The 24th Footy Thread

MercenaryChef

Dismal showing by 'Pool. Is it possible that Hodgson is even more defensive than Rafa and even less motivating? I know the squad is weak, but he doesn't have to select all slow, central players and get them to camp in their own half.

At least everyone else is still dropping points, but we just took one point from a possible six against beatable teams this week, and we lost all momentum from a four game win streak.

I enjoy seeing Arsenal do well. I have a lot of respect for Wenger's style of play and Moneyball-esque management. But their success feels brittle.

I still can't believe that result at the weekend... :shocked:

We're shit away...Chelsea are the best team in the country, hadn't conceded a goal at home...we had only one player who had scored all season in the team...we were missing our best player and our best centre-back against the best attack in the league :stunned:

It makes no sense. But I'm so happy. Actually, I think I overdosed on happiness :P when Welbeck scored I had no reaction, I couldn't physically get any happier than I already was.

What an absolutely fantastic performance :bowdown:

And really impressed with the Hallenius goal also. The next big thing from Brazil, Neymar, scored a great goal too.

I voted for Nasri though. Probably showed the most technical ability (just about over Hallenius). While the Burrows goal is amazing, it could have gone anywhere.

The Nasri goal is my favourite. Wonderful stuff.

I still can't believe that result at the weekend... :shocked:

I'm gonna predict a continued slump for Chelsea. They won't be able to handle playing without Alex, Terry, Lampard, Drogba, etc.

I'm gonna predict a continued slump for Chelsea. They won't be able to handle playing without Alex, Terry, Lampard, Drogba, etc.

While I'd be ecstatically happy at a continued Chelsea slump (Fulham fan; one sister-in-law is an Arsenal fan; brother is a ManU fan), isn't Drogba just about back to himself, and won't Lampard be back before too long? Or has Lamps had another complication with his hernia thingy?

Ivanovic and Essien could play in central defence together. The only two other recognised defenders they have are Boswinga and Ferreira. Boswinga will probably slot into the RB position, now, with Ferreira perhaps moving into CD if Ancelloti wants to keep Essien in front of the defence.

I wonder how Mancienne is doing at Wolves. They might want to recall him, if that's possible.

Edit: Also, Essien is banned for the next two games.

England :lol:

I guess the French are responding to their new manager?

Well, that was a disappointing game. What the heck is going on England? If not for the last 15 minutes, the English players were so passive... I know it was only a friendly and you were missing a few players but still, I at least expected some fighting spirit.

Still, we don't have that many victories in Wembley, so we'll take this one and mock you 'til next time we meet :P

England were pretty poor all-round. They looked better in the second half, though, with superior players like Ashley Young, Richards (unusually; but it was Jagielka) and Andy Johnson coming on. With the switching in positions for Milner and Gerrard, as well, England got a much better grasp of the game and weren't overun continually in midfield.

But anyway, team doesn't understand what is doing. Formation is not ideal. The long balls up to Carrol again and again got tiresome after the first couple of tries. Surely the management was advising the team a little better than that? The defence really needs to be directed to play the ball quicker into midfield, as well, and not hit aimlessly forward, etc.

Capello out.

Edit: And across Europe, Italy have taken to shouting racist chants against their own players, namely Balotteli. Who's a real talent they're going to need in the future. Reminds me of the treatment Neil Lennon used to receive while playing for N. Ireland. I'd be interested in knowing if that continues to this day, with McCourt and McGinn representing them. I wouldn't know, as I refuse to watch or support the team.

Anyway, I hope it doesn't put Balotelli off representing his nation.

"I feel disappointment and anger," said Italy coach Cesare Prandelli, referring to the racist abuse directed at Balotelli.

"We always hear these chants and something has to be done about it. We feel helpless. He has the support of everyone."

:(

For such a well-respected nation in the footballing world, their supporters really aren't helping continue their proud legacy. 3,000 people were at the game.

For such a well-respected nation in the footballing world, their supporters really aren't helping continue their proud legacy.

Don't forget that this is the country that elected Silvio Berlusconi (incidentally also very influential in Italian football...), and more than once, in fact.

ETA: Hey, looks like Ciprian Marica is so excited about this new "scoring goals" thing he discovered over the last year that he did it for both teams yesterday. Good for him.:thumbsup:

The long balls up to Carrol again and again got tiresome after the first couple of tries. Surely the management was advising the team a little better than that? The defence really needs to be directed to play the ball quicker into midfield, as well, and not hit aimlessly forward, etc.

That's not got much to do with the formation. And in a large part I blame the crowd - England were massively outgunned in the first half (and no proper ball-winner is a problem - I'm on Capello's side on a lot of things but playing Barry as a DM isn't one of them) but on the occasions they did manage to get a foot on the ball and start playing it around, the crowd would boo if it didn't get hit forward instantly, which of course unnerved the players who would promptly do so and lose it. England home crowds are fucking embarrassing. :angry:

Not as embarrassing as Italian ones though, the stupid bunch of dickheads.

Archived