Swancon 36

Stubby

Bros,

The next Swancon here in Perth (21-25 April 2011) will also double as Natcon 50. There has never been a BwB presence at a Swancon and we have been nudged to come along by the Swancon delegates at Worldcon in Melbourne.

I'm told that they have a group booking arrangement where 11 people pay for 10. We are in communication with the Swancon people and have been discussing a panel idea that has an impact on GoT on TV.

Here is a linky to the Swancon site for general con info.

Any ES or OS people that feel like enjoying some Sandgroper time please add your name to the list!

Cheers!

Hey stubs!

My olds are in Hawaii so I am booked in for babysitting the furry children, not sure if i can make it for the whole thing.....but perhaps there is something i can persuade the other half with to get him to look after the puppies while i come down for the fri-sun :pirate: otherwise :dunce:

keep ya updated, but if theres anything i can help with for organizing from afar let me know in the meanwhile

Nah, I doubt I'll be attending. Perth is just too far away from anything and it's not as if anyone cool actually lives there. Plus those damn WA BwBers never make the effort to visit the east coast. Not worth the flight at all :smoking:.

Yeah, of course I'll be there :thumbsup:. Not sure whether I'll go to every day of the Con but I should be able to make it to at least one or two days (probably the day when Stubs is on a panel...). At least the venue is good for next year - the Hyatt is actually pretty decent compared to the dodgy Northbridge hotel that was used this year. I'll also make sure to keep evenings free that week. As a bare minimum we should do lunch or dinner at a brewery in the Swan Valley (Elmar's has good food and booze) plus a lasagne night at my place. Beach BBQ + beach cricket is the traditional Perth get-together, but it's not the greatest time of year for that :ohwell:.

Lasagne? *drools*

Hey didn't you say you were on a health kick? Maybe we should have a salad night instead (or at least you can have salad night while the rest of us load up on carbs).

Also, it's disappointing that you don't like cycling. With the beach also ruled out due to crappy April weather we're starting to run out of fun things to do. Unless you take up heavy drinking for a week? :P

Hey didn't you say you were on a health kick? Maybe we should have a salad night instead (or at least you can have salad night while the rest of us load up on carbs).

Also, it's disappointing that you don't like cycling. With the beach also ruled out due to crappy April weather we're starting to run out of fun things to do. Unless you take up heavy drinking for a week? :P

Considering that as of last night I have lost over 19kg, I certainly won't be on the same diet by Easter next year, or I will be able to dress convincingly as Death or Skeletor! Anyway, I would take the same approach that I took at AussieCon and ignore the diet. Calories at Con don't count...don't you know anything? haha

I have far too much body hair for cycling, and I am insane enough as it is without heavy drinking. Perhaps we can find a group of Goodkind fans to follow around and heckle?

• 3 months later...

Considering that as of last night I have lost over 19kg, I certainly won't be on the same diet by Easter next year, or I will be able to dress convincingly as Death or Skeletor! Anyway, I would take the same approach that I took at AussieCon and ignore the diet. Calories at Con don't count...don't you know anything? haha

I have far too much body hair for cycling, and I am insane enough as it is without heavy drinking. Perhaps we can find a group of Goodkind fans to follow around and heckle?

Okay, officially booked in for this!!! Getting excited

Okay, officially booked in for this!!! Getting excited

Awesome!! Looking forward to catching up with you again, Cam. :)

I can now confirm that I will be on a panel at Swancon this year.

I would love to see that Panel Stubs! Unfortunately won't be able to make it over to Perth, I've already booked tix for the folkie in Canberra. I'll be thinking of you guys though :)

I might be over for a work conference in August, but it's not decided yet. Mmmm, Cardiology in Perth on the 11-14th, or go to the US for worldcon 17-21st, it's very tempting, probably wouldn't do both though it's a possibility. I'll keep you posted.

Awesome!! Looking forward to catching up with you again, Cam. :)

I can now confirm that I will be on a panel at Swancon this year.

I've already forwarded some questions for Prearts to ask of you at your panel. You'd best be prepared. :fencing:

• 3 weeks later...

Already looking forward to Stubs' panel: "Fan Expectations vs Cinematic Outcomes in the Depiction of Literary Works on Screen". Will definitely record the whole thing just so that anyone who hasn't met Stubby before can be made aware of how nerdy/boring he is. Also I think Ser Cam might be on the panel for "Religion Creation in Fantasy"? Sounds like scintillating stuff Cam...

Also I think Ser Cam might be on the panel for "Religion Creation in Fantasy"? Sounds like scintillating stuff Cam...

Actually sounds very interesting, to a nerdy/boring sort of course...

Already looking forward to Stubs' panel: "Fan Expectations vs Cinematic Outcomes in the Depiction of Literary Works on Screen". Will definitely record the whole thing just so that anyone who hasn't met Stubby before can be made aware of how nerdy/boring he is. Also I think Ser Cam might be on the panel for "Religion Creation in Fantasy"? Sounds like scintillating stuff Cam...

How do those two clowns get panels, yet we can't get one Prearts? We had many a heated/interesting debates.

How do those two clowns get panels, yet we can't get one Prearts? We had many a heated/interesting debates.

Discussions about who got the shower first do not constitute "debates".

I would love to see that Panel Stubs! Unfortunately won't be able to make it over to Perth, I've already booked tix for the folkie in Canberra. I'll be thinking of you guys though :)

I might be over for a work conference in August, but it's not decided yet. Mmmm, Cardiology in Perth on the 11-14th, or go to the US for worldcon 17-21st, it's very tempting, probably wouldn't do both though it's a possibility. I'll keep you posted.

Or do Worldcon next year in Chicago...it is going to be legen.....DARY!!!

There was no discussion...sheesh.

We showered together :rolleyes:

And that is why the BWB is such a close knit community....

Archived