Bakker XII: Spoilers for PON, TJE, and WLW

Spring Bass

What I don’t understand in your argument is what Kellhus took. It sounds as if you think that Kellhus’s New Empire is a step back—but it’s not as if the Three Seas enjoyed any kind of freedom before Kellhus. Certainly the cult of Yatwer did nothing to give anybody any kind of freedom. On the contrary Theirs is a cult of servitude; I expressed my distaste for it above.

Kellhus’s society is a step from a religion-sanctioned caste system towards utilitarianism. But you make it sound as if society has become less free under Kellhus. Is this only because we get so many POVs from subversive or sceptical factions (Sorweel, the Yatwerians, the constantly fretting Empress) rather than the glorious scions of House Ikurei? Are you being misled by Yatwerian propaganda to believe that slaves were better off during Xerius? They weren’t. Yatwerian cultists were, because theirs was the dominant religion among the lower castes. Now Kellhus has acquired countless followers among those who had nothing. That doesn’t make those followers less free.

I never said the people had more rights or more physical freedom before Kellhus. What i am saying is that they had some form of awareness, why is it so hard for you to grasp this? Kellhus is robbing them just that. A greedy empreror can be an oppressor and a tyrant in the eyes of the people, the God can't.

As for the Yatwerians, i don't have a conclusive opinion on them, since they haven't truly acted yet. Kellhus on the other hand has acted aplenty in all four books up to now, so the "Yatwerian Propaganda" has nothing to do with my opinion on him. He is still doing what he did during the Holy War, just on a larger scale, and i just so happen not to approve. I consider his methods unacceptable, and the harm they cause to a society extremely long lasting and hard to repair (like in the case of the real Crusades).

Bakker sent me the Word file for the final copy-edit of TWLW, so hopefully I can give you guys something to sink your teeth into in the near future! :D

Patrick

I will pack my stuff and leave you to it then, i want my copy of TWLW unspoiled and pure :P.

Bakker sent me the Word file for the final copy-edit of TWLW, so hopefully I can give you guys something to sink your teeth into in the near future! :DPatrick

I am really jealous. What would it take to have you "accidentally" email me a copy, hmmm? Shall I name my first born child after you? Or maybe a large (well not very large at all) cash donation? Say, ummm 18 dollars and 36 cents, would that be enough? :thumbsup:

his computer probably has a password, so killing him would help our goals.

First we need to insert filaments in his brain so he will gladly give us all his passwords, then you can proceed with your planned response if you still believe it necessary, however I urge you to consider the possibility of creating a permanent world born resource instead.

his computer probably has a password

It's probably something clever, like "password" or "1234".;)

Even if it is a decent one, if we can get physical access to his PC it won't be an obstacle. So we make it look like a break-in gone wrong and nobody will suspect he was murdered just to satisfy our curiosity.:leaving:

Two obvious conclusions here:

1) WLW is very close to finished, which makes me very happy.

2) Pat should definitely mail me the file, he needs an off-site backup. Very handy if his computer is stolen and his house burned down to hide an attempted murder.

Well, if it makes you feel any better, Bakker absolutely despise Word. Took him days to try to format the ms into something readable, an attempt he gave up.

As for killing me, you should know by now that I'm used to death threats. I was the only reviewers who got his hands on the last three Malazan books beforehand, after all.

Bribes, folks. They are so underrated, I find. . . :smoking:

Patrick

I was the only reviewers who got his hands on the last three Malazan books beforehand, after all.

You will have to consider that Bakker fans would probably be a much, much more disturbed lot than Malazan fans. And more intelligent, etc.

Anyhow, what's the going bribe rate these days? I'm sure we can organize a collection.

In my attempt to find out more information on this Pat person, I clicked on the link in his signature. Google Chrome did not like that, tells me that site hosts malware. Seems he is an ingenious person. First, he taunts us with WLW. Now he's boobytrapped himself to prevent us from finding that copy. This battle is yours, but the war will be mine...by sometime in April.

I'll try to give you some updates as I read along. . . :)

And the warning is due to Chrome's last update, or so I'm told. There is a glitch that generated such warnings for sites such as cnn.com...

Patrick

And I just had to do this...

"I renounce!" Hello Ent roared, sweeping his scathing gaze across all assembled. He glanced at Ran, not caring whether the old man sneered or no.

"I renounce Microsoft!" he continued. "As an assembly of hypocrites and profiteers."

"No!", Pat cried. "Windows is still the by far most common PC operating system, and Scott says he doesn’t like it either! There are no—"

"I renounce my Prophet!"

Gasps and sputters filled the galleries of the Board. He waited for the uproar to subside, staring for what seemed an unblinking eternity at the otherworldly aspect of Scott Bakker. His latest favorite author.

Nothing passed between them.

Somehow his gaze found Pat, who looked so ... aged with his beard squared. There was prayer in his handsome brown eyes, the promise of return. But it was far too late.

"And I renounce ..." He trailed, warred with errant passions. "I renounce Pat, and his so-called 'Fantasy Hotlist'."

"Noooo," Pat wept and whispered. "Pleaaase, Ent..."

"As a douchebag, for taunting me with the White-Luck Warrior manuscript" he continued, his voice cracking, "and a... a..."

His face a mask of solid oak, he turned without leave, began walking back the way he came. The People of the Board stared at him dumbstruck, their outrage as bright as sparks in their eyes. But they fell away before his approach. They fell away.

Archived