MMA 11 - Beatdown after the BELL!

Horus Ex Machina

Turning away from pressure or simply backing away kills any attempt to appropriately defend. That's why alot of MMA sparring sessions become wars sometimes. Alot of coaches will tell you to go through 1 minute sessions where you just trade punches to get you used to being in the phonebooth. If you fear getting hit then technique can sometime go out the window.

My uncle/boxing coach used to have a drill he'd have us do at the end of a training session. He'd gather everyone into the ring and have two guys square off, one guy throwing in flurries while the other guy wasn't allowed to hit back. It taught you to use your footwork and your hands to get out of trouble: 45/90 steps, parries, slips, posting, etc. He'd alternate guys every minute for about 20 minutes. It kinda sucked, but was necessary.

Which is understandable, he hasn't been punched in the face as often as most fighters, and you never know how you will react until it starts happening.

Is there any way to really prepare/train for taking a beating?

Most guys, you know right away whether they can take a punch or not. Or at least you know if they react negatively (shelling up and running) or positively (staying in the pocket and firing back) to it. I guess it can be trained, but obviously it's better if it comes naturally.

Guys like Anderson, BJ, Hendo, etc. don't really mind getting punched, which is partly why they're so successful: they're willing to put themselves in danger spots to deliver their own shots, trusting that they can take whatever they get hit with. Eventually it might catch up with them, but they also have such great defensive skills, that they don't catch a lot of shots. Even in BJ's last two fights, he got beat, but it wasn't like a Chuck Liddell type of beatdown, where he got badly KO'd. Edgar was just too quick for him and beat him the only way he could.

Alot of ppl have been questioning whether or not Eddie Alvarez could "hang" with the UFC LW division. Some think that there are five fighters in the UFC who could beat him. I say that there are only 2 that he possibly couldn't beat and he'd be in both of those fights Edgar and Penn. Coin-toss with Edgar, w/ Penn it depends on where he's at in his career. Alvarez went up another level with his boxing. It was sharp, controlled, working angles on the counters, great footwork, great transitions. I think that he and Frankie Edgar have trained together, I know that they at least know each other and are on friendly terms, but it's almost like thier styles kinda rub up against each other.

But quit doubting that this man is top3 just bc he isn't in the UFC. Alot of top fighters don't fight in the UFC. You can only compare with common opponents & Gray Maynard won a contested split decision over Huerta, where he only really capitalized off of Huerta's sloppy footwork to score points but never came close to really hurting him. Florian outfought him but noone has made Huerta look as bad as Alvarez did. If this fight had taken place in the UFC, Alvarez would have been ranked off of this fight alone and probably been given a title shot. Eddie's the real deal. Hope he fights Melendez bc I think he takes that one too.

Alvarez v. Huerta fight.

Alot of ppl have been questioning whether or not Eddie Alvarez could "hang" with the UFC LW division. Some think that there are five fighters in the UFC who could beat him. I say that there are only 2 that he possibly couldn't beat and he'd be in both of those fights Edgar and Penn. Coin-toss with Edgar, w/ Penn it depends on where he's at in his career. Alvarez went up another level with his boxing. It was sharp, controlled, working angles on the counters, great footwork, great transitions. I think that he and Frankie Edgar have trained together, I know that they at least know each other and are on friendly terms, but it's almost like thier styles kinda rub up against each other.

But quit doubting that this man is top3 just bc he isn't in the UFC. Alot of top fighters don't fight in the UFC. You can only compare with common opponents & Gray Maynard won a contested split decision over Huerta, where he only really capitalized off of Huerta's sloppy footwork to score points but never came close to really hurting him. Florian outfought him but noone has made Huerta look as bad as Alvarez did. If this fight had taken place in the UFC, Alvarez would have been ranked off of this fight alone and probably been given a title shot. Eddie's the real deal. Hope he fights Melendez bc I think he takes that one too.

Alvarez v. Huerta fight.

Huerta has a hella chin. Alverez popped him a bunch times with power shots and he just ate them.

Wow, that was a beatdown. Velasquez is a beast for sure. I don't see him holding the strap for too long though. I'd have picked JDS to take down Brock if he had have won as well. Plus, Rogan cursed it by announcing the "Cain Era". JDS could easily play Shogun on that one. JDS/Velasquez couldn't possibly be anything but a hell of a fight however it goes down.

Maybe Brock simply needs better sparring partners? Who's he working with? Any current MMA fighters? He should bring in a couple of pro-boxers into his gym and hire a coach to up his game. I think that might be enough, 'cause all his athleticism, speed and power won't go away over night. He'll still pose one hell of a challenge for whichever guy he comes up against next. Will that be Velasquez, is he guaranteed a rematch?

Sorry for the disconnect, I actually was playing it on Windows Media Player which counted the hour and then the seconds instead of just counting minutes like Sherdog's player does. I should have calculated that when I put the link. It's basically what DVD ROTS said.

With this fight - can Tito Ortiz just retire already? They guy hasn't won a single match since Ken Shamrock, 4 years ago.

To be fair;

-Who knows how the Rashad fight would have gone without the cage grab/point deduction.

-Everyone he lost to/drew with went on to be a champion or was a champion (exception being Hamill, the most recent).

-All losses were decisions.

Tito has never been a favorite of mine, but I like seeing him fight. Until he is completely blown out of the water and shows he can't compete at all I'd like to see him stick around, and that goes for any of the old guard in MMA really.

It was clear that Brock does not like getting punched in the face, he turtles up fast (same thing happened in the Carwin fight).

Which is understandable, he hasn't been punched in the face as often as most fighters, and you never know how you will react until it starts happening.

Is there any way to really prepare/train for taking a beating?

He was being hit by Cain and Carwin.... it's not like he was being hit by 155lbers. As for preparing for that, I suppose he could volunteer as a pinata.

ETA: I just watched the fights. I've been away for a few weeks. Still digesting. Cain looked good -- almost exactly like Carwin. I wonder if Cain could actually beat Carwin? It seems that despite having less mass, Cain hits like a true heavyweight.

Jake Shields looked like shit.

Tito looked like a world beater for one whole round.

Diego got a huge win over a solid fighter. Fun fight to watch.

Schaub seems like he's improved a LOT since the Ultimate Fighter.

I'm stll a relative newb to the sport. Is the 'Ultimate Fighter' worth watching?

Yes and no.

It does give you insight into some of the training and usually at least one guy does have a decent career in the sport after. But make no mistake; it's a reality show and edited that way. For drama, not elucidation.

ETA: Also, it has fights if that wasn't obvious. Not with the energy of a fight with a crowd, but it's also interesting to be able to hear the corners shouting advice.

This season's TUF is one of the best yet IMHO. There is some house drama bullshit but the focus really seems to be on training and on the fights. Oh, and everything goes against Kozcheck. Watching his number one pick be put to sleep by GSP's number six pick was the best thing ever!

I'm stll a relative newb to the sport. Is the 'Ultimate Fighter' worth watching?

I've never watched it, but that's just me. I've said once or twice that certain fighters on the show might be enough to get me to briefly watch the spectacle, but it usually doesn't. I haven't been a fan of reality tv since 'The Real World'. I did enjoy 'The Contender' but I only watched the fights and read about the drama. I will watch TUF Finale but that's more of a fight card to me.

Imo, if you want insight into training, join an MMA gym. You don't have to fight, but you'll learn a few things and get your body in shape at the same time. Alot of ppl feel differently about it but especially considering that the talent on the show has dropped off significantly and they're more interesting in putting personalities on it than prospects, I feel it's a waste of time.

I like the show, mainly for the insight into training and when they have good couches, provides you a real world view of the fighters. It's pretty much how you know for sure Koz is a fuckwit, and GSP is all sorts of awesomeness. It is edited heavily, and they do have some real dipshits in the house, which does get old though.

It's worth recording on the DVR, and fast forwarding through the retarded shit.

I'm surprised no one mentioned the WEC/UFC merger starting in 2011 on here yet.

Winner of Henderson/Pettis gets Edgar/Maynard, Aldo will defend his UFC belt in January, etc. Great news.

As far as TUF, it varies season to season, and if you just enjoy MMA I'd definitely say give the show a try. Season 1 is definitely a must watch.

Archived