London BwB Redux

Paxter

If it was just for my benefit, I'd pick something right next to Victoria ;). Is the Banker the one right near the Bank of England that we went to (with needle?) about a year ago? Cos that was a pain in the arse to find, better to go for a place that is not concealed in a warren of winding streets, maybe?

I am a maybe at this point. Would be nice to meet up with you all again. Twice in the same year! My record of (possible) attendance may be on the up.

As to the question of what it's like introducing yourself to group for the first time; a few handy tips that have served me well:

Arrive early and scope out all possible exits.

When the target group has been identified introduce self with board name, never reveal your real name or, more imporatntly, bank details.

Sit with your back to the wall.

Avoid all direct eye contact, keep movements slow, steady and measured so as not to arouse violence in the panicky mob.

A few board members will have to be reminded quite forcefully several times, that you are NOT there for the cannibalistic cult and would like to retain your liver for own personal use.

Keep a concealed shiv on you at all times.

Never show your fear.

Follow these rules and you'll get along just fine.

Too late to put myself down? I'm in London at the moment (well, technically Surrey but inside the M25 so London for all intents and purposes) and I'll be hanging around until January 2nd. Should be fun to put some faces to names and get a few drinks down.

Sorry for the lack of posting recently, I'm in Morocco and net access is a bit patchy. The Banker looks good to me, but I'm pretty open to other suggestions if anyone objects. Isis, would you be able to look into whether or not it will be open on the 30th?

Hope the weather in the UK improves soon - I'm a bit worried that the snow might ruin people's plans to attend. :thumbsdown:

(Updated) tentative attendance list for the 30th:

Eloisa

Isis

LessThanLuke

Maltaran

MinDonner

Mountain Goat

Pax

Pebbs

red snow

Slick Mongoose

Soph + Mentat

Davieboy

Peregrinus

Liffguard

Yeah, I'll give them a call this week and report back.

If you're ringing The Banker could you check their closing time too? (One of the websites I looked at said it closed at 10.30pm, which seems a bit on the early side for a BwB meet).

Aside from that, I'd be happy with any pub big enough to fit us, reachable by public transport, and which serves food at dinnertime (pretty sure all the ones I checked did). Preferably one without a television screen... but with the numbers we have it's probably not possible to be that picky.

Thanks to the locals checking out the pub situation. :)

Sophie

I'd be more concerned that you actually get into the country with the current state of airports.

I flew in to Paris from Marrakech yesterday without any hassles, so hopefully getting to London from here by train will be fine as well.

I agree with Soph that 10 feels a bit early for a BwB meet, but absent any other pub suggestions I think we can always just start a bit earlier than usual (maybe 6:30-ish?) to compensate. Would this work for everybody?

Could someone post directions to the Banker? At least, which Tube stop is the best to use.

Malt, the Cannon Street tube station is about a 100m walk from the Banker. Looking forward to catching up with you again mate :cheers:.

I agree with Soph that 10 feels a bit early for a BwB meet, but absent any other pub suggestions I think we can always just start a bit earlier than usual (maybe 6:30-ish?) to compensate. Would this work for everybody?
Well, that's the point, isn't it. Nobody else made any realistic suggestions (although people are happy to make complaints). You'd think going to the pub was a pretty straightforward task wouldn't you? I mean, I manage to do it all the time without requiring any assistance!

By all means, those of you attending should feel free to think of another pub that meets your criteria. There are a lot of pubs in London to choose from after all. How hard can it be? :)

Not that I've been in thread but the London BwB tends to meet early and leave early because a goodly proportion of us live quite a bit outside London and have to leave to catch trains anyway so a 2200 finish is not unreasonable. There is a handy tool called Google that you can use to find other pubs that go on later...

N

Ok looks like the Banker is a goer then - I don't have a problem with the earlier finish at all if that is the normal hometime for the London BwB (plus as mentioned we can easily move on afterwards). What time is best for a meet-up time?

@Isis: I hope the "those of you attending" comment doesn't mean you aren't attending - Stubby speaks very highly of you and it would be good to meet-up :cheers:.

Ok looks like the Banker is a goer then - I don't have a problem with the earlier finish at all if that is the normal hometime for the London BwB (plus as mentioned we can easily move on afterwards). What time is best for a meet-up time?

@Isis: I hope the "those of you attending" comment doesn't mean you aren't attending - Stubby speaks very highly of you and it would be good to meet-up :cheers:.

London is "the city that sleeps" as the tube closes stupidly early meaning even those within a 40 min distance of the centre usually make a dash for that last tube (around midnight)in some warped version of Cinderella.

I found out I'm off to visit my girlfriend's family on new year's eve so I'll be leaving with that 10pm wave most likely but I'm sure there'll be some folk willing to do "one more pub", if not there's areas other that stay open for longer.

I will aim for 6ish. I'm not sure exactly what I'm doing that day but I should be around in central London in the daytime so I could even be earlier...I may not be online again before then btw so you'll have to text if you have any burning questions. :)

Paxter - I'll be there :cheers:

Archived