Sean Bean's Sword

atr3us

So I was looking at the clip of Sean Bean at the top of the hill presumably preforming the opening chapter execution with Theon in the background, and noticed that the great sword in his hands does not resemble Ice. Has anyone else noticed this, or am I missing something?

Ive been reading this forum for about two years now but this is my first post...

It's Ice, alright. It's just not looking like we thought it would, that's all.

There's an image an comment here. 

I always imagined something more along the lines of Frostmourne so I'm not surprised that it looks different from what I thought. :lol:

What did all of you imagine it would look like?

It's hard to tell from that picture, but yeah, the weapon has the Valyrian steel rippling thing going on.

I think in form and shape it's more or less what people imagined. I think I would have thought of a slightly broader blade, more in line with Valyrian Steel's. But otherwise it's not far off. The biggest deviation is the unnatural, dark grey of Valyrian steel, but that's not really much of a big deal.

What did all of you imagine it would look like?

Slightly more ornate on the guard and the hilt, not quite that massive in size and having a different shade of gray on the blade. I also thought the ripples would be more visible, but that's probably just my imagination being focused on the smaller details.

Slightly more ornate on the guard and the hilt, not quite that massive in size and having a different shade of gray on the blade. I also thought the ripples would be more visible, but that's probably just my imagination being focused on the smaller details.

Aside from looking like FrostMourne I also imagined it larger. Almost as tall as Sean, is something you would have to carry on your back. Maybe I'm just exaggerating the size of a great sword. I agree on the ripples.

Aside from looking like FrostMourne I also imagined it larger. Almost as tall as Sean is something you would have to carry on your back. Maybe I'm just exaggerating the size of a great sword. I agree on the ripples.

It does appear to be resting on the ground. Which means it is a good five feet plus long.

Maybe I just have an unrealistic idea of how big a great sword should be. To many movies.

No, there are swords that are really huge. The Germanic Zweihanders could be as much as 7 feet long, tip-to-pommel, probably about a 6 foot long blade. Here's a picture, though it doesn't give scale. Most were more like 6 feet, or less, but 7 foot long ones do exist.

But go back and look at just how huge the hilt of Ice is in that picture. That is a DAMN big sword by any standard.

Here's a picture

No, there are swords that are really huge. The Germanic Zweihanders could be as much as 7 feet long, tip-to-pommel, probably about a 6 foot long blade. Here's a picture, though it doesn't give scale. Most were more like 6 feet, or less, but 7 foot long ones do exist.

Cool.

But go back and look at just how huge the hilt of Ice is in that picture. That is a DAMN big sword by any standard.

I didn't say it wasn't big I said it wasn't as big as I thought it would be.

Perhaps they don't plan on mentioning Valyrian steel beyond a reference to its value. Its talked about relatively frequently in the books, but does all of its characteristics need to be represented in the show?

Anyhow, that things fucking huge. Size is right.

I guess I always pictured ice to be much more spectacular. I know the Starks are not known for their over elaborate dress but for a known and storied great sword of their house I expected a little more pizazz.

I think its perfect. Ice is the heirloom of the House Stark, but its clearly meant for function. You go see ornate and elaborate swords at a museum, with jewels and gold in the hilt, and you know those never made it on the battlefield. They were symbols of ancestry and heritage.

The North doesn't seem like the place where you'd really have a sword for ceremonial purposes. I can imagine a past King in the North taking that onto the battlefield with him. I thought they mentioned its plainness in the books as well.

I think its perfect. Ice is the heirloom of the House Stark, but its clearly meant for function. You go see ornate and elaborate swords at a museum, with jewels and gold in the hilt, and you know those never made it on the battlefield. They were symbols of ancestry and heritage.

The North doesn't seem like the place where you'd really have a sword for ceremonial purposes. I can imagine a past King in the North taking that onto the battlefield with him. I thought they mentioned its plainness in the books as well.

That's right, Ice doesn't have "ice." It doesn't constitute "bling."

I guess I always pictured ice to be much more spectacular. I know the Starks are not known for their over elaborate dress but for a known and storied great sword of their house I expected a little more pizazz.

The plainness of their heirloom is a symbol of their no-nonsense nature. Ice is a sword made for killing. Jewels and decorations are a disadvantage in a real sword, because they risk getting stuck on things or falling off.

There's a lot of over-elaborate weapons and armour among the other houses, which should provide a nice contrast to the practicality of the Starks. Antler helms may look cool, but would be a liability in a real battle.

That's right, Ice doesn't have "ice." It doesn't constitute "bling."

The only decoration Ice needs is the blood of the vanquished. ;)

I'm just glad they didn't use the Valaryian Steel sword for the show.

Archived