Episode Names

Ran

Episode Names  

173 members have voted

1. 1. How would you like episodes to be named?

• Numerically (e.g. Episode I, Episode II ... Episode X)
    • Titles (e.g. Lost's "The Constant", BSG's "33")
  2. 2. If they go with titling episodes, what sort of titles would you prefer?

• Titles drawn from quotes (e.g. "Stick Them With the Pointy End, "... The Lone Wolf Dies Alone")
    • More abstract or thematic (e.g. the series titles, like A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, etc.)
    • Either works
    • Something else (Please specify in a post)

Episode 1: "Will"

Episode 2: "Jon"

Episode 3: "Sansa"

Episode 4: "Arya"

Episode 5: "Catelyn"

Episode 6: "Tyrion"

Episode 7: "Bran"

Episode 8: "Ned"

Episode 9: "Daenerys"

Episode 10: "Arry"

I know, some of you think I'm cheating there with the last one, but since they did cast Gendry and Hot Pie I'm guess Arya will at least spend a little bit of time as Arry. New seasons? Well, plenty of new characters will be brought in each season, and in any case they can always just do ep. names like "Ned II" (haha) [/sarcasm]

• 2 weeks later...

Direct quote titles would be a treat for fans of the novels, but at this point who knows which quotes will appear word for word in the series (I'm hopeful that it will be a fair share, considering how well Martin's writing lends itself to the teleplay format).

As previously mentioned in this thread, episodic titles in Babylon 5, Deadwood and Rome were a mix; mostly abstract in nature, but with plenty of thematic connections, and here and there a title that directly references a quote or an event in the series. The Sopranos and the X-Files also have great episode titles, and they run in the same tradition. I'd love to see them go this route, and the less obvious the better. Obviously no one wants to see Ned's last episode entitled 'Heads Will Roll' or Jaime's run in with the Mummers called 'Handled'. They could also do some references, like "Weekend at Craster's", "Ned's Dead, Baby", "All Along the Night Watchtower", "Mr. Rayder, Tear Down This Wall!", etc.

On a serious note, I'd like to see titles like (and keep in mind some of these refer to events in the other books): "The Edge of the World", "Mummer's Dance", "The Last of the Giants", "The Wall is Weeping", "Dark Wings, Dark Words", "A Perilous Seat", "The Late Lord Frey", "The Dornishman's Wife", "Wildfire", "The Stallion Who Mounts the World", "Hands of Gold", "A Burning Dog", "Melisandre", "The House of Black and White", "The Stranger", that sort of thing.

Another route would be something like, say, taking house words for episode titles; i.e., there would be "Winter is Coming", "Ours is the Fury", "As High as Honor", "We Do Not Sow", "Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken", "Hear Us Roar", etc.

As far as quote-related titles go, I'm holding out for "Then I Smashed Her Fucking Head In, Like This", but I don't see it happening.

I would like the titles to be either quotes from the book (or in some way referencing them so that book readers sort of know the meaning but virgins don't. The Things I Do For Love would be a great example.)

However, now seeing the idea of just using character names I want that. They obviously won't be doing the POV chapter thing per se, as it wouldn't translate to screen well, but having the titles named for characters would be like a little shout out to fans. imo.

• 1 month later...

I guess from my perspective, the best thing about the books is the unpredictability with regard to other types of popular fiction. it may be that titles would give far too many clues to the "twists" in said episode. but then again what is anathema in writing is sometimes okay in tv.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Two titles spring to mind in such an obvious way that I will be sorely disappointed if they don't get used:

"Fucking like dogs"

"Always support the bottom"

Edited by Dennai