Westeros Blog: Bronn in Action

Westeros

After posing a quiz question (a rather spoilerish one at that, actually—naughty, naughty!), HBO has posted a new still from the Game of Thrones production that features Jerome Flynn as the sellsword Bronn. Flynn’s almost unrecognizable to my eye, and I suspect this photo will ease the concerns of some who know him best (or perhaps worst, depending on who you ask) from his Robson & Jerome days when his casting was announced. He really looks the part!

Visit the Site!

This was probably my least favorite casting, just based on the picture of the actor (not that I judge too much based on that; I'm willing to see what people do onscreen), but he looks pretty good here. Probably a bit wilder than I imagined Bronn, but I like how low-bottom he looks.

The question was, "What character is known as the Lord Protector of Stokeworth". A position that Bronn doesn't win for himself until AFfC. Jim (who runs the HBO GameOfThrones account) is a fan of the books, but doesn't seem to have read them too recently and refreshed his memory from a source that failed to note when developments happened. ;)

While it is a rather hard picture to really try to get the soul of the character from, he doesn't fit my mental image at all.

The character of Bronn is much more important than his look though, and that would be more where my concern would lay.

I always pictured Bronn as younger and more lithe.

Yeah, he's always described as so lean and catlike. It'll be up to the acting to make up the difference but Bronn always seemed like a thin, vicious fighter instead of another brute. High hopes for Bronn, though, something about those minor characters has a way of working out...

Yeah, he's always described as so lean and catlike. It'll be up to the acting to make up the difference but Bronn always seemed like a thin, vicious fighter instead of another brute. High hopes for Bronn, though, something about those minor characters has a way of working out...

Yeah, not how I pictured him either but in my head, what really matters about Bronn is the attitude. He is described as a very no-nonsense sort of fighter, one that wouldn't make any unnecessary move other than those that will effectively lead to victory. I know this is just a still frame, definitely too early to judge (but it's also all we've got so far), but this Bronn looks a bit too wild to me - other than too old and too blond, but that's secondary :)

The character of Bronn in the novels is definitely younger and more athletic. This Bronn will be different, but I don't see any major obstacles to making it work. One concern I have is that Ser Vardis Egen's underestimation of Bronn makes less sense if the latter is a grizzled veteran sellsword. I don't see that being a deal-killer though.

Were I the screenwriter, I'd add a line from Ser Vardis to the effect that 'if he's lived 20 years as a sellsword in this region and I've never heard of him, he can't be that good'.

The character of Bronn in the novels is definitely younger and more athletic. This Bronn will be different, but I don't see any major obstacles to making it work. One concern I have is that Ser Vardis Egen's underestimation of Bronn makes less sense if the latter is a grizzled veteran sellsword. I don't see that being a deal-killer though.

Were I the screenwriter, I'd add a line from Ser Vardis to the effect that 'if he's lived 20 years as a sellsword in this region and I've never heard of him, he can't be that good'.

He isn't a noble man, is a dirty mercenay, that's enough to understimate him.

That might actually raise some questions for the attentive viewer, though. If Bronn is as good as he is supposed to be, why hasn't anyone heard of him? And why isn't a fighter of his age and experience in the ranks of some lord, or attached to a regular sellsword company?

That might actually raise some questions for the attentive viewer, though. If Bronn is as good as he is supposed to be, why hasn't anyone heard of him? And why isn't a fighter of his age and experience in the ranks of some lord, or attached to a regular sellsword company?

Because, when faced with a fight he can't win, he chooses discretion rather than valour. If he's old enough to have fought in Robert's Rebellion, almost certainly he fought under the dragon banner.

If the one thing he's known for is self-interest, there's every chance he be kicked out of any Sellsword company... professional soldiers like to team up with people who'll watch their backs, not stab them.

Archived