Bakker XII: Spoilers for PON, TJE, and WLW

Spring Bass

I'd be worried as well if I were in his position. His fantasy books are at least as good as Abercrombie's (superior IMO) but he seems to have failed miserably on the mainstream front. I guess all those criticisms of people on this board and others as well as the ones mentioned by Bakker himself have some truth to them. Something is stopping him from gaining wider popularity. The question is what is it and will Bakker be willing or able to change?

Amazon UK says it's available from May 5 now.

I checked the release date only a couple days ago and it said May 5th. When I access Amazon UK now it still only says that the title hasn't been released yet. Maybe the fates are only trying to make me look like a fool.

I'd be worried as well if I were in his position. His fantasy books are at least as good as Abercrombie's (superior IMO) but he seems to have failed miserably on the mainstream front. I guess all those criticisms of people on this board and others as well as the ones mentioned by Bakker himself have some truth to them. Something is stopping him from gaining wider popularity. The question is what is it and will Bakker be willing or able to change?

Not to say anything against Joe, I enjoyed reading his work tremendously, but both The First Law and BSC are much easier to read and, I presume, far easier to market than Bakker's books.

I do think Bakkers books deserve a bit more popularity considering how good they are not just in terms of story but prose and theme. I understand thier abit hard to read and the names put people off but still, seems like something the literature crowd could get into if they gave it a chance themes, struggle, prose philosophy not much more out there than the odessy... ah who am I kidding no one cares about fantasy literature.

So, I was thinking again about the first Apocalypse as a concept album, and track titles.

Album title - First Apocalypse

Band - A Bakker's Dozen (?, what would a PoN inspired band call themselves?)

Tracks:

1. A Visitor in Tryse (Non-man from Ishterebinith has a really weird, distorted voice. This is prog-rock shit.)

2. The Argument (Seswatha tries to convince the Kings of the North, regular hard-rock, I guess.)

3. The Great Ordeal (Lots of dudes singing, a hard-rock march.)

4. The Horns of Golgotterath (Only the blackest of black-metal is appropriate for this song, I think.)

5. In the Halls of the Rapist King (or, alternatively, "The Heron Spear") (Dunno)

6. A (No-)God Risen (Drone-music SunO))) shit)

7. Eleneot Fields (Dunno)

8. Apocalypse (Dunno)

9. The Will of Men (Power-ballad)

10. Mengedda (Dunno)

11. The Dreams of Seswatha/The Warlord's Hope (Both Seswatha and Aurang sing, basically, one about how he intends to protect the future, and the other about how he intends to destroy the future.)

Bonus Tracks:

1. Dragons Over Sauglish

2. What Am I?

The US edition comes out on March 31st.

I'm also looking for the Canadian edition, which is usually out earlier than the UK and US releases. But Penguin Canada still doesn't have a listing for the book, which is strange.

I don't know officially or anything, I was just going off Amazon. If it's out in the US before, I'll be purchasing it from there. Can Pat or someone clear it up for the UK'ers?

So, I was thinking again about the first Apocalypse as a concept album, and track titles.

Album title - First Apocalypse

Band - A Bakker's Dozen (?, what would a PoN inspired band call themselves?)

Tracks:

1. A Visitor in Tryse (Non-man from Ishterebinith has a really weird, distorted voice. This is prog-rock shit.)

2. The Argument (Seswatha tries to convince the Kings of the North, regular hard-rock, I guess.)

3. The Great Ordeal (Lots of dudes singing, a hard-rock march.)

4. The Horns of Golgotterath (Only the blackest of black-metal is appropriate for this song, I think.)

5. In the Halls of the Rapist King (or, alternatively, "The Heron Spear") (Dunno)

6. A (No-)God Risen (Drone-music SunO))) shit)

7. Eleneot Fields (Dunno)

8. Apocalypse (Dunno)

9. The Will of Men (Power-ballad)

10. Mengedda (Dunno)

11. The Dreams of Seswatha/The Warlord's Hope (Both Seswatha and Aurang sing, basically, one about how he intends to protect the future, and the other about how he intends to destroy the future.)

Bonus Tracks:

1. Dragons Over Sauglish

2. What Am I?

Thanks for that, Jurble. :D

Orbit may have decided to push it back in the UK. That's a possibility. . .

Just emailed Scott about the possibility to post a teaser extract. There's a cool Seswatha dream scene that doesn't spoil anything and would work well as a teaser. Keep your fingers crossed! ;)

Patrick

Of course he's the No-God something has to be in that gaint coffin. It all makes sense. Though now I've got the inage in my head of a Justin Bieber concert attended exclusivley by Scranc.

Of course he's the No-God something has to be in that gaint coffin. It all makes sense. Though now I've got the inage in my head of a Justin Bieber concert attended exclusivley by Scranc.

That's a creepy mental image. I can just imagine them bobbing their heads up and down, ejaculating black semen in wave after wave.

I see how it goes. You're just going to keep doing this until our heads explode, aren't you?

Hey! You guys said you were tougher than the Malazan crew! :P

I go much harder on them, you know...

Patrick

Archived