and the more I see the more I can envision Prince of Nothing adapted as an anime or manga. As long as it was the right art studio, it'd be mind-bendingly spectacular. And compared to a lot in the genre, Prince of Nothing is actually comparatively normal (can't believe I just said rape-aliens and black sperm is normal), giving it a better chance with that type of audience than with mainstream Americans.

I've often thought the same thing. The variety of spells, action sequences along with the Consult lend themselves heavily to a damn good anime series.

Plus the hours of random philosophy and navel gazing lend themselves well to the random religious and metaphysical overtones many anime have, where they decide there has to be some bizarre meaning and plot behind blowing shit up with fire.

heck, tons of anime is randomly and loosely based on western history or western fiction. So is Bakker! It's perfect.

Doesn't Kellhus conjure some huge whirlwind around him to protect himself from Chorae bowmen at one point? If I recall, it's right at the beginning of the Aspect Emperor when the Great Ordeal is storming Sorweel's castle.

Doesn't Kellhus conjure some huge whirlwind around him to protect himself from Chorae bowmen at one point? If I recall, it's right at the beginning of the Aspect Emperor when the Great Ordeal is storming Sorweel's castle.

This happens in The Thousandfold Thought during the fight for Shimeh. All he does in The Judging Eye is create a bunch of mist out of the rain.

perhaps our thinking of topos are backwards. we think that damnation is the outside, but what if damnation is something that happened in the world, something humans caused because of the way they were treated by the nonmen, if Earwa is as malleable as suggested, damnation may have first been a worldly reality before it became a spiritual punishment. Topos could then be not so much the outside 'leaking' in but a physical manifestation of the state of damnation, a representation of the outside rooted in reality because of the topos not a place where the outside leaks in.

Never really thought about it, but this makes sense.

Plus the hours of random philosophy and navel gazing lend themselves well to the random religious and metaphysical overtones many anime have, where they decide there has to be some bizarre meaning and plot behind blowing shit up with fire.

heck, tons of anime is randomly and loosely based on western history or western fiction. So is Bakker! It's perfect.

Prince of Nothing isn't even published in Japan though, is it? And since it's not that popular in the States, I suppose it'd be pretty much impossible for it to be picked up as an anime. Sigh.

I don't think it would work as Anime, more likely as a HBO/BBC type drama.

A BBC/HBO drama with rape-aliens, erect phalluses, hours of philosophizing, and explosive sorcery...I don't think so.

A manga series or anime would be the way to go. Manga can be extremely filled with rape, gore and violence - I've read Battle Royale, and I guess a Prince of Nothing manga would be about the same level of graphic. The endless philosophizing, unwatchable in a movie, would also lend itself well to that format.

The Warrior-Prophet would work especially well as a manga. I mean, I can just see the Scarlet Spires sorcery exploding across whole pages, and the exaggerated sprays of blood when Kellhus rips through hundreds of enemies. Also, the scene where Kellhus is "resurrected" would be easy to do - just have him sketchily drawn, so you can't see if the heart is Serwe's or his own. And the Inchoroi scenes wouldn't pull any punches like a movie would have to.

The more I think about it as a manga/anime, the better it fits.

Bakker already has the tentacle monsters, but to Japan that'd be like chocolate chip cookies with only the chocolate chips. He needs schoolgirls. Perhaps if we start a petition he will hear our plea and have Esmi wearing a Sailor Moon outfit in The Unholy Consult, securing his fame and fortune in the Japanese market.

I think Serwe could easily be tweaked to fit that weird japanese submisive innocent archetype thing, but much of the good manga/anime doesn't provide so much 'fan service', thats a larger consideration for light or humourous types.

Also, there are no tentacles in PoN that I recall ;)

Cnaiur could sell it to the yaoi fans.

By the by, I thought Legend of the Overfiend was terrible - that's the kind of mysoginistic over the top shockfest crap that some folk would have you believe PoN is. Don't go chasing it down thinking its anything like PoN people.

Archived