The Height Hierarchy

MightilyOats

Wun Wun- 14 feet

All the Other Giants- 10-12 feet

Ser Gregor "the Mountain" Clegane- 7'8"?

Hodor, the GreatJon Umber, and the SmallJon Umber- 6'11"-7'1"

Left and Right- 6'10"-7'0" (they could be 6'10" and people would still call them 7 footers)

Andrik the Unsmiling- 6'8"-6'10"

Lord "Bronze" Yohn Royce- 6'8"-6'9"

Sandor "the Hound" Clegane- 6'7"-6'8"

Victarion Greyjoy and Greenbeard- 6'7"

King Robert Baratheon, Brienne of Tarth, "Ser"Osmund Kettleblack- 6'6"

Lem Lemoncloak- 6'5"

King Stannis Baratheon, Lord Renly Baratheon, Osfryd Kettleblack, and Osney Kettleblack- 6'4"

Lord Tywin Lannister- 6'3"-6'4" (he is said to be a tall slender man)

Ser Jaime Lannister, Ser Barristan Selmy, etc.- 6'2"

side note- I'm just barely under 6'2"(6'1 3/4"ish) and three of my four closest friends are 6'4"+(the other one is 5'8") I have quite a few friends that are also in that 6'3"-6'6" range and a couple that are taller then that but probably maxing out at 6'8".

probably around Stannis's height 6'4" but he is stick thin so he might seem taller

Maybe. He is called 'very tall' by Asha though and I'm not sure you get called 'very tall' in Asoiaf, with all those really tall folk running around, unless you are a bit over 6'4. But yes, he is very slender and has a funny hat which adds to his height. He appears to be the same height as Godry the Giantslayer in any case, because both have half a foot on Jon.

Hoster Blackwood is described as being close to 7 feet tall too. His father is also described unspecifically as "tall" though they didn't say how tall.

Funny. Irl Im about 6' 2.5'' and Im the tallest out of all my close friends. Apparently Id be pretty unspectacular in Westeros.

I love that there are so many tall people in the GRRM world.

The thought of all these tall men makes me swoon... even 6'4" is a once in a blue moon thing around here.

Where are the tall men in the real world? And why do they hook up with shorty women? I'm almost 6' and shorty men are always hitting on me.

I always found it incredibly odd that in AFFC, Brienne (6'6) calls Septon Meribald a "big" man. Septon Meribald was, according to Brienne, 6 feet flat. If someone who is 6'6 considers someone who is 6' to be "big," then how big would the average Westerosi man be? I'm thinking 5'7-5'10.

Maybe he had very broad shoulders or something.

• 4 months later...

I love that there are so many tall people in the GRRM world.

The thought of all these tall men makes me swoon... even 6'4" is a once in a blue moon thing around here.

Where are the tall men in the real world? And why do they hook up with shorty women? I'm almost 6' and shorty men are always hitting on me.

Look to Scandinavia. I'm 6'2, and that's barely an inch or two above the average height of my country, hence I only seem to be the tallest guy in the room when I'm abroad.

As an example, take Nicolai Coster-Waldau, the Danish actor playing Jaime, who goes by 6'4.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was under the impression that Dunk/ser Duncan the Tall was taller than Greatjon Umber, being dwarfed only by Hodor (the second tallest man in ASOIAF, besides Gregor).

As for real life comparisons, the tallest recorded, with a verified height, was Robert Wadlow, who 8 ft 11.1 in (2.72 m).

something to remember is that some of these characters probably have some giants blood in them. not sure it its in the book but in the show Osha claims that Hodor has giants blood, and given that she has seen actual giants i think it can be taken that given Hodors incredible size and strength she is almost certainly right. also i seem to recall that the early Kings of Winter were larger then the Lords or Winterfell

There have been people who have reached 8 feet tall in real life. Gregor could be that tall.

He's described as monstruously tall, and Sandor is not dramatically shorter.

I'd place the Mountain at 7'8'', the Smalljon and Greatjon at between 7' and 7'4'' and Sandor Clegane at between 6'10'' and 7''.

But I have to wonder if you're making characters too tall. Just because Stannis towers over Jon doesn't even mean he's over 6 feet tall, much less 6 foot four.

I have no idea where you figure the Hound's figure from.

The Mountain is described as taller, but Sansa doesn't say he towers over Sandor. Therefore I'd assume Gregor has less than half a foot on him.

As for Stannis, nobody describes Jon as short, so he'd be at least 5'8'', and he might well be 6 feet tall. It wouldn't be insane to assume Stannis is at least 6'2'' or 6'4'' if he indeed towers over Jon.

I think we should just stick to characters specifically outlined as tall: Gregor, Robert, Brienne, Dunc, Laughing Storm, Victarion, Andrik, Greatjon and Hodor. Please note that, realistically, in a medieval setting, 5'10" is pretty tall. Jaime could be that height and would have been considered tall then. Not that ASoIaF is all that realistically medieval...

Nobility are well fed. There's little reason to assume they would be shorter than modern-age people.

Archived