The 24th Footy Thread

MercenaryChef

just watched atletica madrid v. osasuna. one of my favorite target men and my wife's footy crush diego forlan has scored twice and assisted on a third. he really does look top form again. he had a slow streak in the early fall, but i really think he is again showing his class. if the rumours are true that he is willing to leave spain for a trip back to england there has to be a line of clubs looking for his talents.

and for my toon they managed to not win v. fulham. the reports say the aussie keeper for fulham again and again stole the game from nufc. and backup keeper krul for the magpies saved a few good shots from fulham. we will take the point, but i would have liked a win.

Man U has been disappointing this season. We are getting draws in some matches where we should lose, and winning matches all by 1-0's or 2-1's. Not a game in which Man U dominates or plays really attractive football. I don't know if it's just Ronaldo gone and Rooney on the bench and Valencia injured, of if there is more to it, but Man United looks every bit as listless and underpowered as ......... well Man City actually.

The derby which I watched live this week was hideous, a total snoozefest and just a complete waste of my time. I hear fans complain about City's defensive style and that is all very true. 3 similar midfielders, the average James Milner, the "nowhere-near-as-good-as-I-was-at-Valencia" David Silva. But Man U wasn't any better now were they? Boring, just a bunch of mindnumbing bores, so little creativity.

This may the season Arsenal overtakes Man U. But then Arsenal has it's own question marks.

And Liverpool beaten by Stoke. Great job guys.

Watched Barca vs Villareal live last night. What a master Messi is. He's now played 64 games for Barcelona in 2010, and in those 64 games he has scored 65 goals. The man is a genius. Now that Villa has started scoring regularly as well.....

Villareal are a great side, no coincidence they are 3rd. Nilmar is a fantastic player, and he scored here too with a great goal. But in the end they were just overwhelmed and a size too small, though they didn't get a whuping like Sevilla did 3 weeks ago.

Elmander's coming to Sunderland, everyone knows that. :)

I'd be a bit wary of signing him, he's had a good year this year but only after 2 years of crap. That was a beautiful goal, like Gourcuff's against PSG a couple of years ago.

:lol:

I can't believe we've now drawn more games than we've lost yet remain within three points of the lead.

Than you've won, you mean: the fact that Man U haven't lost any games helps explain that little statistic. ;) 7 points away compared to 10 for Chelsea, but only one away win compared to three. The lesson: draws can be valuable.

Meanwhile, West Ham are bottom and have lost six of 13. Meanwhile Stoke are tenth and have lost 7. The difference is again in the draws. The lesson: draws can be disastrous.

Funny game, football. :)

Than you've won, you mean: the fact that Man U haven't lost any games helps explain that little statistic. ;) 7 points away compared to 10 for Chelsea, but only one away win compared to three. The lesson: draws can be valuable.

Meanwhile, West Ham are bottom and have lost six of 13. Meanwhile Stoke are tenth and have lost 7. The difference is again in the draws. The lesson: draws can be disastrous.

Funny game, football. :)

Are you trying to say that a draw is better than losing and not as good as winning? :unsure:

NUFC: I've been to both the past two home games and endured subsequent disappointment. My theory for this season is simply that we win the games we're not supposed to. Cf: Arsenal away, Everton away, AV home, mackems home, West ham err....

Stoke, Blackpool, Blackburn at home have all been spurned points. Bah. The worrying thing about Saturday's game was our lack of creativity, with the last 20m or so consisting of lumping it straight from Krul to Carroll in the hope that the boywonder does something amazing with it. I was unconvinced by Ben Arfa when I saw him, but much as Tiote looks like a good player, he's defensively minded, and Nolan.... is Nolan.

Still, we've done ok so far. Two tricky games coming up, and no one can use the cliche "Newcastle defense" critique thus far this season. Keep the faith.

Archived