Bakker XII: Spoilers for PON, TJE, and WLW

Spring Bass

That's a creepy mental image. I can just imagine them bobbing their heads up and down, ejaculating black semen in wave after wave.

Its even creepier when you add in all the pre-teen girls that are sure to attend any Justin Bieber concert.

He wrote another one the next day where he sounds more upbeat.

I think he's just a little down right now with the way the publishing industry is doing and the way his non-Earwa books are selling.

I find myself quite disheartened by Bakker's latest blog post, where he says that he'll basically cease being an author once this series is completed, due to the lack of success he's met with his works.

:(

Economic climate and all that. I'm sure he'll get back around to writing as a full time author at some point. It wasn't so long ago they were talking about producing an adaptation of the books. He'll be fine.

Still a pity he hasn't sold more books though, I dunno I just find the Prince of Nothiing to be really high quality, interesting and thoughtfull. But I guess everyone wishes what they like was more popular.

I also read his blog post and it worries me a little. It's a shame his Earwa books don't sell better than they do, but on the other hand I'm not surprised Neuropath or Disciple didn't sell well. I really can't understand why he thought Disciple of the Dog would be his big commersial breakthrough. I'm about halfway through it and I don't see anything commersial or accessible about it. The "protagonist" is a despicable, horrible human being and revels in being so. From the very first page and onwards he tries his best to be dislikable. Also, the book is very preachy and at times I feel like I'm reading his angsty, cynical blog. And Scott thought this would do well with the big masses? Seriously, he should read Stieg Larssons trilogy if he wants to see what the masses want.

Finally I should say that I don't think Disciple is a bad book (yet), it's just not very good either.

Yeah, I've never gotten that about him either.

He wants to write accessible, but what he turns out when he tries seems to be a bit on the preachy side for accessibility.

And non-likable protagonists are crazy unpopular in my experience.

His style is too "thinky" to be pop-lit imo.

It's funny to me - his non-Earwa books seem like he's writing to the 'masses' and really, really hates them. Like he knows the formula and specifically tries to showcase how complete shit the formula is and rub it in people's faces.

It's funny to me - his non-Earwa books seem like he's writing to the 'masses' and really, really hates them. Like he knows the formula and specifically tries to showcase how complete shit the formula is and rub it in people's faces.

You know, I'd never quite thought of it that way, but your dead on. He really can't seem to write the generic formula. He tries really hard to subvert it. Which is cool and all, but the mass you try to appeal to when your going for mass appeal kinda likes the formula.

And this is why his "mainstream" books have sold so badly.

Of course he's the No-God something has to be in that gaint coffin. It all makes sense. Though now I've got the inage in my head of a Justin Bieber concert attended exclusivley by Scranc.

Justin Bieber's music is so terrible even Sranc don't like it. I'm sure there's a corner in Golgotterath reserved for him.

You know, I'd never quite thought of it that way, but your dead on. He really can't seem to write the generic formula. He tries really hard to subvert it. Which is cool and all, but the mass you try to appeal to when your going for mass appeal kinda likes the formula.

Yeah, his sexy vampire hero would fart and masturbate, with fangs dripping blood. :D The one good thing would be that readers would see him as the creepy stalker he is, while Sparkly Edward got away with it because of twu wuw and all that.

I haven't given up hope on him finding commercial success. There are innumerable cases where authors or artists lived in obscurity until sudden break outs; sometimes it's a matter of time, or just a freak occurrence of luck. All too often it's after the person has died and can't even enjoy the recognition and fame, but alas. Hopefully his day will come. But even if it doesn't, he has been able to make a pretty decent amount of money off of it, and has a small but devoted fan base, with hundreds of people discussing his creations. Compared to most people, that's pretty damn good. Sure he's nowhere near the Big Leagues for literature recognition and fame, but he's still doing well for himself. Artists remind me of people in higher income brackets, constantly looking at all the millionaires and billionaires above them enviously, while seemingly forgetting that, hey, they're still a shit-load wealthier than the vast majority of people :P

Archived