College Football something something

davos

If the BCS was intended to create the maximum amount of controversy then it couldn't have been designed any better. The possibility apparently exists that Boise St could go undefeated and not even go to a BCS bowl. Of course there remains plenty of time for the current muddled situation to clarify itself.

anyway, carry on.

you know, one of the best indications that Oregon is better than any team in the SEC is the way Georgia took one look at Oregon this year, pissed themselves and ran away at the prospect of playing Oregon a few years down the road.

you know, one of the best indications that Oregon is better than any team in the SEC is the way Georgia took one look at Oregon this year, pissed themselves and ran away at the prospect of playing Oregon a few years down the road.

Well, UGA is hardly the cream of the SEC these days, and given their current situation, with Richt in the maybe/maybe not seat, I can't fault them for not wanting to get embarrassed in a couple of years...especially if they are in rebuilding mode.

Speaking for us (Auburn), I know I would love to have another home and home with a Pac-10 team. USC spanked us a couple of times in the early aughts, but they were great times both years. We smacked Washington State around in '06, but never signed up for a game there. Oregon, Stanford, or UCLA would be awesome trips, but it looks like we've locked Clemson in for the next couple of years, and I doubt our administration would be willing to give up the money of a home cupcake game. Sucks, but maybe in 2013 or so.

Yeah, I liked that article.

What's funny is hearing all these people talk about how Oregon isn't that great because they got beat by Boise and Ohio State last year. They do realize Oregon has a new quarterback, right? I mean, Oregon's doing better against the teams they beat last year by a healthy margin. It's not quite the same thing.

That being said, Oregon hasn't had to face a significantly strong defense yet. That's absolutely true. Saying that they got dismantled by Boise State or Ohio State is in itself completely wrong (an 11-point loss and a 9-point loss is not a dominant game, especially with the Ducks) but there were two telling things to me that were different about those losses that aren't the same as this year:

1. No LMJ against Boise. He truly is a huge difference maker.

2. Masoli isn't the quarterback. Right now Luck and Thomas have almost identical numbers against similar competition (they both have not played against Arizona or Cal or Oregon State). Thomas has thrown for more yards and TDs than Masoli did in all of 2008 and needs just one 300 yard game to beat Masoli for all of last season. They are simply a different team with Thomas at the helm. He takes fewer sacks, throws fewer interceptions, throws for more yards per attempt, throws more accurately, etc. Now, what he doesn't do as well is run the ball, but that seems to be fine for both LMJ and the Ducks in general

Well, UGA is hardly the cream of the SEC these days, and given their current situation, with Richt in the maybe/maybe not seat

Really? Pretty solid coach but I don't know what the SEC expectations are with the Florida/Bama/LSU championships of late..

Holy fuck. Cameron Newton probably got $200k to play at Auburn.

Bond said the former teammate told him other schools had already offered $200,000, but since Newton really liked Mississippi State and already had a relationship with head coach Dan Mullen dating to when both were at Florida, Mississippi State could get him for $180,000.

It's an allegation and an investigation, but could that kill his Heisman? Especially after the Reggie Bush crap?

Doesn't sound like much. Former MSU player and sleazy go-between for NFL agents and also country music legend tells another former MSU player that he is Cam's agent and that it is going to cost MSU 200K to get him to play for MSU, and oh, that other schools have offered that much money. So naturally the implication is that Auburn paid the Newtons a large sum to come to The Plains.

Maybe there is something to it, but I doubt it. Did you see Saunders clam up at halftime? (paraphrasing) - This has nothing to do with Auburn's recruitment of Cam Newton.

Who knows, though? If true, I would be disappointed in my alma mater. If not, I hope the Newton's lawyer sues someone's ass off.

Either way, this kills his Heisman campaign. The NCAA moves at a snails' pace, so public opinion is going to hold sway until the verdict comes down, whatever that may be. And public opinion is obviously negative. Everyone already assumes that he took the money. No one wants a Reggie Bush situation, so I'd say that LaMichael James just became your frontrunner.

I don't think it quite eliminates his Heisman campaign; it really depends on how accurate it is. If he hems and haws about it and doesn't cooperate fully, yeah, I think people will assume guilt. If he says it's complete crap, opens his life up and everyone says the same thing - I think he'll be okay.

Really? Pretty solid coach but I don't know what the SEC expectations are with the Florida/Bama/LSU championships of late..

Yeah, I think they'd be crazy to get rid of Richt, but it seems like it's being discussed on Sports Radio here in the South on a weekly basis.

Yeah, I think they'd be crazy to get rid of Richt, but it seems like it's being discussed on Sports Radio here in the South on a weekly basis.

Richt's job will be predicated on whether or not we beat either of Auburn or Tech. Lose all three rivalry games (which also means missing out on a bowl game) and he is gone, whether it's a good idea or not.

Get through to a bowl game (we'd have to beat either of Auburn or Tech for that) and win the bowl game, he'll probably be okay.

Been a shit season, that's for sure...

Man, it seems premature to me to fire someone like Richt. No doubt that this has been a shit season, but were they not curb-stomping Hawaii in the Sugar Bowl three years ago in a 10 or 11 win season?

I think too many people quit on coaches too quickly. I would give Richt at least another year to right the ship.

ETA: Hey? How about them Hokies???

That loss to JMU was clearly a fluke. I don't mean to take anything away from JMU for pulling off the upset, but VaTech has not lost a game since, and they beat a pretty respectable Georgia Tech team last night. They are in the driver's seat to win the ACC.

Boise State's win in a virtual road game @ Va Tech is a very quality win.

People have short memories. You're right, it was 2008 when we smashed the suitcase out of Hawai'i. But Georgia people have high expectations, even though we've never been the most elite of programs. I think a lot of people are unhappy that we have slipped behind the Florida and Alabama programs - even, arguably LSU and Auburn (at least this year).

Still, I think there are too many factors as to why things have not gone right this year to throw the baby (Richt) out with the bathwater.

There may be another thing that is influencing people's opinions on Richt, and that is the weird spike in arrests and general player misbehaviour this season. I think there might be a growing feeling that Richt is bringing in the wrong guys, even though much of what has been going on is minor stuff.

Congrats Texas!

ne of the reasons Texas walked away from an invitation to join the Pac-10 in June was because it would have to relinquish its plans to launch its own network.

That is turning out to be a very smart decision.

According to multiple sources, Texas stands to increase its TV revenue by $12 million per year thanks to an agreement reached with ESPN to distribute the Longhorn Network on cable systems beginning in the fall of 2011.

The sources said the deal is for 10 years and guarantees Texas $12 million annually on top of the TV revenue UT would receive as part of the Big 12's current television contracts with ABC/ESPN and Fox.

Texas is expected to earn roughly $17 million in 2011-12 and $20 million beginning in 2012-13 just from its portion of the Big 12 television money.

Does this strike anyone as sort of sleezy? I thought one of the points of joining a conference was to share the wealth, that way when you had a down year you still have the cash to compete. Regardless, glad we are joining the Big 10.

Does this strike anyone as sort of sleezy? I thought one of the points of joining a conference was to share the wealth, that way when you had a down year you still have the cash to compete. Regardless, glad we are joining the Big 10.

I can see why Texas did it. I can't see why the other Big 12 schools allowed it. Better to let the Longhorns go than to perpetuate their utter dominance. Really, really glad the Pac 12 didn't accept this sort of two-tier deal. Giving USC and UCLA $2M more (only until revenues reach a certain level) is one thing. This is suicide. Congrats Texas Tech. You are now perpetually the St. Louis Browns.

So the Pac-10 schedule has been released, and Oregon won't be doing the 'easy schedule' route next year. They start with LSU in Texas and then get Nevada at home. They have an open date which would have been Utah, except for...well, the Pac-12 wackiness.

They do manage to avoid Utah for the next two years, at least in the regular season. I can't imagine that Utah wouldn't be a favorite to win the South. Assuming that happens, their schedule looks like:

Saturday, Sept. 3 - Oregon vs. LSU

Saturday, Sept. 10 - Nevada at Oregon

Saturday, Sept. 17 - likely cupcake

Saturday, Sept. 24 - Oregon at Arizona

Saturday, Oct. 1 - BYE

Thursday, Oct. 6 - California at Oregon

Saturday, Oct. 15 - Arizona State at Oregon

Saturday, Oct. 22 - Oregon at Colorado

Saturday, Oct. 29 - Washington State at Oregon

Saturday, Nov. 5 - Oregon at Washington

Saturday, Nov. 12 - Oregon at Stanford

Saturday, Nov. 19 - USC at Oregon

Saturday, Nov. 26 - Oregon State at Oregon

Saturday, Dec. 3 - Pac-12 Championship Game (assume Utah)

So road games against LSU, Arizona and Stanford. They get Oregon State, Cal and USC at home, but that's about it. They do dodge UCLA (hah) and Utah. They get Colorado, which isn't so bad. Still, that OoC schedule is rough and then that last set of games (@Wash, @Stanford, USC, OSU) is pretty brutal. having only one bye hurts.

Interesting. Cal now has no scheduled non-conference games.

Since they are playing at AT&T Park, and the Giants surely don't want to share in September, this could get pretty funky. They may not get a home game before October 13th.

They owe Colorado the back half of a home and home. I am guessing that got written off as part of the cost of coming to the league.

I'll see Utah play a full Pac 12 slate before dubbing them the favorite. Until then, in my mind it is Arizona. They'll lose their DL studs, but most of the offense will return. ASU is also very young this year, which may pay dividends next.

You really think Arizona is better than Utah? I didn't see their schedule; I know they play Washington, but simply them not playing Oregon this year gives them a better chance than Arizona.

Archived