China Mieville' speaks for us

Parris

" seems to me to be counter-productive. Who cares if someone is using the pictures? who cares if they're posting Parris' pictures?"

I care. The photos used on the two FB pages I've been able to acess are using my photos, which are copyrighted. Many publishers pay me money for use of photos on George's books, interviews, websites, etc.. These fakesters haven't even asked if it's ok to use my photos, or George's blog posts. We're not that hard to find on the net.

"They're not posting parts of the books, they're not impersonating GRRM, and yes some fans have posted comments, but 90% of those wouldn't have reached him anyway."

Again, the two different FB pages I've seen claim that "George R R Martin is on Facebook". That is wrong. He is not on Facebook. Any person who puts up a fake page claiming that it's really George's FB page is lying. We have no control on what goes on on those fake pages, and as someone pointed out, at least one of those pages allows some pretty nasty things to be written about George, and when innocents see these fake pages they may be turned off completely to GRRM, or end up in flame wars enjoyed by trolls.

"I would also like to add to some misinformed people here - You can't lose your © because you do not pursue someone for CI. That's just not true. So in the case that someone said about selling NAB posts or anything else, that's not true. Go look it up, I know I did."

You may not lose complete copyright control, but in the USA you lose the right to sue for damages under certain conditions.

George's posts from Not A Blog are his property, and he does not give permission on his blog for those posts to be just cut and pasted elsewhere, for a variety of of reasons, not just copyright infringment.

What part of "George doesn't do Facebook, he has no plans to be on Facebook at this time, and people claiming to be George on Facebook are lying, while Facebook makes it almost impossible to stop the fakes, or even monitor them, without being a member of Facebook" can't you understand? Please go re-read what China went through.

Meanwhile, Facebook claims to be worth billions of dollars, and some very small fraction of that comes from them allowing people to put up fake pages about George or other people with a public following wile making it damn difficult to stop the abuse.

Thanks to the several people here who have said some pretty smart things in defense of our position.

• 2 months later...

I'm not sure if I can continue to cope with the sheer inane stupidity of the people posting on that Facebook page any more. Now the old favourite, "We paid for your house!" spiel has come up, showing a basic ignorance of chronology.

Any chance of anything being done to address the problem in the near future? The dissemination of false information over there is now problematic, especially with lots of newcomers to the series joining up over there as a first point of contact, under the impression it is an official GRRM page, and being bombarded with negativity and highly spurious claims.

I'm still confused why GRRM doesn't nip this in the bud and create an actual, honest to goodness facebook account and twitter account, and publicize them. You'll still have to pursue the copyrighted material like you would anywhere else, but at least that way fans could know what the 'official' accounts are and not have any real question which would at least cut down on some of the fraudulent activities.

Turn up the facebook privacy, don't accept friend requests, and don't use the thing. Just have it so that you can say you have it and that anyone else who creates one with that name is fraudulent.

A bit of an aversion to new-fangled technology (George doesn't carry a cell phone unless he absolutely has to, for similar reasons) and the hassle of it. I do think it's the right course, though, and I know Ty could set it up in a jiff (and if he's busy, I've offered to do the same as well).

Probably something that will be looked at after ADwD is done, I suspect.

So, despite Parris specifically asking on George's LJ for people not to repost the pictures and text from their wedding post elsewhere, the problematic Facebook page has done just that regardless :shocked:

Tiresomely predictable, and notably classless.

Given that, does it make sense to link to it?

Just saying....

As suspected, the main offending Facebook page has automatically reprinted GRRM's latest blog post stating that he isn't on Facebook, which is kind of amusing. However, that does lead me to believe it's an automated system without anyone actually running it, and the only way to shut it down - or at least modify it to something less dubious - is to contact Facebook directly.

• 1 month later...

So basically if that guy wrote "this is what GRRM posted in his blog" you'd be fine with it? That's what this is all about? a line of text? Is this such a big deal? Why should fans feel upset that the page is not authorized? who cares? IMO what the fans should care about is that they get the REAL updates.

As long as the updates are the same updates, I just don't see the reason for all this fuss.

I guess it has been explained to me why it's harmful.

I just don't get it, I guess.

This isn't harming anyone,except maybe in some imaganiry place in some person's mind.

Not the fans. Not GRRM. Fans that read the NAB already read the NAB, and fans that dont... can now get updated on GRRM's posts on FB. People use FB everyday, and its great for them to have something in the system instead of having to go to another site.

IF that person would use that account and start posting anything other than NAB posts, I'd back you up 100%, but he isn't.

They have a link that's called "original article". I'd say that's not unattributed.

Why do you think people write "copyrighted" on articles? Why do some artists have copyrighted right across the face of the print or photograph? Because the items are theirs to sell or not sell.

Facebook has a founder who thinks privacy and ownership is just an idea whose time has come and gone. O, unless someone claims to have invented Facebook with him...

I have no Facebook account.

Archived