Belfast Minimoot 1

Qthulhu

On the subject of which, I'll maybe see about knocking up a custom board and set of pieces for the next one. I'm thinking Black pieces and leader in the centre, with the white pieces around the edge though - the entire premise and set-up of the game is far too close to Night's Watch breaking free of the Fist of the First Men not to reflect it somehow in the pieces.

Hey you could set up a nice retail line with those! And thanks again for my lovely obsidian arrowhead pendant - even if I didn't beat Qthulhu at chess for it.... :thumbsup:

My pleasure, Qthulhu was musing about how it'd be nice to have something interesting to hand out for the first meet, and obsidian seemed appropriate :) I had enough handy and was making batches of arrowheads etc. for some other commissions anyway, was no great chore to knock out a few extra for a special occasion.

Making a few generic tafl boards anyway - board burned into soft leather with a drawstring around the edge so it gathers into a pouch to keep the pieces in. Experimenting with the pieces at the moment - shed antler is a possibility, or something along the lines of pewter tokens, or even wood if it comes down to it. Pieces are always going to be light and dark, but anything I put together for sale will stay nice and generic and free of copyright infringement ;)

Anyway, on the topic at hand, I'll add my thanks to Qthulhu for organising things, and for the mead. We'll have to see what we can do for the next one :)

Hi guys, just getting online after another excellent gathering!

thanks to Qthulhu for organising and for supplying the battlefield, was great craic and with a battle history of 1 win and 1 loss, i came away happy :) Next time Mance!!

For The Vale!!!

Thanks also to Morchaint for the obsidian, supurb quality, really appreciate the time and effort that went into making it and sharing with everyone else.

looking forward to the next meet.

Ok - we had the Moot, then we had the Minimoot - mead'n'all. What about a Premier Party????

Like - what about really ORGANISING it and having a screening of the premier somewhere with food and drinks and loads of discussion and dissection and so on - a genuine, all-evening/all-afternoon-and-evening event?

I've no idea when we can get to see the premier this side of the Pond, but I'm sure others will know.

We COULD hire Robinson's again and link up with a screen and laptop and projector - or go somewhere that has all that included.

And maybe have a little merchandise sale - like Morchant's Viking chess kits, and t-shirts from HBO and other things. And show Joe's vids while we're at it! Like a mini-con only it's the premier showing.

Anyway - it's just a thought for the long winter nights.....

Should we start this as a new topic?? does it have legs???

Thoughts???

I'd say that idea has legs Silverjaime... I like the sound of the all afternoon-all evening part already!

Start with some grub (+ some drinks), then games, drinks, premier showing, drinks, discussion...

Only thing I would be concerned about is the quality of the footage we might get off a projector, I'm sure we all want to first see the show in all its splendour - there's probably some here better qualified in the world of projection & screens that could advise how "good" it could be

really like the idea of this already... maybe it does deserve its own thread? pipe up who's interested :)

Hi Guys,

Glad you had fun at the minimoot! And I'm glad it came together! Even if I had been planning to be there the weather would have scuppered me so it was not meant to be.

Keep me posted about any premiere party. Sounds like fun!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ok - we had the Moot, then we had the Minimoot - mead'n'all. What about a Premier Party????

Like - what about really ORGANISING it and having a screening of the premier somewhere with food and drinks and loads of discussion and dissection and so on - a genuine, all-evening/all-afternoon-and-evening event?

This is a very neat idea!

You should let the HBO PR folks know if you go ahead with it - it'll be a big event when they launch Game of Thrones, and they may want transatlantic audience reactions

Archived