London BwB Redux

Paxter

I'm up in Manchester with my parents over Christmas, but I might be able to get down to London for the 30th - put me on as a possible for now.

Might? Come on now Malt, I flew just under 4000 km to meet you and Mountain Goat in Melbourne. Manchester to London is nothing :P.

Nah, in all seriousness, it would be good to have you along if you can make it. :cheers:

@Lurky: I just noticed the new sig. Classy.

Might? Come on now Malt, I flew just under 4000 km to meet you and Mountain Goat in Melbourne. Manchester to London is nothing :P.

The distance isn't the problem, it's whether it clashes with any of the Xmas family obligations.

Not sure about red snow? Are you any chance of making it?

I'll be in London on 29th so I will be able to show face for some or all of the get together. I won't be much use at talking cricket though...

Unless the "snowpocalypse" occurs and stops the train from working on my way back to London on the 29th.

Just realised I'm going to see Tron:Legacy at the BFI IMAX lunchtime that day, so I'll be able to join folk once it's finished, most likely.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds awesome Pax, wish I could be there!

I'll just have to console myself that you'll be in the freezing snow drinking tepid dishwater, and I'll be in the warmth of the Australian sun drinking ice coldies :P

edit: sp.

can i come? jkssss

the lord of the forward defence? sounds about right..

Heh. So you decided to post after all.

And what kind of handle is "mal"? Lame.

So it is definitely the 30th prearts? I need to book my bus :)

Yep, the 30th is a definite now based on the responses so far.

Sounds awesome Pax, wish I could be there!

I'll just have to console myself that you'll be in the freezing snow drinking tepid dishwater, and I'll be in the warmth of the Australian sun drinking ice coldies :P

Yeah whatever ms. Hope your trip went well though :cheers:.

Has a venue been decided upon yet?

I'm happy to take suggestions Malt - London isn't exactly my stamping ground. What do you guys think?

Oh, OK, then; I'll throw out the first ideas.

The Bricklayers' Arms in Putney, five-ish minutes' walk from Putney Bridge station. The beer is taken very seriously. Downside: it's in Putney, aka a wee trek for most people.

The London Stone on Cannon Street. It's directly opposite Cannon Street station, which is unhelpfully closed over the Christmas period, but it's less than five minutes' walk from Mansion House and Bank. Possibility of space being problematic.

The Shakespeare's Head on Kingsway next to Holborn station. It's a Wetherspoons, so, less than special but reasonably priced, and it's big.

Wetherspoons usually have some decent guest ales on tap. The London Stone, according to its website, is a sister pub of the Pit and Pendulum in Nottingham, which I was not a great fan of when I was at university - it was always full of Goths and tended to play emo music. The Bricklayers Arms looks good, although I will defer to the locals on whether its location makes it unsuitable.

I vote against Putney, but either of the other two would be fine. Cannon Street might not be so bad, in the week between Christmas and New Year the City is likely to be practically empty anyway.

Archived