First Season Characters

Cypher

Hey guys,

I've looked around, but haven't seen any mention of why HBO isn't using the characters of Harwin, Beric and/or Thoros in the first season. I would think Beric and Harwin at least would be essential as set up for later in the series when Arya meets them. Has anybody heard anything about this?

I guess they could just have Eddard send out a bunch of extras bearing Winterfell's banner, and then have Arya recognize one of them down the line, but I'm surprised they don't have a Beric. The only other option I can think of is to have Eddard's charge to the group be given off-screen, and mention that Lord Beric has been sent out after the Mountain.

There's been no word on Lord Beric, but that doesn't mean we won't see him. There has been a rumor about (totally unconfirmed) that Stephen Moyer from "True Blood" was on set in Malta filming some sort of a cameo (again, I must emphasize, totally unconfirmed) and one theory is that he might be playing Beric. Another possibility is that he is playing Rhaegar in flashback sequences...and another is that it's all bullshit and he's been nowhere near the GoT set.

There are some other important characters we still haven't heard about, most notably Lord Frey and Roose Bolton. I think Bolton could be shunted to Season 2 with not too much difficulty, but Lord Frey would seem to be a key character that cannot be left out, IMO.

There are some other important characters we still haven't heard about, most notably Lord Frey and Roose Bolton. I think Bolton could be shunted to Season 2 with not too much difficulty, but Lord Frey would seem to be a key character that cannot be left out, IMO.

Yup. Lord Frey seems to be the biggest uncast person right now. OTOH, you can get around Beric. He does look completely different in aSoS, so he could just be an extra in GoT (if he appears at all) and recast in season 3.

Harwin or Thoros don't need to appear in GoT either. Ned has lots of men in KL in GoT. The audience merely has to assume that Harwin in aSoS is one of those faceless people. If they want to have an in-joke in GoT they could show some guy running around in a helm with a flaming sword during the tournament. But he doesn't need to be cast.

Harwin or Thoros don't need to appear in GoT either. Ned has lots of men in KL in GoT. The audience merely has to assume that Harwin in aSoS is one of those faceless people. If they want to have an in-joke in GoT they could show some guy running around in a helm with a flaming sword during the tournament. But he doesn't need to be cast.

Agreed, Beric doesn't absolutely need to be in the 1st season. It'd be nice though. What they could just do is show a troop of knights/men-at-arms riding out of King's Landing, with the King's Banner, the Stark Banner, and Beric Dondarrion's Banner and just mention as an aside that Lord Beric is leading the troops to go deal with Gregor. (Maybe from Sansa's POV, since she watches them go in the book).

I think we might see a good amount of just that kind of thing for minor characters who might not see a lot of screen-time. Just showing the house sigil on a banner might be good enough in a lot of those cases, and it'll be a good reference for hard-core fans (as opposed to people who will just start watching it).

Ah, I was really looking forward to see who they cast for Lord Beric... I do agree, however, that it won't be a tragedy if he will not appear in the first season (thought it would surely be nice if he does).

I would be content, if this:

What they could just do is show a troop of knights/men-at-arms riding out of King's Landing, with the King's Banner, the Stark Banner, and Beric Dondarrion's Banner and just mention as an aside that Lord Beric is leading the troops to go deal with Gregor.

happened, just as long as he's not completely overlooked in season 3 as well. (If we'll have a season 3, yes, yes, I know. :) )

GRRM confirmed back in July that Walder Frey was being cast for season one.

http://grrm.livejournal.com/2010/07/17/

However, we haven't heard anything since, so it is possible that plans have changed. The series could show Cat leave Robb's camp to parley with Lord Frey and later in the episode cut to her return with the terms of the deal. It would be a very disappointing way to handle it, but like the Tullys, it may be necessary to limit the number of sets required for season one.

Archived