Batman 3 is titled "The Dark Knight Rises"

Xalinor

If he does do Azrael, I kind of like a look inspired more by this (but less over-the-top like what he did with the Joker and Scarecrow), than the traditional Azrael depiction:

http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/7500000/Azrael-batman-7525574-800-600.gif I like this

or this http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/8700000/Azrael-4-batman-8710196-900-1365.jpg

not this http://www.comicbookbin.com/artman2/uploads/5/azraelold.jpg

Here's a pretty good list of bat-villians

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Batman_Family_enemies

For Nolan's verse I would vote for:

Hush

Calendar Man

Black Mask

The Penguin

The Riddler - Out

Harley Quinn

Although I think Hush has been forced down our throats in the comics, I do think he'd make a decent Nolan villain. If you use the plastic surgery angle and potential Bruce Wayne Identity theft through plastic surgery it could be interesting. Plus there's the childhood hatred of the two characters.

Although from the threads comments it seems a lot of us would be happy with a film starring Harlequinn as the butty villain and Azrael as the nutty hero with Batman caught in the crossfire.

ETA: yet you support Simon Hurt? Morrison's sad attempt to create a Big Bad? :rolleyes:

Yeah. Cause Hurt is cool.

I'd rather watch Batman beat him up than a short bald guy with glasses who is a shrink. We already have Scarecrow occupying that position. Well, he's not short, but physically he's about as threatening to Batman as I am.

Zsasz is a good one, for instance - completely normal, completely insane, and very psychotic.

And he was in Batman Begins already. Played by that singer from James.

Speaking of Arkham inmates, I wonder if they are gonna go back there. It feels like they just left it burning in the first film.

but I have a hard time with something like Catwoman; she's too one-note and not enough of a mindfuck. Some of the villains are just too schticky (like Penguin or Mr. Freeze).

Yes, they would really have to rewrite a lot with Catwoman. The whole catburglar thing and stealing seems really yeah-who-cares when the whole of Gotham is going down the drain. If they just make her an ally, they might as well go with Robin.

"Heart of Ice" would like to have a word with you.

Yeah, unfortunately Heart of Ice didn't have as big of a cultural impact as Arnold Schwarzenegger. At this point Freeze is still radioactive.

As for other members of the gallery...

Hush - the only people who care about him are Jeph Loeb and for some strange (maybe drug induced) reason Paul Dini. Also, in the first movie they made a point that Bruce was a lonely child that hanged around with only his butler and Rachel. They'd have to retcon a lot to make him his best childhood friend who they never mentioned and he also killed his parents. I would bet Nolan doesn't even know who Hush is.

Azrael - could work, but they already did the whole copy-cat Batmen in TDK.

Bane - He's just not a good villain. He's got a stupid accent, and a silly look. Yeah, you could change all that, but why even bother calling him Bane then.

Harley Quinn - maybe if Ledger was alive. But now without the Joker, it would just seem like Joker-lite.

Phantasm - just like Hush (well, not sucky like Hush) with the retconning. If he left the world to be criminal and steals TVs in Hong Kong when did he have this whole first love thing? Also, The Mask of Phantasm is perfect the way it is, there's no need to do it again.

Talia al Ghul - I actually think she would be the best. Looking for revenge for the father thing would work great. Have Batman hunted by the cops *and* ninjas.

Azrael - could work, but they already did the whole copy-cat Batmen in TDK.

Harley Quinn - maybe if Ledger was alive. But now without the Joker, it would just seem like Joker-lite.

Phantasm - just like Hush (well, not sucky like Hush) with the retconning. If he left the world to be criminal and steals TVs in Hong Kong when did he have this whole first love thing? Also, The Mask of Phantasm is perfect the way it is, there's no need to do it again.

Talia al Ghul - I actually think she would be the best. Looking for revenge for the father thing would work great. Have Batman hunted by the cops *and* ninjas.

I think Azrael could work just as well with TDK being the set up. There was more than one copy-cat Batman in the movie and now there is one left who now feels betrayed by Batman turning from vigilante-hero to villian (from his POV after the events of TDK) so he becomes Azrael and doles out justice the way he thinks it should be done.

Harley Quinn, what if it's her and she also creates the Royal Flush gang to go up against Batman? I still think there would need to be another high-profile villian making an appearance to make it work though.

Phantasm - Only way this would work is if Rachael didn't die (as suggested in a previous post) and she becomes Phantasm. But I agree I don't think they could do any better than the animated movie did and no need to mess with perfection.

I like the idea of doing Talia al Ghul with her army of ninjas, but I still think there needs to be another high profile villian just like with the Harley Quinn scenario.

You just made Joe Quesada cry a little on the inside...

Although I think Hush has been forced down our throats in the comics, I do think he'd make a decent Nolan villain. If you use the plastic surgery angle and potential Bruce Wayne Identity theft through plastic surgery it could be interesting. Plus there's the childhood hatred of the two characters.

Although from the threads comments it seems a lot of us would be happy with a film starring Harlequinn as the butty villain and Azrael as the nutty hero with Batman caught in the crossfire.

Hush doesn't work for me. As mentioned, based on what Nolan's already given us, it would require a little bit of background retconning...and the first Hush story worked as well as it did because there was the spectre of whether or not Hush was actually Jason Todd. Sure you could re-write the story, but I think it would lack something without that angle...(granted the fact that Hush turned out to be Bruce's childhood friend from out of the blue was kinda a lame ret-con in and of itself...)

• 3 weeks later...

Hugo Strange is the main villain the new Arkham Asylum game. Would be too similar if the movie and the game had the same bad guy considering the game will come out first.

As opposed to having the Joker playing the main villain in the first game not long after the Dark Knight? If the game was coming out at the same time as the film i think it would have been a good call for Hugo Strange being the villain. As it stands it would be interesting to see who the main villain would be in the third Arkham asylum game. It makes marketing sense to cash in on the film by putting the villains that are featured at the forefront.

Have they used catwoman in the games yet?

As opposed to having the Joker playing the main villain in the first game not long after the Dark Knight? If the game was coming out at the same time as the film i think it would have been a good call for Hugo Strange being the villain. As it stands it would be interesting to see who the main villain would be in the third Arkham asylum game. It makes marketing sense to cash in on the film by putting the villains that are featured at the forefront.

Have they used catwoman in the games yet?

Catwoman, Two-Face, and Strange are all supposedly big parts of the new Arkham Asylum game.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah. Cause Hurt is cool.

I'd rather watch Batman beat him up than a short bald guy with glasses who is a shrink. We already have Scarecrow occupying that position. Well, he's not short, but physically he's about as threatening to Batman as I am.

Clearly, you haven't read many Hugo Strange comics, specifically the storyline Prey.

Hugo Strange is pretty fun. And there are many depictions of him where he's kinda badass. And the neat hook is he knows who Batman is.

Simon Hurt looks ridiculous and is a sad attempt by Grant Morrison to insert the DeveeL!! into Batman comics which didn't work. The Joker wasn't kidding when he called him a failed attempt at an archenemy. Now they've retconned him into being some kind of time-traveling ancestor of the Wayne's who worshipped Satan. Dumb.

/end comic book geek rant

Hugo strange could work well as the madman behind the scenes. I still think they'd need another decent foil for Batman though. Bringing Dent back in as the red hood could be a way of mixing the plot of prey up a little bit? Strange "cures" two face and then sends him out as a vigilante. The task force stuff sounds like it would fit the ending as well as giving Gordon a bit more to do.

If the film is now officially "rises" though, I'd hope the name would fit thematically either in the sense Batman "returns from the dead" after a leave of absence, or he becomes far more aggressive in his tackling of Gotham's problems eg realises he could probably do more good using his billions to improve the city/fund the police

Archived