Who are your favorite minor characters in asoiaf?

The faceless others

There are a tonne of minor characters in the series, they are the ones who help make the story more realistic. From those guys, who are your favorites?

To start, my favorite ones are:

1. Sandor Clegane, he's one of the most badass guys in the books. And his complex personality gets you guessing on what he'll do next.

2. Maege and Dacey Mormont, all of us loves a woman who can wield an ax. :D But sadly Dacey died after a short exposure.

3. Rodrik Cassel, I don't really know why I like this old man, but maybe his sense of loyalty counts.

4. The old bear's raven, just love reading the raven's interruptions during any conversation with LC of the NW.

5. Last but not the least, the all powerful, and all knowing... Hodor, This dimwit has more hidden in his sleeves I can feel it! :D

Sandor is mumero uno...should get a honorable POV...

beside him the other non-POV characters are somewhat less appealing. Varis and Littlefinger are very intriguing, but are they minor? anyway, beside them I'd go for doloreos Edd obviously....who else?...The Red Viper was fun while he lasted...Quaithe rules...and so does Jojen, so what? Anyway, I'm drowsy right now, so viva la Grey Worm :bowdown: ...

Yea Sandor is legend here. He came in 3rd or 4th in more than one favorite-characters-poll (which included all the POV characters too!). He steals every scene he's in.

Gurkhal - Davos is a POV character!! I like him a lot too, but yea he's POV all the way.

Other non-POV favs:

Mance Rayder

Varys

Qorin Halfhand

Geoffrey (lol, simply because he was so disgusting, every time he came up in the story - I read with attention!)

Of note:

Littlefinger

Jaqen Haghar

Rorg, Biter, The Tickler (complete scum but monsters are important)

Seems that a lot of us loves Sandor Clegane, he should be a POV character in ADWD! Hell, I should have added Bronn too, he's a loyal sellsword... well, as loyal as a sellsword should be at least. And I nearly forgot, Dolorous Edd, his black humor and gloomy perception could crack a laugh.

Mostly random top five:

1. Brynden "The Blackfish" Tully.

2. Sandor "The Hound" Clegane.

3. Barristan Selmy

4. Maege Mormont. Indeed:

2. Maege and Dacey Mormont, all of us loves a woman who can wield an ax. :D But sadly Dacey died after a short exposure.

5. Jorah Mormont (blame Iain Glen if I'm here).

Lots of others who have been mentioned; Dolorous Edd springs to mind first. Also, from the old times, Arthur Dayne.

I'd say Blackfish, Varys, Dolorous Edd, Jorah Mormont and Littlefinger.

I'll be really sad if the Blackfish ends up dying in the next book/one of the next books, no matter how greatly he might go. Same for Jorah. I was so disappointed when he left and Barristan Selmy stayed with Daenerys instead. I actually liked him and Dany together for some reason...

1 - Sandor Clegane - IMHO the most interesting character of the series. Just when I think I have him pegged he surprises me.

2 - Brynden Tully - The Blackfish is awesome. Tactical genious and great fighter. Slippery as his family mascot.

3 - Mormont Gals - Dacey's death at Red Wedding turned my stomach the most I think. I like Maege.

4 - Garlan Tyrell - Great fighter, also seems to be a great guy.

5 - Lady Olenna - Her chapter at the beginning of ASOS had me laughing out loud.

1. Ser Lord Protector Bronn of the Blackwater Stokeworth - I love this social climbing, utterly pragmatic, sarcastic, and deadly as hell rascal.

2. Tormund Giantsbane Tall-talker, Horn-blower and Breaker of Ice, Husband to Bears, the Mead-king of Ruddy Hall, Speaker to Gods and Father of Hosts. - The guy you want to, but probably shouldn't go out drinking with.

3. Ser Ilyn Payne - Creepy tongueless executioner who live for his job and apparently has a sharp sense of humor. I liked him before he became Jaime's sounding board/fencing partner but I loved him in that role.

The first question should be what criteria is used to define a character as minor. Is minor every non-main character? Is minor whoever isn't a POV?

I would classified the characters as main ones, secondary ones and minor ones. Then, on each group, we could set different levels of importance.

People like Sandor, Tywin, Blackfish and Varys (all of them favourits of mine)would be in the secondary category. Their interaction with the main characters and their importance to the story is too heavy to relegate them to the minor category.

Littlefinger is a main character for me, because his actions weight too much in the plot to underrate his importance.

Another bunch of characters belong to somewhere between secondary and minors. Let's call them minorVIP. My favourites here are Bronn, Pad, the blacksmith in Castle Black and Dany's staff (bloodriders and maids).

For me, a character quilifies as minor when his/her role in the story could be taken over by another character without much change in the outcome. Any innkeeper or men-at-arms would be included in this group.

So under that light, my favourites are Dolorous Ed, Maya Stone and Hot Pie.

I'll be really sad if the Blackfish ends up dying in the next book/one of the next books, no matter how greatly he might go. Same for Jorah. I was so disappointed when he left and Barristan Selmy stayed with Daenerys instead. I actually liked him and Dany together for some reason...

Welcome to the boards, Helled! I agree on both counts. It's been mentioned elsewhere that love scenes in ASOIAF are often somehow icky. Well, the only scenes in the book that gave me butterflies in my stomach are when Jorah kissed Daenerys and she later (?) fantasized about him. Maybe it's just because I like Iain Glen so much, and the scene could be considered icky anyway. Mileage may vary.

Welcome to the boards, Helled! I agree on both counts. It's been mentioned elsewhere that love scenes in ASOIAF are often somehow icky. Well, the only scenes in the book that gave me butterflies in my stomach are when Jorah kissed Daenerys and she later (?) fantasized about him. Maybe it's just because I like Iain Glen so much, and the scene could be considered icky anyway. Mileage may vary.

Thanks. :) I've been lurking for a while now, but only yesterday decided to actually post something.

I know... I feel like there was great potential for a relationship lost there (if they never get together, that is, and sadly I think that's what will happen). Daenerys can make terrible decisions sometimes. Such an impulsive teenager...

My favourite minor character is Pod, all the way. I've always been terribly touched by him. Especially when Tyrion was testing him on the Dornish banners and he was getting them all right and he was so proud of himself. It was adorable.

And then when he burst into tears with Brienne "He left me behind!" it just broke my little heart. I was immensely glad that he got a storyline with Brienne, even though it was a annoyingly meandering plotline. I really appreciate that he isn't being forgotten about.

Actually, the Tyrion/Pod reunion is one I'm really looking forward too. I hope it'll be gruffly sweet.

I also love Lady Oleanna - "Let's have the Rains of Castamere - we haven't had that for 5 minutes" or whatever she said. Brilliant.

And I was a bit lukewarm on Bronn all along as he seemed a bit too mechanical and unemotional. But when he named the child Tyrion, knowing it would piss everyone off and not caring - I almost cheered. I love a good Bromance. It remains to be seen whether it'll continue as such - they may never meet again. But it gave Bronn depth which I hadn't seen previously. Now I'm pretty interested in him as a character in his own right.

Archived